• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Does OCD push you to develop phobias?

T

Tom2020

I have developed a severe phobia of bugs.

I check the bed every night to make sure there are no bugs on my bed. I check in the living room and anywhere I am going to sit or relax. My mind sometimes plays tricks on me and I feel bugs walking on me, but it just strings from the sheets. I can not sleep anymore. Help. I know I have OCD and was just wondering if it is connected or is entirely different. I was not always like this. As a kid, I would bring home bugs from the park and keep them as pets (ants). Now, at 28, I have developed a phobia. Thank you for answering.

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
I don't know if there is a link, but is OCD an extreme anxiety? and phobias too are extreme anxiety, so i would think it is possible.

L

LokiPokey75

I have developed a severe phobia of bugs.

I check the bed every night to make sure there are no bugs on my bed. I check in the living room and anywhere I am going to sit or relax. My mind sometimes plays tricks on me and I feel bugs walking on me, but it just strings from the sheets. I can not sleep anymore. Help. I know I have OCD and was just wondering if it is connected or is entirely different. I was not always like this. As a kid, I would bring home bugs from the park and keep them as pets (ants). Now, at 28, I have developed a phobia. Thank you for answering.
Hey Tom2020!

That's an interesting question. I would have thought they're related in some way.

So I looked it up and apparently people with phobias only experience the fear when the source is near them. It's not a persistent fear that occurs even in the source's absence. Do you experience fear only when bugs are close to you? That would be considered a phobia. If you're always worrying about bugs regardless if they're around, that's OCD. Make sense?

Sounds like you are experiencing OCD still about the bugs. You dream about them crawling on you even when there's not a bug in sight. That must be scary!

Fear is like a bug itself. It likes to torment you, sometimes it can even sting or bite, but it's really just a pest. Once you learn how to accept its presence, you're simultaneously learning how to swat it way. That's the power of embracing your fears -- you get rid of them only when you allow them to be.

I hope this helps! Good luck with your OCD, Tom2020. Don't let it bug you too much! ☺

W

Weeping_Willow

I almost feel that my OCD of contamination is more like a phobia and sometimes the fear of contamination from a particular person can occur. It can also be a type of person, sadly unkempt people but also people with developmental disabilities and I say sadly because I do have compassion. Once it was my grandad and once my Aunt who I loved dearly.
Generally my OCD is more about contamination of bodily fluids from people I don't know, often from objects that I don't know who touched or if anyone, including myself have been out and brought contamination in. So I think phobias could develop from OCD fears.
The reason I classify mine as more a phobia in nature is I don't think anything bad will happen from contamination. But the nature of it and my reaction to it is all OCD.