• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Does schizophrenia cause violence

Riah3

Riah3

Hey everyone, I have bpd and anxiety and my dad has schizophrenia. My dad started showing symptoms in his late twenty’s and my mom left she couldn’t handle it. I grew up the rest of my life really confused about everything.

I’m now an adult and I want to get the relationship with my dad that I always longed for.

I go to see him every now and then and he talks with me on the phone sometimes. I never feel uncomfortable or anxious or unsafe.

I’m the only one in my family that doesn’t judge him for it no one wants to be around him they only see the illness.

My mom is extremely anxious when I go over there and doesn’t like it she tells me things like “you need to be careful at any moment he could snap because the voices told him to hurt you.” To me this sounds insane and it’s getting tiring she keeps thinking that he could kill us and has brought this up during the rest of my childhood growing up without him so my siblings are in great fear of him.

My dad has never been violent and since I started seeing him once I turned 18 he hasn’t shown violence or anything.

There are times where he drifts off and I can see something got his attention but he never makes it apparent to me. Anyways does having schizophrenia mean that you’re more likely to commit violent acts than others?

Murasakibee

Murasakibee

Hey everyone, I have bpd and anxiety and my dad has schizophrenia. My dad started showing symptoms in his late twenty’s and my mom left she couldn’t handle it. I grew up the rest of my life really confused about everything.

I’m now an adult and I want to get the relationship with my dad that I always longed for.

I go to see him every now and then and he talks with me on the phone sometimes. I never feel uncomfortable or anxious or unsafe.

I’m the only one in my family that doesn’t judge him for it no one wants to be around him they only see the illness.

My mom is extremely anxious when I go over there and doesn’t like it she tells me things like “you need to be careful at any moment he could snap because the voices told him to hurt you.” To me this sounds insane and it’s getting tiring she keeps thinking that he could kill us and has brought this up during the rest of my childhood growing up without him so my siblings are in great fear of him.

My dad has never been violent and since I started seeing him once I turned 18 he hasn’t shown violence or anything.

There are times where he drifts off and I can see something got his attention but he never makes it apparent to me. Anyways does having schizophrenia mean that you’re more likely to commit violent acts than others?
It can mean they are more violent but it's also a stigma about it. People hear someone is schizophrenic and just assume they are violent but that doesn't mean they or, even the ones with violent tendencies aren't always violent.
Usually they only get violent if they get scared, and it can be hard to reason with a mentally ill person.
So, I think you are right. I don't think you have any thing to worry about and I'm sure he's happy to see you.
I understand your frustration. I think your mom is just misguided by stigma and maybe there was some history of violence when he was younger and in less control? Still I hope she can become more open minded

D

Deleted member 92692

It can mean they are more violent but it's also a stigma about it. People hear someone is schizophrenic and just assume they are violent but that doesn't mean they or, even the ones with violent tendencies aren't always violent.
Usually they only get violent if they get scared, and it can be hard to reason with a mentally ill person.
So, I think you are right. I don't think you have any thing to worry about and I'm sure he's happy to see you.
I understand your frustration. I think your mom is just misguided by stigma and maybe there was some history of violence when he was younger and in less control? Still I hope she can become more open minded
Nope. Ive only ever been violent when i chose to be. My ilness never made me be violent

D

Deleted member 92692

Nope. Ive only ever been violent when i chose to be. My ilness never made me be violent
Im getting fed up if the idea that we are all mad axe murdering serial killers. Schizophrenia does not make you violent. Wish society would catch up

D

Deleted member 92692

We are no more inclined to violence than you are. How about you learn somthing. Like violence is more prevalent in the lower strata of society

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 92692

You are talkin a load off bullshit. We are no more inclined to violence than you are. How about you learn somthing. Like violence is more prevalent in the lower strata of society
Violence is linked to a stratofied society not schizophrenic people.

Riah3

Riah3

It’s so sad that for the rest of our childhood we were taught to fear him for no reason. I plan on
yes stigma that’s it! Wow that’s very sad I wish there weren’t any stigmas. My dad had to miss out on a big part of us growing up. It wasn’t until I got older that I started to question things. And yes he was very happy to see me so I think it’s good for both of us that we start a relationship. I just wanted to see if this was true at all I honestly don’t know anyone with schizophrenia besides my dad and we don’t talk about it. I just liek to be there for him to show him that he is loved.

AnnN

AnnN

I never will have children. Its nightmare. It's disaster. I become violent from this illness. Yes I think is not good to have kids with these circumstances.

Riah3

Riah3

It’s so crazy to finally get some insight on this and see it’s the opposite of what I was led to beleive. Growing up as a kid the things my mom would tell me would really scare someone. It wasn’t until I became an adult that I started to question things. I’m glad I did bc I feel great about the relationship we’re building it’s really important that my dad knows he’s not alone bc he only has me I feel like. No one even cares to be around him bc they think he’s crazy. I feel so bad for him I wish there weren’t any stigmas it’s so hurtful to him he deserves to have people love him but everyone is too scared to. I’m going to continue to see him and can now confidently defend that he isn’t violent bc that’s always the argument and i hate it bc he really isn’t a violent guy.

Riah3

Riah3

Im getting fed up if the idea that we are all mad axe murdering serial killers. Schizophrenia does not make you violent. Wish society would catch up
I wish they could catch up too. I went my whole life just listening to my mom and not seeing my dad until it really got to me. Once I became an adult I started making efforts to build a relationship and nothing bad has ever happened during our interactions but my mom is always on edge each time I go and can never let it go. I can let her know now that that is just completely not true.

Murasakibee

Murasakibee

You are talkin a load off bullshit. We are no more inclined to violence than you are. How about you learn somthing. Like violence is more prevalent in the lower strata of society
I never meant to upset anyone, I was saying I thought the mom was afraid because of stigma.
Most s
It’s so sad that for the rest of our childhood we were taught to fear him for no reason. I plan on

yes stigma that’s it! Wow that’s very sad I wish there weren’t any stigmas. My dad had to miss out on a big part of us growing up. It wasn’t until I got older that I started to question things. And yes he was very happy to see me so I think it’s good for both of us that we start a relationship. I just wanted to see if this was true at all I honestly don’t know anyone with schizophrenia besides my dad and we don’t talk about it. I just liek to be there for him to show him that he is loved.
Yeah I think your mom is filled with stigma, regardless if it was a past experience or because of media or whatnot it's wrong and I really hope she educates herself because there are so many good people who happen to have schizophrenia including your dad :).

I'm sorry, I never meant to offend anyone. The fact is the vast majority of people with schizophrenia are not violent and haven't had more violent tendencies than others, in fact in the past before mental illness was understood I think there were other disorders that got linked together with schizophrenia.
My grandmother was diagnosed with schizophrenia, although this was back when mental health was poorly understood so she could have been manic with psychosis instead, considering other people in my family have been diagnosed with that instead. One day she harmed my father when he was a little kid during one of what he called "her paranoid episodes" and so he was always afraid of her and had a lot of stigma about the disorder, he was deathly afraid of developing it.
Now most people with bipolar with psychosis are not violent either, not anymore violent than anyone else.
I knew this guy who did really have schizophrenia who stood outside the Kroger by my house all day long and he was really nice, he gave me these really pretty boots but my family told me to stay away from him because he was schizophrenic. That really upset me because he was really nice but I was only 14 at the time. That's stigma, and what my father had was stigma too.

Now with that said, SOME people with schizophrenia and other disorders do tend to be more violent, but it's important to remember that it isn't their fault either because paranoia can invade the mind and break their perception on reality, so it's not really "violence" in my opinion but self defense. Its important to acknowledge that it has happened with people though so those who have been "violent" in the past don't feel like they are bad. Because they aren't, they are just as capable of being a good person.
There isn't a right way to be mentally ill, every person is different so every mental illness experience is different as well.

A single experience can create toxic stigma. I have seen people in my family judge others for their mental illness but I have seen people judge my family for the being mentally ill as well.
People have to educate themselves to understand and if they don't educate themselves thats on them, the world will stay ignorant if people choose to stay blind.

Riah3

Riah3

I never meant to upset anyone, I was saying I thought the mom was afraid because of stigma.
Most s

Yeah I think your mom is filled with stigma, regardless if it was a past experience or because of media or whatnot it's wrong and I really hope she educates herself because there are so many good people who happen to have schizophrenia including your dad :).

I'm sorry, I never meant to offend anyone. The fact is the vast majority of people with schizophrenia are not violent and haven't had more violent tendencies than others, in fact in the past before mental illness was understood I think there were other disorders that got linked together with schizophrenia.
My grandmother was diagnosed with schizophrenia, although this was back when mental health was poorly understood so she could have been manic with psychosis instead, considering other people in my family have been diagnosed with that instead. One day she harmed my father when he was a little kid during one of what he called "her paranoid episodes" and so he was always afraid of her and had a lot of stigma about the disorder, he was deathly afraid of developing it.
Now most people with bipolar with psychosis are not violent either, not anymore violent than anyone else.
I knew this guy who did really have schizophrenia who stood outside the Kroger by my house all day long and he was really nice, he gave me these really pretty boots but my family told me to stay away from him because he was schizophrenic. That really upset me because he was really nice but I was only 14 at the time. That's stigma, and what my father had was stigma too.

Now with that said, SOME people with schizophrenia and other disorders do tend to be more violent, but it's important to remember that it isn't their fault either because paranoia can invade the mind and break their perception on reality, so it's not really "violence" in my opinion but self defense. Its important to acknowledge that it has happened with people though so those who have been "violent" in the past don't feel like they are bad. Because they aren't, they are just as capable of being a good person.
There isn't a right way to be mentally ill, every person is different so every mental illness experience is different as well.

A single experience can create toxic stigma. I have seen people in my family judge others for their mental illness but I have seen people judge my family for the being mentally ill as well.
People have to educate themselves to understand and if they don't educate themselves thats on them, the world will stay ignorant if people choose to stay blind.
Yeah my mom does have a stigma about it now that I understand that more. And it’s sad because we were just kids and believed her. I don’t now but my siblings still don’t. I try to talk to them about how I feel about it but they don’t listen.

D

Deleted member 93850

Its life that makes you violent. He lived the typical life prior to hitting his late 20s. He lost who he once was, his wife, and his family is unsupportive and judgmental.

N

natalie

I have a mild case of szchiophrenia. I basically, just feel paranoia, and also have the problem of intrusive reactions, and a separate identity of heard voices. Never, have i not been o fdangerous nor of the criminal sort.

Should it so happen, I am a positive character. I go out to volunteer, when can, and I do my workouts to my fitness dvds, I'm about tow orkout in half an hour, and I'll listen to music and knit.

Oh yes, i am on medication, to be under control from the mild forms of szchophrenia. The one factor i can never adhere to, is being so to speak labelledl, with mental health or classed as szchiophrenia I happen to be a very well mental health character and very much what's more positive.

Murasakibee

Murasakibee

Yeah my mom does have a stigma about it now that I understand that more. And it’s sad because we were just kids and believed her. I don’t now but my siblings still don’t. I try to talk to them about how I feel about it but they don’t listen.
Well I really wish your siblings open their hearts so they can get to have a positive relationship with your father and they can have a heart for others who have schizophrenia as well.