• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Does your OCD increase at important junctures

R

rbrt85

Does your OCD accelerate whenever you have to make important decisions? I am having this problem currently and it's at a 9/10 which has been the worst since graduating college in 2008 (currently 29).

Is there anyway to help cope with this? It is taking up around 70% of my day currently just making sure everything is in order and worrying about my phobias.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm new to the forum so it's nice to see a place where other people suffer from similar problems.

:clap:

Purple Chaos

Purple Chaos

Hi rbrt85 and welcome to the forum.

Stress can be one hell of a trigger for OCD symptoms. I found this online. I don't know if it will help or not:

Four Steps for Conquering Symptoms of Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD)
Psychiatrist Jeffrey Schwartz, author of Brain Lock: Free Yourself from Obsessive-Compulsive Behavior, offers the following four steps for dealing with OCD:

RELABEL – Recognize that the intrusive obsessive thoughts and urges are the result of OCD. For example, train yourself to say, "I don't think or feel that my hands are dirty. I'm having an obsession that my hands are dirty." Or, "I don't feel that I have the need to wash my hands. I'm having a compulsive urge to perform the compulsion of washing my hands."
REATTRIBUTE – Realize that the intensity and intrusiveness of the thought or urge is caused by OCD; it is probably related to a biochemical imbalance in the brain. Tell yourself, "It's not me—it’s my OCD," to remind you that OCD thoughts and urges are not meaningful, but are false messages from the brain.
REFOCUS – Work around the OCD thoughts by focusing your attention on something else, at least for a few minutes. Do another behavior. Say to yourself, "I'm experiencing a symptom of OCD. I need to do another behavior."
REVALUE – Do not take the OCD thought at face value. It is not significant in itself. Tell yourself, "That's just my stupid obsession. It has no meaning. That's just my brain. There's no need to pay attention to it." Remember: You can't make the thought go away, but neither do you need to pay attention to it. You can learn to go on to the next behavior.

There is quite a lot of additional information on the website, which can be found here. The self-help area can be found if you scroll down the page.

R

rbrt85

Thanks for the advice. I will try to focus on those four steps.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
jems89 Does this sound like OCD? Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 2
E Does ocd of others seem ridiculous to us? Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 6
S Does this indicate some level of OCD? I need real advice! Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 3
R Does this sound like OCD? Struggling with False Memories Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 2
T Does OCD push you to develop phobias? Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 3
T Does anyone recall the day their brain officially broke and OCD took over? Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 33
D Does your husband understand your OCD? Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 6
P What category does my OCD even go under? Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 3
Ocdthebuginmybrain Does harm OCD have to be physical? Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 2
P Does this sound ocd to you? Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 5
G Does this sound like OCD? Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 2
L What does the OCD brain look like? Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 2
C does this sound like ocd? or maybe just paranoia and delusions? please help Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 3
N H-OCD: Does anyone else have this problem? Need Reassurance/Help Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 9
T Does anyone else have major doubts about the things they love with ocd? Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 4
B does any one OCD over exlovers ? Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 19
H Does anyone else get this with harm ocd? Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 8
T My neighbor watches me OCD in my yard? Not kidding, she really does... Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 12
rattlinglady Does this sound like OCD to you... Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 5
J Sensorimotor OCD, does anyone else have it? and help! Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 20
R What age does this start? Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 9
P Does anyone else have a fear of parasites? Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 17
jajingna Does the content of obsessive thinking matter much? Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 4
M Does anyone here have an obsession with words? Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 1
magich8ball Does anyone else struggle with shopping compulsions? Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 3
P Why does my brain keep on doing this? Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 3
V does this ever happen to you Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 4
E Does anyone else have these thoughts? Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 3
1 Does anyone else feel that this is true? Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 17
F Does anyone else do this? Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 6
MissPink Does anyone get support from their loved ones? Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 1
S Does Anyone Else Go Through This? PLEASE ANSWER Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 6
CyranoSCW Obsession with body odor-does anyone else have it? Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 4
C Does this obsession sound similar to anyone else's? Kind of gross (fecal related). Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 1
G does this sound like pure o? my story Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 1
B Pure OCD and reputation damaged. Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 0
E After getting diagnosed my OCD got worse Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 5
Timae7 What happened (harm OCD story) Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 0
P My OCD Experience Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 7
N Stressed harm OCD Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 2
M Do I Have OCD or Just Overthinking? Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 1
A Religious OCD Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 2
G My OCD cured perfectly Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 4
dontknowwhattodowithoutyou I am the worst person ever. real event ocd TW sexual Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 3
JAYBOY100 Never felt like this before OCD intrusive thoughts? 😔 Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 8
A I am afraid I will lose someone due to OCD Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 7
Jrick35 OCD/Intrusive thoughts Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 3
O Ocd thoughts Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 7
stevie_sloth How do I know if it's GAD or OCD? Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 17
B OCD? Sexual/violent/intrusive thoughts. Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 8