• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Does this mean hearing voices? I would just like clarification

T E_90

T E_90

Hi,
I'm new in this and I can't get my head around it.

More than once I've heard a voice in my head, but as I never had it before,
I don't know if this can be considered hearing voices or not, I'm ignorant on the subject and the psychiatrist himself
hasn't pronounced himself about it yet.

The first time was a calm voice, inside the head, like hearing my thought without being mine,
cause I wasn't controlling it (I don't know how to explain) I just answered to it.
In the meantime, knowing it was absurd, not real and that it came from my unconscious.
This lasted an hour, distracting me from conversations and from what I was doing.
I heard the same voice another time, while I was thinking about something that bothered me,
this voice answered making a joke about it, ridiculing what bothered me, which made me smile,
but realizing it was absurd and I must have looked like a total idiot.
But the feeling was still that it came from my head, without deciding anything.

Second time I was in bed and I started to hear this man yelling at me (just a scream of pure anger)
I didn't hear it on the outside, in the room, but inside my head. Constant and insistent, which lasted an entire minute,
(I had to listen podcasts to distract myself, given the feeling of guilt and discomfort it left me. It usually helps me to listen to TV broadcasts and documentaries, shows etc., I love it as much as music).
But nonetheless, it left me deep disdain and guilt, like I made a big mistake and deserved to be yelled at.
It's such a strange feeling, since I had already heard this scream of anger as a child only once, when I had a very high fever.
I don't want to tell the story of my life again, (just in case, it's in personality disorders section, as I didn't know where else to put it) on the other hand I don't know if in it could be a hint for something more serious regarding this. I'm not sure if I should worry about it.

The voices never came back, which make me think that maybe it was just stress related, but I don't know for sure.
But more than once at night I have heard like whispers in the room, and I felt observed, even knowing it wasn't real,
it disturbed me.

NWiddi

NWiddi

Forum Safety Team
When my voice first made its presence known to me it was in my ears like someone was in the room with me but it had the ability to switch to being in my mind, like a thought would be but completely uncontrollable like you described.

After starting meds my voice seems stuck in my mind now, it never shuts up so I haven't had room in my headspace to say anything myself so I haven't had a thought of my own in nearly five years.

T E_90

T E_90

When my voice first made its presence known to me it was in my ears like someone was in the room with me but it had the ability to switch to being in my mind, like a thought would be but completely uncontrollable like you described.

After starting meds my voice seems stuck in my mind now, it never shuts up so I haven't had room in my headspace to say anything myself so I haven't had a thought of my own in nearly five years.
Oooft .. man, sorry, it must be very distressing for you, at least I hope it's a positive voice!
I don't have it like that. But years ago, when I was taking ssri, I was convinced one night,
to have heard a woman screaming for help outside, so I opened the window to see what was going on, then I realized it was coming from inside the room. I also had other bad voices on other nights.
At the time I was convinced it was real, but it was one of the many side effects that the antidepressant caused me. That's why I can't take them anymore. They changed me and left me damaged.

I wish you to find a way to free yourself from this everlasting voice! maybe you could try asking your therapist about third generation anti psychotics.
I don't know much about it (maybe in your case isn't right and I may be suggesting nonsense), but I know are better than the others as more powerful with less side effects.

Thank you for your help and to have shared your experience 👋

Lone_wanderer

Lone_wanderer

For years before I showed any other symptoms I experienced someone whistling a three note tune outside my window in multiple places I lived.

T E_90

T E_90

For years before I showed any other symptoms I experienced someone whistling a three note tune outside my window in multiple places I lived.
God, that's pretty creepy,.. I hope where you live now you are fine and that you found a way to solve also the other symptoms, must have been hard having that.
In my case these voices where different, just inside my head.
Thank you for sharing

Lone_wanderer

Lone_wanderer

God, that's pretty creepy,.. I hope where you live now you are fine and that you found a way to solve also the other symptoms, must have been hard having that.
In my case these voices where different, just inside my head.
Thank you for sharing
Thank you for your kind wishes, luckily these days my symptoms are mostly under control with anti-psychotics.