• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Does this sound like a mixed state?

E

emmaleemochizuki

Spoke to my psychiatrist and he said he doesn't think I am just low but mixed.

I have been in a depressive episode and my energy levels was constantly at 0 for the past two months. I started on a depot last week. The last few days I still fee low, but my thoughts have been racing quite a lot, and I feel very agitated. I haven't been sleeping at all, and I feel like I am running a marathon in my head again and it's really uncomfortable, but I still feel really low.

It is so much harder like this than just depressed. at least then I am just all slow down, but this feels more unbearable.

anyone experienced a mixed state? is it similar to what I am feeling right now?

my mood is not up and down, it is like I'm feeling it together at the same time and I feel like I'm going mad.

T

tiltawhirl3

yes, yes, yes! Mixed episodes are utter hell! I tend towards them when I am not getting treated properly with my meds, ie my drs who are shit. Please be warned they can last for months and with the stress of it constantly building on itself, it can get worse. You can become psychotic which is very dangerous..you might accidentally harm yourself without really knowing what you are doing. I had a 2 week blackout! Woke on a ventilator which is also not uncommon. That was the first time and I had no idea what was going on and it went on for 6 months! I have had another one, less severe, for 4 months this year. I am going into another soon. My new dr appmt isn't soon enough. So, if your dr recognized this, what did he do to intervene and stop it?? That is what you must have. Badger the hell out of them if you have to! It IS unbearable! I am not wanting to scare you but I want you to know it is an emergency and easier to head off at the beginning rather than further along the road. And there is no reason to continue this most horrid suffering. it really is madness. please check back in so we know you are okay?

Wishbone

Wishbone

If you've just started on a new medication then I'd always look towards that. It could be that it is just a phase of internal adjustment to the depot, or it could be that you're going mixed, certainly some of the symptoms are there. What meds did you have and what are you/were you on before?

U

Underdog21

Spoke to my psychiatrist and he said he doesn't think I am just low but mixed.

I have been in a depressive episode and my energy levels was constantly at 0 for the past two months. I started on a depot last week. The last few days I still fee low, but my thoughts have been racing quite a lot, and I feel very agitated. I haven't been sleeping at all, and I feel like I am running a marathon in my head again and it's really uncomfortable, but I still feel really low.

It is so much harder like this than just depressed. at least then I am just all slow down, but this feels more unbearable.

anyone experienced a mixed state? is it similar to what I am feeling right now?

my mood is not up and down, it is like I'm feeling it together at the same time and I feel like I'm going mad.
Hi emmaleemochizuki,

I have a diagnosis of bipolar and in my letter addressed to the Gp its states that I suffer from depression with mixed states. My symptoms were extremely low mood and psychomotor agitation. I also suffered from racing thoughts and suicidal thoughts at the same time. Therefore I agree with your psychiatrist that you suffer from mixed states. They increased my antipsychotic to a high dose but the symptoms did not go away. As a result they added Lithium and after 5 months I see signs of improvement. Mixed states are horrible especially when you are low, agitated and suicidal. This is what I've had to endure for the past 7 months.

Wishbone

Wishbone

I just realised thanks to underdog that I completely misread that first line as the doc NOT thinking you were mixed, but only low. Doh!

E

emmaleemochizuki

Thank you guys. I am ok, I will checkin will my psychiatrist again on Friday if need be.