• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Does this sound like hypomania?

• Thread starter Lemonadepopsicles
  • Start date
L

Lemonadepopsicles

Hi I’m new to the forum. I am diagnosed with major depressive disorder and had my first severe depressive episode in winter. I was hospitalized and had a suicide attempt in February. It got better from around April and I have been prettt stable all summer. Now school has started and about a week ago I had a very good mood and it lasted until two days ago.

I had so much energy, flirting more on dating apps, exercising a lot which I usually hate, talking a lot in class and so much that the teacher had to stop me. School was so fun and every subject was interesting and I had a ton of ideas. I cleaned my whole room which has not happened in over a year. I felt so so good until two days ago when I was in a group gym session. All of the sudden exercising was not super fun and I was tired and wanted to go to bed.

That night I slept 10-11 hours and the next day I was unmotivated and just tired so I spent the day in bed. I had to cancel a yoga class that day and today I canceled two group gym classes. I just don’t have the same energy or motivation to participate than when I booked those classes. I spent the day in bed again today and I’m just wondering what the hell happened? I feel disappointed in myself and just want to get back to that high again. I’m in my Pyjamas all day, haven’t brushed my theeth this morning and I feel like a failure. So I’m wondering if that period of feeling super well sounds like hypomania for those who have bipolar2. Is this something to talk to my therapist about? What if I am taking the wrong medication for my problems?

2Much2Feel

Hey, @Lemonadepopsicles, welcome to the forum. Good question. I don't really understand hypomania myself, although I've been diagnosed with bipolar II and depression, I understand your feelings. But I still don't quite understand it. Others will chime in here who have a better idea. In the meantime, I hope you can force yourself into the shower, brush your teeth, do the basics. That can help with the mental state. I say this after spending the past 2 days in bed, so I understand, it can all feel impossible at times. But this feeling will pass. You will get back on your feet again. Wish you the best of luck, sounds like you are doing what you can, which is awesome. xx

Wishbone

Wishbone

Hi LP.
It could be but it's also something that someone could 'wing' so I think the docs tend to go with at least two big episodes, one of which would have to be hypomania or mania, and I'm guessing here but I imagine that a hypo lasting a few days wouldn't be enough for them to be sure yet so they would likely pencil in a possible Bipolar diagnosis and confirm it if you had a bigger one in the future. It's a serious diagnosis which comes with serious treatment so they won't make it lightly.

What meds are you taking and how long have you been taking them?

Amazingly

Amazingly

Be careful because sometimes an antidepressant can trigger hypomanic/manic episodes in people who don’t have bipolar.
Talk with your doctor about it.

L

Lemonadepopsicles

Hi LP.
It could be but it's also something that someone could 'wing' so I think the docs tend to go with at least two big episodes, one of which would have to be hypomania or mania, and I'm guessing here but I imagine that a hypo lasting a few days wouldn't be enough for them to be sure yet so they would likely pencil in a possible Bipolar diagnosis and confirm it if you had a bigger one in the future. It's a serious diagnosis which comes with serious treatment so they won't make it lightly.

What meds are you taking and how long have you been taking them?
I live in Scandinavia and we use the icd 10 for diagnosis and 4 days or more is considerd an episode. I think it has to last a week in the dsm5 so it’s a little different. I have been on lexapro 20 mg for 5 months. But I think so too that they do have to be sure because of all the medications. It could probably mess people up if given the wrong medications. I’m just scared to get new depressive episodes. I felt so detached to reality and felt like nothing was real. Had a lot of unusual thoughts and beliefes. I shut myself off from everyone and I was so sure I would never get better😔

L

Lemonadepopsicles

Be careful because sometimes an antidepressant can trigger hypomanic/manic episodes in people who don’t have bipolar.
Talk with your doctor about it.
I haven’t heard of antidepressants cause und hypomania but thanks I will talk to my doctor.

Wishbone

Wishbone

Yeah, this is why I said what I did. When you're first presenting with episodes they're not in a hurry to say "This person for sure has Bipolar disorder!" unless they have an unmistakable manic episode, so they may be hesitant to diagnose, even though technically it could be long enough in duration, I'm sure they would like to see it again at least once before getting close to confirming.

I don't know about the specific effects of Lexapro as it's not something I've taken myself but given that it is an antidepressant you could expect to see a reaction, however, I would expect it to happen a good deal sooner and not go away after 4 days either, so it could just have been a random period of wellness within the midst of feeling not so good. A quick search tells me 20mg is a high dose so again, I would assume a reaction before now and one that lasts longer (I'm no doctor though so do check in with them and see what they say).

L

Lemonadepopsicles

Yeah, this is why I said what I did. When you're first presenting with episodes they're not in a hurry to say "This person for sure has Bipolar disorder!" unless they have an unmistakable manic episode, so they may be hesitant to diagnose, even though technically it could be long enough in duration, I'm sure they would like to see it again at least once before getting close to confirming.

I don't know about the specific effects of Lexapro as it's not something I've taken myself but given that it is an antidepressant you could expect to see a reaction, however, I would expect it to happen a good deal sooner and not go away after 4 days either, so it could just have been a random period of wellness within the midst of feeling not so good. A quick search tells me 20mg is a high dose so again, I would assume a reaction before now and one that lasts longer (I'm no doctor though so do check in with them and see what they say).
Yes i think my dose is the maximum dose. But I think it’s also the regular dose you just have to slowly build up at first. I think I will just see how my mood is and just focus on self care and talk about it to my therapists or my doctor. The best thing would be if the “hypomania” is the normal me and I just have forgotten how it feels to be normal😂. I will update when I get it touch with my therapist. Thanks for your insights 😊

I

InnovatingProfessor

Yes this are symptoms of hypomania. Cleaning you see more with females with Bipolar type 2.
[I had so much energy, flirting more on dating apps, exercising a lot which I usually hate, talking a lot in class and so much that the teacher had to stop me. School was so fun and every subject was interesting and I had a ton of ideas. I cleaned my whole room which has not happened in over a year. I felt so so good until two days ago when I was in a group gym session. ]

But if this was your "normal" - baseline mood it isn't hypomania. The boundy of hypomania and normal can be easy look like each other. So people can easily mislead and think they are normal or otherwise.

Switch
All of the sudden exercising was not super fun and I was tired and wanted to go to bed.
-----
Sensitivity response switch to manic to this means there is a high chance at bipolar.
I suspect if they up to dose the hypomania will get worse and the depression will trashed or you'll getting fast cycling of episodes.

Discuss with your professional: tell your possible "up reaction" (the sympt. of hypomania)
-----
When I was 18 years old, I did develope a manic psychosis due an AD.

Gigirez

Gigirez

I have bipolar 2. I don't think I've had a hypomanic episode in years, though looking back it's how I spent my teens. I barely slept, sometimes not for days, worked 40+ hours a week, went to school (high school, then college for a bit), and hit every social outing. I felt fast and fearless and like I was the best, at everything. I had terrible road rage and once ran from a cop at 105 mph. My temper was so bad I would kinda black out, often times not remembering the episode when it was over.

That's my experience. Good luck on your mental health journey!

L

Lemonadepopsicles

Yes this are symptoms of hypomania. Cleaning you see more with females with Bipolar type 2.
[I had so much energy, flirting more on dating apps, exercising a lot which I usually hate, talking a lot in class and so much that the teacher had to stop me. School was so fun and every subject was interesting and I had a ton of ideas. I cleaned my whole room which has not happened in over a year. I felt so so good until two days ago when I was in a group gym session. ]

But if this was your "normal" - baseline mood it isn't hypomania. The boundy of hypomania and normal can be easy look like each other. So people can easily mislead and think they are normal or otherwise.

Switch
All of the sudden exercising was not super fun and I was tired and wanted to go to bed.
-----
Sensitivity response switch to manic to this means there is a high chance at bipolar.
I suspect if they up to dose the hypomania will get worse and the depression will trashed or you'll getting fast cycling of episodes.

Discuss with your professional: tell your possible "up reaction" (the sympt. of hypomania)
-----
When I was 18 years old, I did develope a manic psychosis due an AD.
Thank you for replying and sharing your story. I’m feeling very down at the moment. I have talked to my psychologist but I haven’t mentioned that I suspect a hypomanic episode because I think that just makes me sound like a hypocondriac. If that makes sense? I just don’t know how to bring it up. :/

I

InnovatingProfessor

Just tell the things I quoted in the [ I had so much energy, flirting more on dating apps, exercising a lot which I usually hate, talking a lot in class and so much that the teacher had to stop me. School was so fun and every subject was interesting and I had a ton of ideas. I cleaned my whole room which has not happened in over a year. I felt so so good until two days ago when I was in a group gym session. ]

Also say it was 'different from my normal being'.

Don't use the medical terms, because some psychiatrist will think you are showing the diagnose.