• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Does this sound more like depression/anxiety?

C

CmdrATG

I'm 19 years old and for the past couple of years I had feelings of worthlessness and low self esteem which I still do today. Back in high school I was bullied and I would put on a mask to hide my true self and made it seem I was happy to some of the people I use to hang out with. It's been year since I graduated high school and I still find myself struggling with these problems. There are times I'm happy when I listen to music or watch a movie, and when I'm on my PlayStation, but it stays for a short period of time and I go back to thinking the same thoughts and I'm also angry and bitter about the things in my life and the past? I get nervous when I'm around people and not sociable especially when it comes to talking to girls cause I believe I deserve to loneliness no one should be in my life. My so called brother thinks I'm only showing symptoms and told me the other day "I don't know whatever the hell you going through" and tells me I should be put in a psychiatric clinic sometimes, but anyways does this sound more like depression/anxiety or both?

N

Nicola398

Former member
It sounds like a mix of depression and anxiety CmdrATG but I think the cause is the bullying you experienced not a mental illness.You may need help to get over the nasty things that were said and done to you.Name calling, practical jokes, humiliation, being ganged up on or ostracized , being singled out and made to feel there is something wrong with you , generally feeling excluded or different for the all the wrong reasons,all cause trauma and lead to quite bad depression and low mood and anxieties.
You need support and to kind of have a debriefing where you can heal the hurt and see how it was the bully that was in the wrong and the problem not you.Even though it feels it is you now that has the problem and is to others , like your brother, that is not the case.Are there any counselors you can see , try and contact an anti bullying support network too because really you need help to heal any internalized affects the bullies and the bullying have caused.Get some support and I am sure you will be back to feeling good again.Best wishes.NicolaX

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

I can only really agree with Nicola.
It does sound like depression and anxiety.
However it's clear that there are life events and dynamics with those around you (your family) that are causing this. Therefore, it would be good for you to have some counselling to talk through these feelings
Have you seen your GP at all about how you're feeling? They may be able to refer you to counselling services in your area. x

C

CmdrATG

It wasn't just the bullying I did went through a traumatic experience. My parents died when was still a child in the same year and month. I forgot to mention that as well. And what does GP sand for?

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

It wasn't just the bullying I did went through a traumatic experience. My parents died when was still a child in the same year and month. I forgot to mention that as well. And what does GP sand for?
General Practitioner.. I take it you're not from the UK? I'm sorry to presume you were.
Anyway, I still think counselling would be a good way forward. x