• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Does this make sense?

Freezingmoon

Freezingmoon

I just got out of a long stay in a psych hospital a week ago. I have psychotic depression and attempted suicide fully intending to die, but changed my mind and told someone, hence the hospital stay.
Tonight I was upset and a family member tried to comfort me and said "I understand that your suicide attempt was a cry for help".
On one hand it's good that they think this as I think it would hurt them to know that I truly intended to die, and don't consider it a cry for help.
On the other hand I felt kind of dismissed, like I wasn't taken seriously by them, and that they just don't get it!
Cue feeling guilty and as if I'm a really evil person for attempting. I don't think other people who attempt suicide are evil though.
Just want to know if my thinking makes sense to anyone/can you relate?

F

fidget

Former member
it is painful being misunderstood like that, I can completely relate to where you're coming from. I think you're right, it's better that they see it that way but of course that is also going to make you feel isolated and alone with your experience xx

Amanda84

Amanda84

I think it is a common belief that it is a cry for help. Most people can simply not understand how someone would decide that this life, in this world, is just not worth all the pain that it brings. Thats why these internet forums are so great :)
Nevertheless, for some people it is a cry for help, and those people feel bad too. In his/her own way, this family member seems to understand that you are in pain.
I am guessing that you feel very alone. I hope you can find comfort with someone.