• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Does your husband understand your OCD?

D

dica88

Hi guys, this is my first post here. I suffer from OCD for more than 15 years. When I got married it almost passed, I was better and almost not having strange thoughts. The last year things got worse, and I am now with more obsessive behaviours as ever.

My husband noticed I got worse and he can't understand why I do these things. It's not like I can control my thoughts, I am obsessed with germs and behaviours which look normal to other caused me extreme anxiety.

He has also some behaviours which make my heart race, and he is with lack of patience. He says I feel disgusted by him and his family, I don't want them in my house... I feel like I will explode with all this, I can't add anymore stress and anxiety, really.

He actually booked an appointment with a therapist and I feel it's hard going there, but is good to go there and speak with someone else in a most honest way. But I do feel I need more support at home, the recognition this is something I can not control.
"Why you just not wash your hands?". Things like this do not help, even though I understand his side too. But just increases my anxiety!!!

Anyone here experiencing the same?

P

Professionalhypochondriac

Hi guys, this is my first post here. I suffer from OCD for more than 15 years. When I got married it almost passed, I was better and almost not having strange thoughts. The last year things got worse, and I am now with more obsessive behaviours as ever.

My husband noticed I got worse and he can't understand why I do these things. It's not like I can control my thoughts, I am obsessed with germs and behaviours which look normal to other caused me extreme anxiety.

He has also some behaviours which make my heart race, and he is with lack of patience. He says I feel disgusted by him and his family, I don't want them in my house... I feel like I will explode with all this, I can't add anymore stress and anxiety, really.

He actually booked an appointment with a therapist and I feel it's hard going there, but is good to go there and speak with someone else in a most honest way. But I do feel I need more support at home, the recognition this is something I can not control.
"Why you just not wash your hands?". Things like this do not help, even though I understand his side too. But just increases my anxiety!!!

Anyone here experiencing the same?
I think when somebody doesnot suffer with mental health issues they find it hard to empathise with the thought process that goes on in our heads.
I have the same problem with my other half... and let me tell you over the years has been the source of a few arguments 😩
To some degree I think their reactions are sometimes manifestations of their own frustrations at not being able to understand and help us.
Best advice I could give to a loved one is research and research... by better understanding what you are going threw they may be better equipped to help you.

D

dica88

I think when somebody doesnot suffer with mental health issues they find it hard to empathise with the thought process that goes on in our heads.
I have the same problem with my other half... and let me tell you over the years has been the source of a few arguments 😩
To some degree I think their reactions are sometimes manifestations of their own frustrations at not being able to understand and help us.
Best advice I could give to a loved one is research and research... by better understanding what you are going threw they may be better equipped to help you.
At last someone who can understand me. Thank you so much! Yes, they feel frustrate too, which only increases our anxiety :(

Thanks a lot for sharing your experience!

K

KitKat90

OCD has affected my marriage. It sounds like your husband is there to help you with getting treatment. I don’t think anyone understands unless they suffer with it. I hope your appointment goes well :hug:

R

Rogue7

I think it's great that you are seeking therapy together. I'm lucky to have a supportive husband except sometimes he's a tad over the top, asking every 2 seconds if I'm OK and it's driving me crazy. I hope your husband learns to speak to you with more compassion, it's not like we choose to have OCD.