• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

• Safety Notice: This section on Psychiatric Drugs/Medications enables people to share their personal experiences of using such drugs/medications. Always seek the advice of your doctor, psychiatrist or other qualified health professional before making any changes to your medications or with any questions you may have regarding drugs/medications. In considering coming off psychiatric drugs it is very important that you are aware that most psychiatric drugs can cause withdrawal reactions, sometimes including life-threatening emotional and physical withdrawal problems. In short, it is not only dangerous to start taking psychiatric drugs, it can also be dangerous to stop them. Withdrawal from psychiatric drugs should only be done carefully under experienced clinical supervision.

Does Lamictal Make You Stupid?

FlowersInYourHair

FlowersInYourHair

I've been on Lamictal for the past 2 years and I've noticed a difference in my thinking. I can never think of the right word to say when I'm having a conversation with someone. I'll start talking and then I just can't think of how to finish the sentence so I'll just stop in the middle of it. It's embarrassing. And I've seen a difference in my writing also. I just don't sound as smart. And I have trouble remembering things. I've searched the web and found other people who say the same thing.

Does this happen to anyone else who's taking Lamictal?

I'm trying to get off the drug now and now I'm at 100mg (was at 200). I've already noticed an improvement in my thinking.

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

I only took lamictal briefly but stopped after 3 months/
(It gave me god-awful headaches and trouble staying asleep.. i've always struggled getting off to sleep, but never experienced continual waking every couple of hours until I took lamictal).

So yeah, I can't really comment on whether or not it made me feel a bit "stupid", but it's not uncommon for meds to really slow you down.

It's interesting that you're noticing an improvement now you're decreasing the dose. Hopefully you can feel better once you're off it completely.

calypso

calypso

Admin
I'm on it and have been for years. It was like I discovered how most people are and its been wonderful. I haven't had any problems.

You could be sensitive to it, not all drugs affect people the same way. Or your symptoms of the MH problem underlying are changing. I think we blame the drug sometimes when its other things. But as I say, not all meds suit everyone and no meds would suit us all better if we could get away without them LOL.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Mom_To_Two_Too Does lamotrigine cause stomach problems? Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 6
H Risperidone - Does this reduce your BMR (Metabolism) Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 6
H Does anyone rely on daily promethazine Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 2
TheLuna Abilify - How long does it take? Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 23
M Does xanax give you night sweats? Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 2
M Does no side effects mean medication isn’t working? Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 3
Faith198 Does this sound like Prozac withdrawal? Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 6
F Does 8mg of methylprednisolone make you gain weight? Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 2
W Risperidone withdrawal - nausea - normal? How long does it take to withdraw? Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 2
S Does weed interact with fluoxetine? Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 2
W Anyone on vraylar and what symptoms does it help you with? Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 2
H Does Aripiprazole work? Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 11
M 1 week on Pregabalin/Lyrica, how long does it take to work? Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 3
albie Does Restleness Go Away Eventually? Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 7
H Why does Sertraline zombify me? Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 10
T does medication help? Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 3
T Does anybody get paranoid over their meds, or am i just paranoid? Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 2
I Does anyone have any experience with Serotonin Syndrome? Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 15
CarpeDentum Sertraline 'Zoloft' withdrawal advice.....How long does this last for? Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 4
CarpeDentum Sertraline 'Zoloft' withdrawal advice.....How long does this last for? Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 3
F Does taking antidepressants during pregnancy harm the child? Here are the facts Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 2
V Does anyone take visteral for anxiety? Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 1
O Why does almost no psychiatric medication have any effect. Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 1
S does labido come back after discontinuing Depixol? Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 15
Cinders Does anyone use Risperidone for anxiety? Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 12
Eldritch Does medicine ever stop working for you? Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 1
Fairy Lucretia does your medication help you? Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 7
I Does anyone here take Venlafaxine hydrochloride? Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 2
P Does anybody have any experience of Quetiapine? Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 10
B Does anyone have Tachycardia when taking Mental Health Medications? Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 5
cpuusage Does Long-Term Use of “Antipsychotic” Drugs Result in More Disability, and More Psychosis? Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 18
E How long does it take for clozapine to have its full effect? Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 5
F Antipsychotic medication during pregnancy does affect babies Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 10
S Does anyone have success with prozac Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 2
shaky Does diazepam go off? Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 5
scitzorich why does it have to be one or the other not both at the same time Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 25
E does your tongue go numb/feel weird..... Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 2
L Does Cipralex in Liquid form still continued Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 5
R How long does it take for omega 3 fatty acids to eliminate borderline personality disorder symptoms? Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 1
Mom_To_Two_Too Lamictal for depression/anxiety...gonna stop Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 12
C Mood swings on lamictal? Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 10
Erudite49 Lamictal and CBD oil. Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 2
F Lamictal Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 1
Faith198 Anyone take Lamictal for anxiety and depression? Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 2
W Help tapering off Lamictal and finding new med Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 17
W Tapering off Lamictal and findig Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 1
I Lamictal help Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 1
W Benztropine to reduce yawning from Lamictal Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 3
W Lamictal and yawning Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 6
W Lamictal side effects vs Lithium side effects Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 6