• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

does exercise really help moderate to servere depression?

J

JJ1

anyone out there who got better from severe depression by exercising regularly ?

M

MouthyOne

I am a big believer in exercising for low mood. It has been proven to be at least or more effective than medication in studies.

Exercising doesn't need to be rigourous, a walk in the park can be helpful. It's not a cure however has shown signs to help.

Severe Depression is crippling and can stop people in their tracks. Setting a small exercise goal can soon build up.

Z

Zaz

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I went to the gym for 2 years 3 times a week and I can honestly say it never once lifted my mood or lessened my depression.

losingme1989

losingme1989

Think it depends on contributing factors and your current state of physical health, I don't find regular exercise is always helpful in my case living with chronic illness, there have been quite a number of times when I feel worse psychologically & physically after exercising.

jajingna

jajingna

Exercise is good for us, depressed or not.

DistantOcean

DistantOcean

I have found it really difficult to keep exercising during my depression. For a few months I managed to be able to do some weightlifting 3-4 times a week for sessions of 15-30mins each. Lifting weights did nothing for my mood however. A couple of days ago I started running. Only 5 mins of running followed by 5 mins of rest and then another 5 mins of running. I do honestly feel as if I get a small mental boost from it which lasts a couple of hours after the exercise is done. Also I walk a lot which does help to occupy my mind but does not have any long lasting effect on my mental health.

JessisMe

JessisMe

I have found that a brisk walk can help to elevate the mood temporarily. xo, j

sunset547544

sunset547544

If you can manage it try 1 hour on a treadmill @ 7.5 kph with the last 20m @ 8 kph. Maybe you could gradually work toward this goal? I feel great after this for about 24h. Note, I wont let myself go to the gym if I am above a certain weight or it's too painful.

S

seabreezes

I really think it depends person to person? My old psychiatrist would tell me to take an hour long walk every day, but all that did was take me from being depressed indoors to being depressed outside. Even intense, indoor workouts don’t help much past a 30-60 distraction... and even then I don’t feel better- just miserable *and* now exhausted.

However, several people I know also swear that exercise really helps them feel better, whether they’re just kinda blue or feeling crippingly depressed. So I wouldn’t knock it before you try it, I guess!

I

Ian Haines

(1) Movement, (2) purpose and (3) company. Going on a walk satisfies "movement", but it leaves out the other two. It's a good idea to try to involve more than one of the features - all three, at best!

Example: Doing an hour's walk, for a reason other than just doing a walk and do it, whatever it all is, in company. One image of this could be...doing a (1) walk, for (2) charity, with (3) others - that's movement + company + purpose. That's just one example, though...you could probably invent dozens of your own.

Z

Zaz

ACCOUNT CLOSED
And what about people who have no one?

Z

Zaz

ACCOUNT CLOSED
What if your life has no purpose or meaning anymore?