• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Does Meditation Help?

floatin

floatin

Recently I’ve been wanting to try meditation to help me with my BP. I believe in it and I’ve researched it quite a bit but I’ve never been able to feel “different” while meditating. I hear people talk about this comatose state of relaxation and all but I’ve never been able to achieve it. Does meditation help any of you, or any tips etc?

M

Marianda

I've tried meditation thousand times and never reached that "zen" or " perfect" state. People talk about mindfulness and meditation but it's not helpful for me.

floatin

floatin

I've tried meditation thousand times and never reached that "zen" or " perfect" state. People talk about mindfulness and meditation but it's not helpful for me.
Maybe I’m not the only one! Thanks for the reply.

Karmaman

Karmaman

It is a discipline. Starting off just 15 minutes a day morning and evening is a beginning. I don't think there's an immediate state of enlightenment like Zen's satori.
I have found it near impossible to settle down to properly practice as my mind is just so overactive with anxiety and worry but I won't give up. I think it is helpful.
I do find comfort in listening to Thanissaro Bhikku's Dhamma talks and guided meditations.
Home | dhammatalks.org

floatin

floatin

It is a discipline. Starting off just 15 minutes a day morning and evening is a beginning. I don't think there's an immediate state of enlightenment like Zen's satori.
I have found it near impossible to settle down to properly practice as my mind is just so overactive with anxiety and worry but I won't give up. I think it is helpful.
I do find comfort in listening to Thanissaro Bhikku's Dhamma talks and guided meditations.
Home | dhammatalks.org
Sweet! I’ll check out dhammatalks and see how it suits me too. Also that’s why I think I have a hard time meditating too, mind always running.

J

JINGFO

i have been to this meditation retreat called vipassana several times, what i learned from my experience is (my personal opinion please dont believe it just listen it and forget it, as it may become hindrance if you readily believe it)
1) nobody knows what meditation is, everybody starts with bodily sensation and claims to reach higher state which includes mental one, but then it becomes highly subjective and difficult to proceed further as courage comes at some cost, cost of doubt, cost of loosing yourself, cost of unknown.
2) peace is not ultimate aim, if it is, then it is highly materialistic itself, the constant thought of achieving peace may becomes your biggest hindrance and source of suffering.
3) before it get goods it may go through worse and not everyone is good at handling worst.
4) there is no guru, there is no teacher, the moment you idolised someone you want to be be them instead of achieving what you really are and can be, the demand for becoming something else than you really are is blinding meditationer.
5) if there is something called enlightenment then it is not necessary that it comes only through meditation, meditation can be entirely fruitless and you may never achieve or get or become it, be ready for this fruitless efforts.
6) fear is biggest hindrance geting over it is not easy but it may be possible if you are not afraid of death.

M

Marianda

@JINGFO thanks for sharing your experience. In my opinion, and this is very personal opinion, meditation and mundfulness have turned into "clichés" terms in our daily lives.

'I'm sure there are people with high expertise in meditation that can achieve relaxation states. But these are very few individuals that have years of experience.

S

SFGuy

I practice occasional mindfulness meditation and attended a big Marin County thing featuring Thich Nhat Hahn years ago. I took a class, too, but it was boring and I quit before it ended. Enlightenment will always elude me, but paying attention to my breathing and my body in a body scan can often bring me back to earth and calm me down. Not always.

K

keith74

My wife does a lot of meditation, and listens to podcasts and music that is designed to be relaxing (binaural beats, etc). She finds it mildly helpful. It's tough when you are in the throes of a severe episode but more helpful when you are trying to prevent one.

Wishbone

Wishbone

Sorry, but all I can think of is this.
"But I am yet to attain omnipresent supergalactic oneness"

floatin

floatin

My wife does a lot of meditation, and listens to podcasts and music that is designed to be relaxing (binaural beats, etc). She finds it mildly helpful. It's tough when you are in the throes of a severe episode but more helpful when you are trying to prevent one.
Thanks Keith I appreciate it, I forgot about binaural beats I used to like them. Thanks for the idea!

G

Ginger Kitten

It worked for me: I was a Buddhist for 5 years, but then I was meditating for an hour a day. I took to it easily but not everyone does. Generally, as stated before, you start gradually and build up your practice over time. And also, as someone's said, the aim is not to have 'great meditations, it's more about setting a positive intention while meditating.

I found it very calming, but you're not 'comatose' (which means out cold anyway!), you're more aware than that. It's hard to describe but is a kind of peaceful but heightened awareness. If you try it, be aware that it can bring up trauma in those who've experienced it, so if it is recent trauma, it's probably best avoided until you've recovered. The other thing to bear in mind is that it doesn't work for everyone. It depends how much of a tendency to anxiety you have; if you're feeling anxious or agitated, it's very difficult to meditate, ime.

I say give it a go. If it works, you've another 'tool in your toolbox' as they keep saying in the mh arena. If not, at least you tried. All the best, Ginger.

Lone_wanderer

Lone_wanderer

@Ginger Kitten, I have had Samatha bring up repressed traumatic memories but the thing was I was so chilled off the meditation it didn't bother me.