Does music help you?

Lostinthestatic

Lostinthestatic

The depression makes me lose interest in everything, but recently I’ve been getting into metal. I used to really love that kind of music when I was younger and allowed myself to be angry, but I think I tried to suppress that part of me and now it’s spilling out again.

I’ve been listening to Slipknot, Gojira, Pantera, Tool (+Puscifer +A Perfect Circle), Primus, among other things.

Not sure that all of that can be grouped into “metal”, but to me it’s very emotional music that I can connect to. And when the sound is a bit more chaotic—as is the case with Primus—I feel at home, and comfortable.

What kind of music do you like, and how does it help you emotionally/mentally?

Flameheart

Flameheart

ACCOUNT CLOSED
ive used music since my early teens either to cope or a distraction and just to shut out the world, i remember being 12 or 13 and listening to one adele album on repeat whilst playing games on the computer, still love her music

then when i was 14-15 i became obsessed with paramore because that's when I started to have a lot of 'negative?' feelings about life in general and they just put everything i felt into their songs

now my music taste is much more diverse, i don't really have a favourite genre or singer, I think I can find someone to like and appreciate in pretty much every genre

without music the world would be pretty bland

J

johnram

I used to listen to music, and do some now
but found my choice of music often reflected the hidden emotions in my life, or would trigger me

to the OP - i would be careful of some metal music, as it can be depressive...hving used it for similar reasons myself

i am trying to go more upbeat but i do not much recent stuff

Lostinthestatic

Lostinthestatic

ive used music since my early teens either to cope or a distraction and just to shut out the world, i remember being 12 or 13 and listening to one adele album on repeat whilst playing games on the computer, still love her music

then when i was 14-15 i became obsessed with paramore because that's when I started to have a lot of 'negative?' feelings about life in general and they just put everything i felt into their songs

now my music taste is much more diverse, i don't really have a favourite genre or singer, I think I can find someone to like and appreciate in pretty much every genre

without music the world would be pretty bland
Ah yess I used to love Adele and Paramore too, my music taste is all over the place.

I can definitely relate to the whole shutting the world out thing, I do that so much nowadays even when someone is talking to me I’ll just blare the music in my headphones. Not necessarily the best strategy but sometimes I get too overwhelmed to engage.

Lostinthestatic

Lostinthestatic

I used to listen to music, and do some now
but found my choice of music often reflected the hidden emotions in my life, or would trigger me

to the OP - i would be careful of some metal music, as it can be depressive...hving used it for similar reasons myself

i am trying to go more upbeat but i do not much recent stuff
I can see what you mean, many of the songs I’ve come across are about a lot of pain and suffering and the darkness inside a person.

I try to balance it and also listen to songs with a more positive message, although because of my state of mind it’s hard to enjoy anything other than that extreme kind of emotional, raw sound. No pop music for me right now.

I’ll keep this in mind though, I do not want to sink deeper

E

EstherRose94

I think metal sounds fun. I don’t really listen to music much bc I get too emotional but I used to love anything with a good guitar solo 🤘🏼

L

Lunar Lady

I control my mood with music...

I listen to emotionally evocative music if I need to cry or express a buried emotion. It's controlled though - allow myself maybe an hour and then lift the tempo and bring myself out of it.

I rely on dance music to get the house work done and listen to really positive vibe stuff in the morning to set myself up positively. x

Screechout

Screechout

Throughout the majority of the day I'm listening to music, it's definitely a huge coping mechanism for me! I actually refuse to leave my house without my headphones

Lynds1990

Lynds1990

I actually just posted something about this lol. I'll just copy and paste. Music is a huge part of my life and keeping me grounded. It's the one sound around me that doesn't make me more anxious or angry when everything else is way too overstimulating.

"Patty from AII has a very comforting voice that also brings me back quite easily. I used to watch his videos on YouTube before he even started touring and everything. Any song from The Great Depression is definitely worth the listen if anyone is into pop/punk. They're very intent on breaking the stigma around mental health and so open about their own struggles, while not "romanticizing" mental illness, but also making sure people don't view it as "ugly" either. Just listen. That's my point lol."