does MH illness steal your core values?

letmein

letmein

sorry, might be along post I'll try not to go on too much..

something has happen tonight which has shocked/hurt me. I think I have lost some of my core values here. caring, trying to be nice... decent, left wing.. i'm not sure whats left?

its been hard, I have been on heavy meds for PTSD/OCD/GAD/DEPRESSION for over 7 years... they have changed me..

but i've alos lost me.

i am so sorry.

T

Trekster33

I have a number of different disabilities mental health and other. I'd say my experiences have shaped my core values.

Due to my traumatic childhood I am more likely to notice when others are affected by theirs. I have a lot of empathy for those affected by the same disabilities as myself.

I know what it's like to be discriminated against and to not be believed.

I told a mentally abusive relative where to go last weekend and it feels liberating to be avoiding them. Many of my peers support the viewpoint that being around them is a bad idea.

Sometimes a big shock like you've had gives you the motivation to take productive action.

I get my morals from watching or reading star trek episodes.

I ploughed my experiences into studying, singing and looking after myself because I'm better than my experiences and my disabilities.

Hope this helps.

letmein

letmein

not sure tbh

I'm not sure if I'm still a OK person ? I try and help this homeless guy by me, I also try and support a local community project, not with money a such but just going to it... I got the homeless guy some boxers & socks for Christmas..

I wat to eb able to be called a "decent bloke" when i die...

lost all mu value in myself...

Flameheart

Flameheart

ACCOUNT CLOSED
before my mental health got really bad I was the person people could easily approach if they wanted advice or just needed a friend, now I come across stand-offish and impulsive, I'm aware of that

Skynet

Skynet

When I'm depressed, I'm jealous of people who are happy and want the whole world to suffer alongside me. So my answer is yes.

OCDguy

OCDguy

To answer the question, in my opinion, negative experiences can make us take a wrong turn in life. I would like to think that if those negative experiences are taken away, then someone may return to those core values. I would like to add that taking wrong turns in life may well also have a detrimental affect on day to day relationships with others and so on. One negative cog, often turns another. Perhaps before taking that wrong turn, try getting a second, third, fourth opinion from people with a rounded opinion...