• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Does my boyfriend have schizophrenia?

H

hollie192

Hi,

I am worried my boyfriend has schizophrenia.

For 2 weeks now he has slowly been getting worse. It started with him not sleeping and he had a labouring job for 2 weeks (he only managed to go for 3 days, saying to me he couldn't work for the guy). He then became quite clingy with me saying he loves me constantly. Then the next day, he woke up the opposite. It was like someone had took my boyfriend, replacing him with someone else. He couldn't look at me, let alone talk to me.

He is constantly hot and sweaty. Has told me he can hear things (saying he can hear a radio and heard me crying while i wasn't there). He kept asking me if i knew about this disaster (thinking there has been a natural disaster)

He basically lived with me but this week he has chosen to stay at his dads, saying he needs to go and tell his dad he loves him all the time and he is so so distant with me. It has made me think he doesn't want to be with me anymore. (before this we were so so happy so i am confused) I ask him questions which he just cant answer! He just says he doesn't know.

He has also said he wants to kill himself a few times.
Yesterday he started laughing….at everything and constantly. Also making very weird faces.

I have gone home for christmas today, I told him i'd miss him and he said nothing.
I booked him a Dr appointment on monday, he went but clearly didn't tell the doctor about an mental issue as he came back and he told me they'd just taken his blood pressure etc and told him to stop his inhaler.
He believes he is normal when i ask him.

I don't know what to do.
Does this sound like schizophrenia?
Thanks

calypso

calypso

Admin
No-one can diagnose on here I'm afraid, but we can give support. I think it could be an idea to try to get him to see a professional, via the GP. Don't worry about him not reacting to you emotionally when you said you were going home, if it is schizophrenia there is something called "flattened affect" which means emotional responses can be limited.

The reason we can't diagnose is that we aren't professionals and also we only have what you are telling us and not the whole picture. There are all kinds of reasons for a person having MH problems. He doesn't take drugs does he? He could be hearing voices, from what you say, and that can lead to people trying to explain that to themselves with a set of beliefs that aren't other people's reality.

The thing that worries me most is the fact he is saying he wants to kill himself. Christmas can be a very stressful time for people. Can you persuade him to see a doc? It would help if it was possible, for you to go with him and put down what you have seen. But if not, keep talking to him and keep him going through the holidays.

BillFish

BillFish

Hi,

For 2 weeks now he has slowly been getting worse. It started with him not sleeping and he had a labouring job for 2 weeks (he only managed to go for 3 days, saying to me he couldn't work for the guy). He then became quite clingy with me saying he loves me constantly. Then the next day, he woke up the opposite. It was like someone had took my boyfriend, replacing him with someone else. He couldn't look at me, let alone talk to me.

He is constantly hot and sweaty. Has told me he can hear things (saying he can hear a radio and heard me crying while i wasn't there). He kept asking me if i knew about this disaster (thinking there has been a natural disaster)

He basically lived with me but this week he has chosen to stay at his dads, saying he needs to go and tell his dad he loves him all the time and he is so so distant with me. It has made me think he doesn't want to be with me anymore. (before this we were so so happy so i am confused) I ask him questions which he just cant answer! He just says he doesn't know.

He has also said he wants to kill himself a few times.
Yesterday he started laughing….at everything and constantly. Also making very weird faces.

I have gone home for christmas today, I told him i'd miss him and he said nothing.
I booked him a Dr appointment on monday, he went but clearly didn't tell the doctor about an mental issue as he came back and he told me they'd just taken his blood pressure etc and told him to stop his inhaler.
He believes he is normal when i ask him.

I don't know what to do.
Thanks
The problem is that as an adult nobody can force him to inform the GP, or ask for treatment or help, until he does something drastic that gets services/police attention. Have you thought about discussing how he is with his parents? Or are you socially isolated from them?

H

hollie192

I'm just so upset, it's making me ill. I have suggested to him if he is the same after christmas and new year that we both go to the doctors together. His dad has bipolar so i wasn't sure if he has that but then i don't think you can hear things if you have bipolar?

He has smoked a lot of weed in the past but gave up a year ago, however recently was smoking a small amount each night.

I already booked him an appointment with a doctor and he didn't mention his mental health problems. I don't think he will see a doctor until at least after new year now. He has had his phone off for 5 hours now (which is unusual for him) I really don't know what to do. I keep messaging his friends and i feel if i message them again they will think I am the crazy one.

H

hollie192

I have only met his mum once but his friend suggested i message her about it? His dad however is not helpful. He has bipolar and smokes weed constantly, he even said to my boyfriend 'Don't worry i'm mental too'. He doesn't seem to worry about him too much.

F

flatz

Hi,

For 2 weeks now he has slowly been getting worse. It started with him not sleeping and he had a labouring job for 2 weeks

Thanks

For a schizophrenia diagnoses the symptoms have to be present for a minimum of 6 months.

Schizophrenia

L

LillyBird

Hi Hollie, I wouldn't want to offer anything which you might take as a "diagnosis" (I am in no way qualified), but your post looks like something I could have written myself.

My partner (very recently ex-partner, though his choice, not mine) suffers from psychosis (including dellusions, paranoias, hallucinations), and was recently sectioned due to his increasingly erratic beliefs and behaviours (which were becoming dangerous to himself).

His overtly psychotic symptoms (beliefs that simply cannot be true, such as that people are controlling him with psychic "energy"), are very easy to describe, and identify as symptoms of a mental illness (if you're " lucky" enough that he admits them to you: he often hasn't been open with friends, family, and medics), but they seem to go hand in hand with other more sublet symptoms that you have described:

Sudden changes in how he relates to me (he loves me loads.... oh no, he "NEVER" loved me! Proposing, taking it back, saying he's sorry and loves/trusts me more than anyone. Moving out... Coming back. (At the time he tends to give bizarre reasons for his negative reactions to me, but as he improves, he often changes the reasons to ones which SOUND more rational, but still don't really fit with his previous attitude to me.). Weird (but sometimes subtle) changes in face expressions, posture, and body language. Won't make eye contact during "episodes". Me getting distinct impression that he has become " someone else" (usually before before the delusions come out), but my inability to explain to others what exactly about him is so "off".

I've had great difficultly getting people to take these side-symptoms seriously, as (dellusional statements aside) they could all just be evidence of a bad relationship... But they only happen before/during/after the symptoms people DO take seriously.

I have no idea if your bf is also psychotic (the things he is doing could have a totally different cause), but I would urge you to take your instict that something is wrong seriously. You know him well, and are probably best placed to raise an early alarm.

How you get him to open up to a medic and get the most appropriate help, however, I'm not really sure.

Good luck.

calypso

calypso

Admin
People who smoke the weed around these days can become psychotic on it. Its skunk I think, and 10 times stronger than the stuff around when I was a kid. The mental hospitals are straining from dealing with these problems.

You can't diagnose yourself, so yes a professional is best, but I do hear you when you say he is reluctant to go. You can hear voices with bipolar, in fact its quite common. I would suggest you don't try to diagnose and just get help for him and don't forget yourself! You need support too. Its very easy to get wrapped up in helping the person you love and forget your own needs. My husband was alcoholic, so I understand this.

He might need to detox, and only a GP can refer him to anything like that - if there is anything in your area.

K

kdsweet

Hi, My son has many of the same symptoms. Nov 2013 we had him committed to mental health facility as he threatened me. Immediately I started researching and found hypothyroidism can mimic schizophrenia and should be ruled out before diagnosing with schizophrenia. I asked within 3 weeks of his admittance if they had checked his thyroid. I was told they certainly had...fast forward 7 mos later and suddenly they are giving him a thyroid med (levothyroxine) before discharge, after they diagnosed schizophrenia. After discharge he stopped all meds except levothyroxine for thyroid, was doing better and more himself, then he stopped levothyroxine months ago. 3 weeks ago, his symptoms have returned...talking to someone not there with no sound, laughing with no sound at nothing, spending lots of time sleeping, eating, taking showers, etc. Started making him take levothyroxine again to determine once and for all if this is a thyroid problem. Your description of your boyfriend struck me with the similarities, especially when you said sweaty all the time...look into him having his thyroid checked. Don't let doc just look at blood tests! Make doc look at research! Best of luck to you and your boyfriend. I know it would be easy to dump him now and walk away...I implore you to try to help him get real help any way you can. It may be the harder trail, but he is probably scared and incapable of helping himself...my best to you! K

Purple Chaos

Purple Chaos

Hi and welcome to the forum kdsweet.

It's incredible really. There have been a couple different posts in the past week or so citing physical conditions causing psychotic type symptoms. I don't understand why more of these tests aren't being carried out before a label and psychotropic drugs are dished out.

I hope you are well

It's good to hear that the thyroxine works for your son

K

kdsweet

Sadly, I think it is more about the $ than the patient anymore. They were paid big bucks for my son's 7 mo stay and during that time they had him labeled schizophrenic, disabled, helped him file for and receive disability, and set him up upon discharge at a group home that wanted to take 70% of his disability check. They even tried to tell him he couldn't get his prescriptions at rite-aid, that he had to use another pharmacist they wanted him to use. All of it felt like a fraud. We brought him back home and I knew eventually his symptoms would return and we would finally be able to determine the thyroid presentation as being the root cause of his mental state. Already seeing a more positive turnaround since making him start the thyroid med after Christmas. Don't want him on schizo drugs anyway as the studies show they don't help in long run. It is already easier helping him the second time around as I'm not freaking out anymore...have a better understanding. K

A

AwareOfAWar

For a schizophrenia diagnoses the symptoms have to be present for a minimum of 6 months.

Schizophrenia

That may be true in some places, but I live in Washington state, and just one freak accident where I got into a car accident (due to a demon getting into me while at the wheel on Halloween making me swerve and hit another car head on) that demon had been harassing me for a couple days making me stay awake but it was the first time I had ever experienced anything like that. It was the first time I had ever had any type of schizophrenic symptoms but it got me put in jail for 30 days with a schizophrenic label over my head..