• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Does it sound like I have bipolar?

I

it2ly

I'm really sorry If I'm not allowed to ask things like this and I know nobody can diagnose me but please help. Also I'm sorry if I come off as insensitive in anyway. I am 18 yr old girl and I have ADHD, autism, social anxiety, and ocd (so its possible a lot of what I say here might be stemming from those disabilities instead but I'm really not sure.)

I suspect I may have cyclothymia (which I've heard is a type of bipolar but to a milder degree) every trait I saw about It I related too. The suddenly elevated mood with the excessive urge to be really social, talk a lot, and have genuinely way too much energy, become impulsive (like I spent 60 dollars impulsively the other day when I was super happy), I then broke a glass because I was curious and had the strong urge to. Suddenly contrasted an irritable mood, overly cautious, hating on everything, being very antisocial and having little to no energy. The thing is, these high and lows as far as I've noticed, I don't think they have been lasting for a week and then different for another week, not even a whole day. It feels more like its within the day thats why I don't think I can call it bipolar but I don't know what it is. Suddenly I am loud, impulsive, optimistic, highly creative, like everything and then a few hours later for no reason at all I become pessimistic, all my ideas I had before change, I'm not longer creative, I lose all independence, I overthink everything and I cause negativity in places. Also its not just my mood that fluctuates but my empathy seems to fluctuate a lot too and as does my sexual drive it goes from 1 to 100. Also adding on, I idealize so many people and want to befriend everyone and I expect the highest hopes and then they leave me on read once and I instantly think they hate me, and that they are horrible and my brain fuels up with negative thoughts about them and none of those thoughts go away until its confirmed that they don't hate me, like all they have to do is smile at me or say something nice to me, and the negative thoughts disappear except for some lingering paranoia that they are lying.

Maybe it could be linked with sleep deprivation but even when I get good sleep, its the same thing so maybe its anxiety, all I know is it is also some identity crisis. Also I've heard that people with bipolar disorder don't feel tired and I have gone 22 hours without sleep and I don't really feel that tired... Sometimes I feel like it maybe not be unintentional, maybe I'm intentionally making myself more energetic and optimistic as a coverup but other times it just doesn't feel like that at all. Please help.

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
@it2ly it takes a psychiatrist a long time to confirm a diagnosis. We are all so different in so many small ways.

Do you need medication? If life is too difficult to manage, you could ask your psychiatrist.

K

keith74

Welcome to the forum. I hope you find the answers you seek

Your symptoms do sound like bipolar mood swings.
The thing is, these high and lows as far as I've noticed, I don't think they have been lasting for a week and then different for another week, not even a whole day. It feels more like its within the day thats why I don't think I can call it bipolar but I don't know what it is.
There is something called ultradian rapid cycling bipolar. Your moods can shift very quickly, like in the same day. See the video below at the 1:40 mark:

I

it2ly

@Tawny I'm not sure if I have it so I don't know if I can just ask for pills to help with it. I'm also very scared of taking any kind of medication for any of my disorders because of the side effects. Also I can't really tell my psychologist the problems I experienced because I would have to tell her about rlly personal stories from when I was younger that would get someone close to me in trouble.

I

it2ly

@keith74 Ty I'll check this out. I just am confused that it could be my adhd making me have these mood swings, or social anxiety... and ty for welcoming me here.

K

keith74

@keith74 Ty I'll check this out. I just am confused that it could be my adhd making me have these mood swings, or social anxiety... and ty for welcoming me here.

That could be the case also. Note that it is very common for people with bipolar to also have ADHD and GAD (General Anxiety Disorder).

G

Ginger Kitten

@it2ly From what you say, particularly your quickly fluctuating view of people, and your moods switching in the same day (that's not usual in bp, we usually stay in distinct mood states for a while), it sounds more like emotionally unstable personality disorder (EUPD, or Borderline PD). But as someone else has said, only a psychiatrist can tell you definitively. I wd ask for your GP for a referral to see a psych. The treatments for the 2 conditions are v different, so u need a correct diagnosis to get on the right care pathway. Regards, Ginger