• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Does "mood disorder" mean bipolar?

P

Pink

It is not clear what my dx actually is. But I was told it was a mood disorder and have in the past been diagnosed with bipolar. Don't know if this is still the case though.

I was put on an antidepressant which caused a psychosis although I have had a psychosis before this recent one 10 years prior. I guess I still believe the diagnosis is wrong and I have schizophrenia. But do patients with schizophrenia have 10 year remissions like I did.

P

Pink

Yes however when I took the antidepressant I was anxious and not depressed at least to my knowledge. But still a possibility though.

B

Blackwolf

Mood disorder does not equal bipolar. Every illness can have remissions. Why do you think you have schizophrenia? Maybe it is psychotic disorder? You know that psychosis doesn't mean being schizophrenic?

P

Pink

Mood disorder does not equal bipolar. Every illness can have remissions. Why do you think you have schizophrenia? Maybe it is psychotic disorder? You know that psychosis doesn't mean being schizophrenic?
I do know. But I have had a dx of schiz in the past too. That was my first diagnosis although they decided on that the third day they saw me.

B

Blackwolf

I do know. But I have had a dx of schiz in the past too. That was my first diagnosis although they decided on that the third day they saw me.
Oh I see. Getting a proper diagnosis is so hard. I was diagnosed with depression and anxiety + social anxiety at the age of 16, I had psychotic episode at time. Then at the age of 20 in a hospital they thought I have BPD or other personality disorders mixed or bipolar. I'm 23 now, I don't even ask my psychiatrist what he thinks. My therapist (which was also my main therapist in a hospital) said I have BPD, depression and anxiety and I trust him the most as he knows me best out of all doctors I met

Wishbone

Wishbone

You're best off just asking them outright when you next have an appointment, they shouldn't have any reason for keeping anything from you and any obscurities are possibly only down to them not nailing anything down previously. For example, if they sent you on your way and told you that you had a mood disorder, any subsequent responses to medication or any further episodes or changes would likely confirm or deny what they were thinking. Everyone should always ask all they can, it concerns you and your care after all.

I

innocent21

Mood disorder refers to a range of mental health conditions like
  • Bipolar disorder
  • Anxiety or Generalised anxiety disorder
  • Social anxiety or selective mutism
  • Schizophrenia
  • Depression
  • Borderline personality disorder (BPD)
Some of these might have a psychotic element depending on the person.

Wishbone

Wishbone

I asked because to me at least, four out of the six you listed are not mood disorders, only Bipolar and depression and the variations on these would be mood disorders.

jajingna

jajingna

I don't know if social anxiety, for one, is a mood disorder. I'd say it's an emotional problem and can be a disorder. Is a phobia a mood disorder? I guess unreasonable fears are part of one's mood. Anxiety doesn't quite seem to be a mood though, seems like more of a physiological state connected to thinking there is some sort of threat to your well-being.

Bluejay7500

Bluejay7500

I don't know if social anxiety, for one, is a mood disorder. I'd say it's an emotional problem and can be a disorder. Is a phobia a mood disorder? I guess unreasonable fears are part of one's mood. Anxiety doesn't quite seem to be a mood though, seems like more of a physiological state connected to thinking there is some sort of threat to your well-being.
Totally relate I think anxiety can be crippling mentally and physically. Almost like a spiraling effect. I had schizophrenia now I have anxiety. What gives...

Wishbone

Wishbone

Anxiety doesn't quite seem to be a mood though, seems like more of a physiological state connected to thinking there is some sort of threat to your well-being.
That's exactly what it is. Borne out of fear, fight or flight, reaction etc. I had a huge problem with it a few years back and it was independent of mood, and was instead wholly situational: I was in a situation I didn't want to be in and fear kicked in and tried to get me out of it. It's an anxiety disorder and very much psychological-physiological response in origin, but can be induced or increased by biological interference - in my case, via medication I was taking at the time.

Schizophrenia is a delusional/psychotic disorder; and BPD is obviously a personality disorder, as the name suggests.

jajingna

jajingna

I guess another way of looking at an anxiety disorder is that it probably began as something useful. It is there to protect, even to ensure survival. It may have been a childhood response that was needed to feel safe. What could have happened is that it became such a regular go-to response, needed so often over years in early life. This trained the brain and nervous system. This once useful response was something that happened so many times, maybe like every day for 20 years growing up.. and if no other response has been learned, you will keep using the one you mastered long ago whenever threat is perceived. The disorder lies in the inability to interrupt this reflexive response, and to remove that perception that threat is there. It's like it is hardwired and would need to be unlearned or replaced with better responses. What once served a useful purpose has become part of illness.