Does my daughter have an eating disorder?

L

Leeannec91

My daughter is 12 and iv only recently seen how skinny she has got in the past year. She always wears baggy clothes so when she put a dress on for a family occassion a few days ago and my heart sank. The dress was hanging on her. She is eating small amounts but these r not regular and is living/binging on crisps. She has developed a bad attitude towards mealtimes and it's as if my meals have poison in them. Every meal is an argument. She often skips meals says she isn't hungry or she has already eaten. She has opened up to me this morning saying she wants to lose weight because she is fat even tho she is very skinny. She is exercising also. And this morning asked me for a book to write down what she's eating. Anyone out there who can help? I was with the doctor yday and he asked me to try and get her to come see him. I'm soo scared for her :-(

Last edited by a moderator:
BlueGlass

BlueGlass

ACCOUNT CLOSED
i would try and get her to the GP asap. Usually children's eating disorder clinics are good.
it is a good sign that she is talking to you about it.

L

Leeannec91

I'm going to take her on Monday morning to see the doctor. I have suggested counselling and she hasn't completely dismissed it she just said well all I'm trying to do is lose a bit of weight and get a flat tummy. Iv give her the usual advice about eating healthy foods and her reply was "u can't make me eat something I don't like". It's the fact that she's done research on what to do and knows what her goal weight that she wants to be that's frightening me.

calypso

calypso

Admin
I think what you have described is as full a list of ED problems as I have ever seen on here. It is Very worrying and I am so pleaased that she will consider the idea of help. This needs addressing quite quickly. If they can reach her before her thought patterns get used to this way of being, she can make a full recovery. But do ensure that if they get her better, they don't just then leave her to it. They must do follow up for months to come too. Don't be afraid to make a nuisance of yourself. Sometimes we have to stamp our feet to get help.

Is she depressed at all? Sometimes bullying at school can trigger this. As you know, something that wouldn't worry an adult can really play on a child's mind and make them feel terrible about themselves.

Be prepared that you might have to talk to therapists/psychs/CPNs too, so they can get a full picture of home life. Sometimes the parent needs to look at things too. I am not saying you are at fault at all, its just they do look at everything which may have triggered this. When my daughter needed help for other reasons, I was asked to attend a lot of sessions too, which I didn't mind, I mean I just wanted her better. if that did mean they wanted me to look at anything I was doing which might add to her problems, I was only too glad to do it. But I emphasize, I am not saying that is the case at all with you.

Keep us posted and all my warmest thoughts are with you.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
L Eating Disorders Forum 3
L Eating Disorders Forum 3