• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Does your doctor seem to know or understand what agoraphobia is?

Carol1952

Carol1952

I can tell you for sure mine doesnt. I have to tell him time and time again why I cannot go out and yet he keeps asking me over and over again why. I tell him that I have agoraphobia but it is like talking to a wall. i dont think he even knows what it means. He always wants to know it I have people to talk to of course i do i have a good friend who visits with me three to four times a week. Other then that i just dont feel to comfortable around people. My mother use to tell me they will laugh at me or make fun of me.That I am strange.Why because I dont feel at ease around others? I cannot help it iHave always been a nervous person and now I am very anxious.

DanL15000

DanL15000

Hmmm, which one? The Psychiatrist I saw for four years that diagnosed me as Severe Agoraphobic with Panic among other things and supported the idea that I was disabled. Although disability was for my ruined hands that a surgeon limited me to using for two hours a day.

Or, the Therapist I saw for five times, that worked at a rehabilitation outfit that specializes in convincing people to go back to work? Who said I was only a mild Agoraphobic?

Carol1952

Carol1952

Hmmm, which one? The Psychiatrist I saw for four years that diagnosed me as Severe Agoraphobic with Panic among other things and supported the idea that I was disabled. Although disability was for my ruined hands that a surgeon limited me to using for two hours a day.

Or, the Therapist I saw for five times, that worked at a rehabilitation outfit that specializes in convincing people to go back to work? Who said I was only a mild Agoraphobic?
MY shrink i have been to others to and they dont get it either

Zackthemaniac

Zackthemaniac

Your psychiatrist asking you questions about why you cant go outside or similar things whenever you meet could be a technique to try to help you think logically about your condition to help challenge it, its not necessarily because hes stupid and doesnt already know the answer. If a person has a masters or doctorate in psychology, then Id be pretty confident then know about agoraphobia.

DanL15000

DanL15000

Your psychiatrist asking you questions about why you cant go outside or similar things whenever you meet could be a technique to try to help you think logically about your condition to help challenge it, its not necessarily because hes stupid and doesnt already know the answer. If a person has a masters or doctorate in psychology, then Id be pretty confident then know about agoraphobia.
I doubt my "Therapist" had a masters in anything. Nonprofit so the salaries are public. No one makes over $35,000 a year. Hmmm...I was saying something in another thread about Medicaid not being the same as good insurance?

PetitPois

PetitPois

I am not sure. I was surprised when I read in my Drs notes that I am agoraphobic. I thought I wasn't as I manage to go to emergency appointments. Well I have missed dentists when I really needed to see them and some hospital appointments, but as I say I manage sometimes. But yet it is listed on my medical notes. They did not discuss it with me.

So I don't truly understand what agoraphobia is. I mean I know I am scared to go outside, and struggle around people, but that is all I know.

That must be so frustrating being continually questioned about something when you have already explained as best you can.

Carol1952

Carol1952

I am not sure. I was surprised when I read in my Drs notes that I am agoraphobic. I thought I wasn't as I manage to go to emergency appointments. Well I have missed dentists when I really needed to see them and some hospital appointments, but as I say I manage sometimes. But yet it is listed on my medical notes. They did not discuss it with me.

So I don't truly understand what agoraphobia is. I mean I know I am scared to go outside, and struggle around people, but that is all I know.

That must be so frustrating being continually questioned about something when you have already explained as best you can.
It can be very annoying asking me the same damn question over and over again.You would think him being a doctor he would know what agoraphobia is

Hillman hunter

Hillman hunter

I found it stressful talking to head doctor, she said- forget anxiety , what about this other issue , huh, wish i could , i kept saying i think people are watching me constantly and laughing at me,

maybe she got fed up of me repeating myself like a broken record , i can understand that,
but i then revert to my usual thinking, that people dont like me and im a pest , that im faking it , or exaggeratting - cant spell!

Carol1952

Carol1952

I found it stressful talking to head doctor, she said- forget anxiety , what about this other issue , huh, wish i could , i kept saying i think people are watching me constantly and laughing at me,

maybe she got fed up of me repeating myself like a broken record , i can understand that,
but i then revert to my usual thinking, that people dont like me and im a pest , that im faking it , or exaggeratting - cant spell!
well i like you.most doctors just dont get it.they think we are making it up

Hillman hunter

Hillman hunter

well i like you.most doctors just dont get it.they think we are making it up
☀🎄
Hi Carol .

bless you, i like you too.
:grouphug:
i know , ive seen so many doctors since 19, they need to walk a mile in our shoes!

im full up, eating nuts - yum, apple juice too,

Carol1952

Carol1952

☀🎄
Hi Carol .

bless you, i like you too.
:grouphug:
i know , ive seen so many doctors since 19, they need to walk a mile in our shoes!

im full up, eating nuts - yum, apple juice too,
Hi,i have had many doctors to when i was suffering so much in the nursing home people would get mad because use to yell for my meds sometimes they were about two to three hours late and they got mad.I was feeling some kind of withdrawal yet they still took there time.sometimes i would have to wait until 10pm just to get them.It was like 15 hours sometimes when i didnt get them they dont care sometimes the nurses would laugh because i had to wait assholes real assholes Then they had the nerve to yell at me for yelling.guess they didnt like it when i called them some names.to bad they are useless nursing homes suck.Apple juice makes me poop lol

Hillman hunter

Hillman hunter

Hi,i have had many doctors to when i was suffering so much in the nursing home people would get mad because use to yell for my meds sometimes they were about two to three hours late and they got mad.I was feeling some kind of withdrawal yet they still took there time.sometimes i would have to wait until 10pm just to get them.It was like 15 hours sometimes when i didnt get them they dont care sometimes the nurses would laugh because i had to wait assholes real assholes Then they had the nerve to yell at me for yelling.guess they didnt like it when i called them some names.to bad they are useless nursing homes suck.Apple juice makes me poop lol
Hello,
Oh god im so sorry you had to got through that !
Thankfully your away from that nursing home , its horrible they did that with your medicine , some very cruel people out there !
should close the place down !

oh dear about apple juice ,

Carol1952

Carol1952

Hello,
Oh god im so sorry you had to got through that !
Thankfully your away from that nursing home , its horrible they did that with your medicine , some very cruel people out there !
should close the place down !

oh dear about apple juice ,
That is why they are having companions care workers coming into your house they want to do away with nursing homes.
I had some apple juice.So what have you been up to today.I been trying to finish off the afghan I am making for my friends mother it is almost done.
Nursing homes will be closed if this continues the elderly get treated so badit just isn t right ,they would have an alarm that goes off if someone got out of bed the nurses were so rude they would yell at the people for doing that.i know it is to protect them but still there is no excuse for that.
I got my swiss colonly stuff in today i got myself some spice pumpkin cookies but they have cream cheese in the middle.I got my duaghter some peti fours.i dont think they need to be refrigerated.i wrapped it up.
I am starving

Hillman hunter

Hillman hunter

That is why they are having companions care workers coming into your house they want to do away with nursing homes.
I had some apple juice.So what have you been up to today.I been trying to finish off the afghan I am making for my friends mother it is almost done.
Nursing homes will be closed if this continues the elderly get treated so badit just isn t right ,they would have an alarm that goes off if someone got out of bed the nurses were so rude they would yell at the people for doing that.i know it is to protect them but still there is no excuse for that.
I got my swiss colonly stuff in today i got myself some spice pumpkin cookies but they have cream cheese in the middle.I got my duaghter some peti fours.i dont think they need to be refrigerated.i wrapped it up.
I am starving
Hello

Just woke up, been resting for a while , i did lots of biking yesterday and housework/garden.
What you been eating today?
i had brown rice , chick peas and tuna - yum!

Sounds nice your afghan, what colour is it?
my mom sued to knit for charity that sent clothes out to Africa .

Truly horrible that care home sounded,
thank God your away from there now!

My boy cat is beside me now , hes warm

Carol1952

Carol1952

Hello

Just woke up, been resting for a while , i did lots of biking yesterday and housework/garden.
What you been eating today?
i had brown rice , chick peas and tuna - yum!

Sounds nice your afghan, what colour is it?
my mom sued to knit for charity that sent clothes out to Africa .

Truly horrible that care home sounded,
thank God your away from there now!

My boy cat is beside me now , hes warm
it is i=like a mint green color but it also has white and yellow.