• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Does walking help with depression?

S

sadsadsad

What are your experiences?

How do you make yourself do it if you are really low.

antimatterTek

antimatterTek

Any kind of exercise is good for depression. It get the good brain juices flowing.

I would find a lake or something you have to complete the walk around to force yourself to keep going. If you can't stop you have no other choice.

I lived by a lake and my wife and I would frequently take walks together. It did help a little.

See if you can't find a friend you can pair up with and have a weekly walk or two - everyday would be the best case, but let's be realistic.

Fairy Lucretia

Fairy Lucretia

i walk my dog maddie-it is the only time i go outside
i have to really push myself when i do it but in the end i enjoy it
could you get a dog to encourage you to walk? x

T

Tonic

Former member
yes walking is good for depression.

in all weathers

especially if you like walking.

if you don't like walking, maybe it isn't so helpful. ]

you should do what you enjoy

R

Rusalochka

Former member
I can't walk much because of the awful medications I have. They caused me to not only gain weight, but my legs are swollen and walking more than three or five minutes is enough for me. I end up losing my breath.

I believe walking can be nice. As long as you're able to walk long enough and if you're walking in a beautiful forest or park.

S

sadsadsad

Thank you for all the replies.

I can't afford a dog, sadly.

My favourite park is the place I rage quit my job (I worked in their cafes). So I am afraid to go there and see colleagues/ managers/ etc.

There is another park but further away, requires some walking through town.

I miss the previous town where I lived, I could go on walks by the sea, there were beautiful paths through woods next to the sea. Beautiful and treacherous, it was exciting. But I couldn't afford to live there.

H

Helena1

Staff Member on Leave
Depends how bad I am, I just feel a bit down walking is good. if I am very suicidal I find stuff I see walking too triggering and feel it is too risky so is better to stay inside.

I like to walk to stuff, so to the local shop or to town etc. Also listening to music makes it a lot better, I used to say I could only listen to my favourite music when I was exercising. I had to walk to town without my music last week and it was hell as I was super anxious with all the people and the bird song which I find really irritating.

LORD BURT

LORD BURT

Former member

What are your experiences?

How do you make yourself do it if you are really low.
Yes walking can boost your mood.

I walk locally when I can. I like the idea of walking in nature when I can, but sometimes find the idea a bit daunting. Last year I bought all the hiking gear for day walks. Now the weather is cooler I might try and get out there.

When I am feeling really low, I don't go out.

W

winofunk

Former member
I love to go walking. It is usually the only exercise I get. I struggle with going out, though. So I bought myself waterproof trousers and waterproof shoes and I go out when it is pouring with rain (happens frequently here in Scotland) and there are far fewer people about. I also like to go out walking late at night, when it is dark. It does lift my mood and it helps with making me tired - a proper feeling of tiredness, rather than just feeling lethargic and wanting to doze.

If I am out, I like to put my headphones in and listen to something cheesy with a good beat. It helps me keep a good pace, and also helps a little with alleviating the usual stress and anxiety I feel when outdoors.