Does harm OCD have to be physical?

Ocdthebuginmybrain

Ocdthebuginmybrain

So I posted a question on a Facebook group about harm OCD. I feared for 20 years HIV. I know this is contamination OCD but I think it was also harm OCD. The reason I say this is because I didn't fear for myself, I feared I'd catch it by some irrational way and the fear was then spreading it in an irrational way to those I love and it would harm them. So I say maybe this is a type of harm OCD that needs exploring. Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
M

Moth

Hi! A part of contamination ocd that I rarely see talked about is that you can worry about others being contaminated along with yourself. In the beginning, I was only concerned about myself getting diseases or illnesses but it spread to my boyfriend this last winter with the flu. I can see where you connected these thoughts with harm ocd and its really hard to say for sure since your worried that you yourself would be the one to do it. I know that harm ocd doesn't have to be physical-only though because I know that a common obsession is accidental poisoning.

Ocdthebuginmybrain

Ocdthebuginmybrain

Hi! A part of contamination ocd that I rarely see talked about is that you can worry about others being contaminated along with yourself. In the beginning, I was only concerned about myself getting diseases or illnesses but it spread to my boyfriend this last winter with the flu. I can see where you connected these thoughts with harm ocd and its really hard to say for sure since your worried that you yourself would be the one to do it. I know that harm ocd doesn't have to be physical-only though because I know that a common obsession is accidental poisoning.
Thank you. I think it's something that could definitely be explored. I see it as a form of harm OCD as well because my fear was that I would cause harm through my contamination. I was a bit irritated on Facebook with the response I received as I felt it was ignorant to say what was said. I did a response video on my OCD YouTube channel. I really think this company s something worth exploring further as a form of harm OCD.