• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Does spiritually work for you

wollie

wollie

Im a christian and I regualy go to church, my problem is hearing voices, I have had this for 12 years now so I am looking for other avenues to help cure them, I have been on all sorts of antiphycotics but they just do not work, my last hope is spirituality, what do I have to do apart from my regular chuch visits.

LORD BURT

LORD BURT

Interview with a schizophrenic - Apple/ Spotify
To me, going to Church is part of practising a religion. There is nothing wrong with that, it can bring you comfort and peace.

Spirituality is about searching the truth without religious dogma.

I can recommend some books if you like.

NWiddi

NWiddi

Forum Safety Team
I believe anti-psychotics do more than most people realise, things could be much worse without them.

I tried spirituality or at least a version of it that was like a hybrid of Christianity and Buddhism, they said my voice was either my Higher Self, a Spirit Guide or a Negative Entity speaking to me via my Crown Chakra, with the guidance of YouTube videos I went through the process of opening and closing my Crown Chakra and asking this entity to "leave me in love and light" just like the video said but nothing happened, the voice remained and I couldn't swap it like a Pokémon card for a better entity. After around half a dozen attempts I gave up on this spirituality lark and found my own answers instead.

I

indigo6

Spirituality is a broad word Wollie. Which one do you want to try?
Theres the woo woo stuff, and then the stuff NWiddi mentions and then theres just everyday stuff. Like noticing the sky but also feeling it. Im the latter.
If you are already Christian can you be another religion? I know of a few people that are Christian but also go to spiritualist church.

toutatis

toutatis

Im a christian and I regualy go to church, my problem is hearing voices, I have had this for 12 years now so I am looking for other avenues to help cure them, I have been on all sorts of antiphycotics but they just do not work, my last hope is spirituality, what do I have to do apart from my regular chuch visits.
Perhaps praying or meditating, visiting holy sites and contemplating spiritual matters, reading literature on Christianity? Or maybe even having religious/spiritual discussions about practice and God? Angels and divinities?

I'm more of a Buddhist, I guess you could say, so, yes, I'm interested in spiritual matters. I have found spirituality does give me meaning to an otherwise difficult life. A life not easy to understand sometimes. I guess it gives me a 'path'. So, in that way, yes, it does work for me. Doesn't necessarily make life much easier, though.

Lone_wanderer

Lone_wanderer

@toutatis, I've been practicing Buddhist meditation for the best part of 10 years and it's not really about having an experience that will solve all your problems but more about cultivating the inherent peace your mind has had from the beginning that's hidden from us by layers of Karmic conditioning.

toutatis

toutatis

@toutatis, I've been practicing Buddhist meditation for the best part of 10 years and it's not really about having an experience that will solve all your problems but more about cultivating the inherent peace your mind has had from the beginning that's hidden from us by layers of Karmic conditioning.
Absolutely, yes, I love what you said.

Mindfulness, which I discovered through Buddhism 20 years ago, before I found the mental health field recommend it, has really helped me get through the worst chapters of my life over the years in the way you described.

And Zen Buddhism? Reading books about that 20 years ago, really instilled a 'faith' in me.

Great stuff isn't it, Lone_wanderer?

toutatis

toutatis

@Lone_wanderer:

What you said also reminds me of the old Zen saying:

"Before enlightenment, chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment, chop wood, carry water."

Lone_wanderer

Lone_wanderer

@toutatis, one Zen saying I've become very aware of lately is "When the student is ready, the teacher will appear in whatever form is necessary." It's becoming more obvious to me these days what the teacher is and what it's teaching these days.

While my own practice is my own particular fusion of Thai Forest Tradition, Soto Zen and Tibetan Lam Rim, Zen often perfectly and simply expresses the non-dualistic nature of reality and the true mind. Shunryu Suzuki's Zen Mind, Beginners Mind is one of the most profound books I have ever read.

floater

floater

Religion, can take or leave it. If God commanded me through signs and wonders to kill them all, I'd reality test the notion first. But religion is a historic powerful motivator for human actions both good and bad. Difficult to derail the crusaders sword when it is in hand. Religious mania is easy triggered less easy to predict where it'll go, both in crowds and individuals.

floater

floater

Religions are like pet dogs. People have their favoured sorts. Some will be popular and some less so but like a pet dog people are loyal to their breed of faith. And they all claim their religion is the best, it'd never bite etc...which is a lie, cos we know they all bite, there's always a bad side in the history books, always.

Linda1989

Linda1989

DONT GIVE UP ON JESUS, you have to repent turn from your ways and follow jesus and go to church because faith comes by hearing the word of god. You can also look at sermons online and chat with other christians live. No one is innocent we all have sinned. I use to think i was a good person than I realize i wasnt because i was having evil thoughts i was fooling myself because people where doing me wrong

pepecat

pepecat

You can't proselytise / preach on here, sorry. It's ok to say what YOU believe or find helpful, but you can't tell other people what they 'should' do (eg repenting).

Y

Yoshi 663682

I'm Christian too my voices are faint but unrelenting in talking negative they came after I cursed at demons for giving ocd intrusive thoughts and making people read my mind when did they come was it when you first became a Christian or after trying a drug or some spiritual experience

Linda1989

Linda1989

I believe anti-psychotics do more than most people realise, things could be much worse without them.

I tried spirituality or at least a version of it that was like a hybrid of Christianity and Buddhism, they said my voice was either my Higher Self, a Spirit Guide or a Negative Entity speaking to me via my Crown Chakra, with the guidance of YouTube videos I went through the process of opening and closing my Crown Chakra and asking this entity to "leave me in love and light" just like the video said but nothing happened, the voice remained and I couldn't swap it like a Pokémon card for a better entity. After around half a dozen attempts I gave up on this spirituality lark and found my own answers instead.
Agree with you, antipsychotic are the reason why im stable religion just made it worse.