• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Does this sound like an eating disorder?

L

Lori_2315

I’m not sure if I have an eating disorder. I’m not really sure what’s classed as one. I hate eating. Anytime I eat I feel disgusting and guilty. Today I had a can of coke after only drinking water for about 7 months and I feel like I’ve failed.

I feel ill and tried all the time, I’m extremely pale, have dark circles under my eyes and always feel shaky/dizzy.

I haven’t had a good relationship with food for about 2 years now. I usually go around 24 hours without eating and then I’ll sort of stuff my face with food (that’s a bit of an exaggeration). I’ll eat maybe some chocolate or something unhealthy, and then have dinner, then maybe something else after. I counted my calories for a few days but have now realised I was usually eating much less than the recommended amount. Recently I read the recommended amount is around 2000 for women which I have been way off.

I hate what I see in the mirror, I feel as though I’m fat but when I weigh myself I’m my usual weight (though I have lost a few stones in just under a year (about 8/9 months) by cutting down food) I don’t feel as though that’s a lot to lose by not eating, which is why I don’t really think I have an eating disorder. But I’m not really skinny, although I have noticed recently my hips stick out more than they did and I’ve been getting a bit worried about it.

I feel guilty even if I’ve gained a pound. But when I lose a pound I feel relieved. I can’t really eat a lot now. I read somewhere that not eating can cause your stomach to shrink (don’t know if it’s true or not) but I can’t seem to eat as much as I used to. Eating a full normal sized portion of dinner (even after not eating for 24 hours) leaves me feeling uncomfortable and bloated.

does this sound like an eating disorder? Or am I just bad at eating? I probably sound disgusting but after not eating for about 24 hours, I can’t seem to stop myself at night. I feel so greedy and revolting. My family always tell me how thin I am but it’s not enough for me, I need to lose the weight I’ve got.

I’m tired of feeling so unhealthy all the time. I want to have energy and enjoy my life but I can’t seem to do it

Lizaje

Lizaje

Difficult to say. Maybe you're depressed. Maybe you should get help for that if you don't have it.

JessisMe

JessisMe

It sounds like an eating disorder to me.

L

Lori_2315

Difficult to say. Maybe you're depressed. Maybe you should get help for that if you don't have it.
Hi Lizaje, I’m definitely not depressed. I suffer from anxiety and ocd though. I’m getting help with it but I haven’t brought up the eating thing as I didn’t know whether it’s an ED or not. I might bring it up as I have an appointment on Monday.

B

blue spark

I’m not sure if I have an eating disorder. I’m not really sure what’s classed as one. I hate eating. Anytime I eat I feel disgusting and guilty. Today I had a can of coke after only drinking water for about 7 months and I feel like I’ve failed.

I feel ill and tried all the time, I’m extremely pale, have dark circles under my eyes and always feel shaky/dizzy.

I haven’t had a good relationship with food for about 2 years now. I usually go around 24 hours without eating and then I’ll sort of stuff my face with food (that’s a bit of an exaggeration). I’ll eat maybe some chocolate or something unhealthy, and then have dinner, then maybe something else after. I counted my calories for a few days but have now realised I was usually eating much less than the recommended amount. Recently I read the recommended amount is around 2000 for women which I have been way off.

I hate what I see in the mirror, I feel as though I’m fat but when I weigh myself I’m my usual weight (though I have lost a few stones in just under a year (about 8/9 months) by cutting down food) I don’t feel as though that’s a lot to lose by not eating, which is why I don’t really think I have an eating disorder. But I’m not really skinny, although I have noticed recently my hips stick out more than they did and I’ve been getting a bit worried about it.

I feel guilty even if I’ve gained a pound. But when I lose a pound I feel relieved. I can’t really eat a lot now. I read somewhere that not eating can cause your stomach to shrink (don’t know if it’s true or not) but I can’t seem to eat as much as I used to. Eating a full normal sized portion of dinner (even after not eating for 24 hours) leaves me feeling uncomfortable and bloated.

does this sound like an eating disorder? Or am I just bad at eating? I probably sound disgusting but after not eating for about 24 hours, I can’t seem to stop myself at night. I feel so greedy and revolting. My family always tell me how thin I am but it’s not enough for me, I need to lose the weight I’ve got.

I’m tired of feeling so unhealthy all the time. I want to have energy and enjoy my life but I can’t seem to do it
Your eating the wrong stuff at the wrong time,if your eating sugary things and not exeeding your calorie intake you won't put on waight but youll feel and look like shit.As for the recommended calorie intake for a woman,2000 is for an active woman.If your sedentry(INACTIVE)youe calorie intake should be around 1400 minus 10% if your over 60.Hope this helps.

Lizaje

Lizaje

Hi Lizaje, I’m definitely not depressed. I suffer from anxiety and ocd though. I’m getting help with it but I haven’t brought up the eating thing as I didn’t know whether it’s an ED or not. I might bring it up as I have an appointment on Monday.
Well that's weird. OK. You should bring up your problems with eating to your treatment team and then they will eventually decide what it's called.

Lizaje

Lizaje

Your eating the wrong stuff at the wrong time,if your eating sugary things and not exeeding your calorie intake you won't put on waight but youll feel and look like shit.As for the recommended calorie intake for a woman,2000 is for an active woman.If your sedentry(INACTIVE)youe calorie intake should be around 1400 minus 10% if your over 60.Hope this helps.
It depends on one's weight.

B

blue spark

It depends on one's weight.
Yes it does,you are right.The more over waight you are,the more calories you need to maintain that waight.800 Calories a day is what's called borderline starvation,absolutely not healthy no matter what type of food you eat.

L

Lori_2315

Yes it does,you are right.The more over waight you are,the more calories you need to maintain that waight.800 Calories a day is what's called borderline starvation,absolutely not healthy no matter what type of food you eat.
I’m not underweight though, I don’t see how I can have an eating disorder. I thought if I did I’d be starving myself completely. I thought people with eating disorders are really underweight. I have lost weight but surely if I have an ED I’d have lost a lot more than I have

B

blue spark

I’m not underweight though, I don’t see how I can have an eating disorder. I thought if I did I’d be starving myself completely. I thought people with eating disorders are really underweight. I have lost weight but surely if I have an ED I’d have lost a lot more than I have
People with an eating disorder are more inclined to be over waight not under waight,people with anorexia dont eat.I suppose that's an eating disorder as well,just as bad.

Lizaje

Lizaje

1. Talk to your doctor. It's not for you to self diagnose.
2. You don't need to be a certain weight to have an Ed.
3. Underweight people with eds usually started their Ed before they were underweight
4. Even anorexics never think they've lost enough weight. There are people out there who weigh 35kg and just want to get to 28kg before they deserve treatment. You don't need to be dying before you seek help. Also, there is a risk if you don't seek help that you do die.

L

Lori_2315

Is it possible for your stomach to shrink if you don’t eat much? Sorry if that sounds stupid, but today I ate a sandwich (a small one) and felt full and bloated after eating it. I thought it was strange, it’s as if I can’t eat a lot anymore.

L

Lori_2315

Is it possible for your stomach to shrink if you don’t eat much? Sorry if that sounds stupid, but today I ate a sandwich (a small one) and felt full and bloated after eating it. I thought it was strange, it’s as if I can’t eat a lot anymore.
Yeah never mind I just googled it and it’s a myth, feel a bit stupid now. But what would be the reason I feel really bloated and full after just eating a small amount?

Lizaje

Lizaje

That's normal.