• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Does my sister have bipolar?

H

Herbro

My sister has been diagnosed with bipolar with psychosis.. it went from deep depression with psychosis. In 10 years, she's had 4 relapses, she's 35.. Here is what I can see , what do you all think
  • Sometimes not realistic about life or situation, example: talks to a guy a couple of times, thinks she's going to marry him. Generally the guy does not feel the same within a few conversations
  • Spend hours and hours in the bathroom when she relapses
  • Hums to her self
  • Moves her lips as if she might be talking to her self or her thoughts
  • Gets hyper or very active for short bursts of time
  • Listens to music all day, same song or songs over and over and over and over and over. Sometimes watches the same movie over and over and over again
  • Does not say a word, sometimes does not speak for a week, has no social interaction
  • I can ask her how she is doing, she responds with thank you or some random responses
  • She colors, or sits outside
My sister takes Wellbutrin and something else. She takes her medication, but for some reason relapses. She's not harmful, or abusive, she listens most of the time if we suggest anything.

When she is okay, she's able to work, more talkative, and slightly more social.

I need help. Any suggestions or ideas or anything will be helpful. Growing up, she had some friends, she struggled in school, but also crushed school. She seemed okay..always kind of in space, but okay. Our mother passed away on our 20s.. She was fine for a year and then had a breakdown. Since then it's been 10 years of ups and downs.. We are in Canada. The health care system is bull, I don't care it's free.

The other thing about my sister, when she falls apart, she does not realize it. She does not know she's going from "normal" to not normal..

T

Trekster33

Bipolar 1 is where patient's loose touch with reality when they are unwell.

But saying that there are many signs of autism there. Does she take things literally? Does she have ways of doing things that have to be done in that way? Does she panic when things change suddenly and unexpectedly?

Autismcanada is a charity that could help you further although none of us on here (or they can diagnose).

H

Herbro

Sometimes she takes things literally. I haven't really seen her panic. I'm not looking for a diagnosis, but kind of confirmation the psychiatrist is on the right track. They spend 30-40 mins every 3 months with her.. I'll look into autism Canada

M

markprosso538

not really sure from what you wrote I suppose it's possible. They (drs) usually have to look at a history also for relationships etc.. Sometimes people who are manic will do unpredictable and impulsive things on a whim. To people on the outside may think they're on drugs and would call it reckless.

P

Prycejosh1987

I need help. Any suggestions or ideas or anything will be helpful. Growing up, she had some friends, she struggled in school, but also crushed school. She seemed okay..always kind of in space, but okay. Our mother passed away on our 20s.. She was fine for a year and then had a breakdown. Since then it's been 10 years of ups and downs.. We are in Canada. The health care system is bull, I don't care it's free.

The other thing about my sister, when she falls apart, she does not realize it. She does not know she's going from "normal" to not normal..
It sounds like she might need to work on letting go of the harmful past. Memories may be affecting her. Its good health care is free, she just needs to find the right help.

H

Herbro

Free health care doesn't mean anything at all. The psychiatrist is slammed. He meets with her for 30-45 mins every 3 months. When she relapses, we have to wait to see him because he is booked solid and "everyone is an emergency".

We have tried getting second opinions, but the wait for another psychiatrist is way too long.