• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Does Meditation Help?

F

fragrant_violet

Hey floatin

Meditation does work but you gotta do every day for about two months

Forget all the buddhist piffle about enlightenment. That just aint gonna happen but you will find you can stop reacting to negative thoughts, even separate yourself frae them.

Just do it.. Try guided audio to get you o.mn the right payh. Then all you need do is count numbers as you breath

www.freemindfulness.com

G

Ginger Kitten

@Ginger Kitten, I have had Samatha bring up repressed traumatic memories but the thing was I was so chilled off the meditation it didn't bother me.
Yes Lone Wanderer, I understand, but what I said will hold true for a certain amount of people: this is a known effect of meditation, as it induces a trance-like state. When you still the mind like that, anything might come up - and that could include trauma, which you were probably able to deal with because you had had experience of meditating. To those who are new to it, or who haven't yet addressed the trauma, or who are particularly vulnerable, re-experiencing it and being re-traumatised are very real possibilities. Best wishes, GK.

B

bebernipes

For me it works a lot! But it's not every time that I achieve the same effect. There are days when stress and anxiety are so strong that I can't concentrate. Two types of meditation that I like very much are guided meditation and reiki. There are videos on youtube for both types. For those who don't mind having someone talking and giving instructions during the meditation, I highly recommend it!

F

fragrant_violet

Meditation does not produce a trance like state. I wish it would. I can do slf hypnosis but hardly a trance like state

After a.bout 4 monnths of meditation twice a day for 45 minutes, i was so convinced I was cured of deprezssion and a.nxiety that i came very carefully off all 3 meds i was on. Wham! A complete breakdown and had to reinstate.

Meditation is not a cure but the best. help you can give yourself. Its boring
I usually do it listening to classical music. Of course painful pas5 thoughts come up but I am more or lesd able now to let them drift away

Lone_wanderer

Lone_wanderer

Meditation does not produce a trance like state. I wish it would. I can do slf hypnosis but hardly a trance like state

After a.bout 4 monnths of meditation twice a day for 45 minutes, i was so convinced I was cured of deprezssion and a.nxiety that i came very carefully off all 3 meds i was on. Wham! A complete breakdown and had to reinstate.

Meditation is not a cure but the best. help you can give yourself. Its boring
I usually do it listening to classical music. Of course painful pas5 thoughts come up but I am more or lesd able now to let them drift away
Some of the deeper concentrated states likeJhana could be seen as trance like. I don't engage in those practices. Personally. I am more into the resting in non attached awareness teachings of Ajahn Sumedho. I do agree that meditation is not a panacea for mental health problems.

G

Ginger Kitten

"Meditation does not produce a trance like state."

You can't be dogmatic about this. It clearly doesn't in you, but I was just trying to give people who haven't tried it an idea of what it might be like - and that it holds dangers for people who've been traumatised. If I've got to watch every tiny thing I say I'm going to have to have a rest from this forum. Please don't talk in absolutes: what is true for you is not the case for someone else (in this case, me) and vice versa. GK

Z

Zoe1

I found a way to ' switch my brain off '
after reading Norman Kembers Prisoner in Iraq
really helped with the lockdown
but I can't seem to unlock it now

Lone_wanderer

Lone_wanderer

Shikantaza seems to be better than anapanasati at holding my depression at bay today.

F

fragrant_violet

"Meditation does not produce a trance like state."

You can't be dogmatic about this. It clearly doesn't in you, but I was just trying to give people who haven't tried it an idea of what it might be like - and that it holds dangers for people who've been traumatised. If I've got to watch every tiny thing I say I'm going to have to have a rest from this forum. Please don't talk in absolutes: what is true for you is not the case for someone else (in this case, fme) and vice versa. GK
I found a way to '

Hey ginger

Did you know that 80% of ginger cats are male? Thats one crazy quirk of evolution. I can only guess that the orange color made them too visible to dinosaurs and other predators so they had to become male to defend theirselfs

You was a Buddhists for a few years. So why did you quit? Did you ever get a trance? Put a % on meditators what get trance

Trauma. Is reason. To do meditation not not do

I think your confusing the mystical injun kinda meditation with the non religious kind

I was actually taught it by a Zenist. But the other pseudo mystic Buddhist piffle what come with it annoyed me

Now i just do lying on my back counting breathes. It helps

Please dont quit the forum your inpu t is Good

F

fragrant_violet

Hey ginger

Did you know that 80% of ginger cats are male? Thats one crazy quirk of evolution. I can only guess that the orange color made them too visible to dinosaurs and other predators so they had to become male to defend theirselfs

You was a Buddhists for a few years. So why did you quit? Did you ever get a trance? Put a % on meditators what get trance

Trauma. Is reason. To do meditation not not do

I think your confusing the mystical injun kinda meditation with the non religious kind

I was actually taught it by a Zenist. But the other pseudo mystic Buddhist piffle what come with it annoyed me

Now i just do lying on my back counting breathes. It helps

Please dont quit the forum your inpu t is Good

F

fragrant_violet

Sorry about presentation of last two posts but using a cheap old lump of ,3d shite which is all I can afford rite now

If I had to chooae a religion it would be Buddhist but the gig with meditation is that you dont need to co vert to a religii to do it

F

fragrant_violet

This is my final thought for the day you'll be relieved to hear

I think we can safely say that using our rational brain to outthink 5ttr4aumma, horrid past memories and intrusive thought very rarely works.

Meditation uses a different channel which is maybe why it works. You let th3sese awful thoughts arise naturally and learn through repeated practice to observe aand nôt get entangled with

F

fragrant_violet

There's one helluva lotta Buddhist on this forum closer to 10 than 5 persons. That is impressive and reveals the intelligence of the folk on this forum since Buddhists are generally deep thinkers. They also belong to various sects/movements.

My good zen buddy who taught me meditation put me off zen with a number of sillly remarks the one below finally did it for me

How are you today?
Struggling badly (me)
That's all part of it!

But I continue to practice meditation in my own way and with my preferred breathing and it has kept me alive which is the only reason I do it. Yesterday i did 5 hours only because I have nothing else better to do.

There are different types of meditation but all I do is count breathes.

F

fragrant_violet

@JINGFO thanks for sharing your experience. In my opinion, and this is very personal opinion, meditation and mundfulness have turned into "clichés" terms in our daily lives.

'I'm sure there are people with high expertise in meditation that can achieve relaxation states. But these are very few individuals that have years of experience.
Es corretto
From now on I refuse to use that word again
I will call it controlled breathing
It needs to be separate d. from mystic stuff
More folk might do it then