• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Does drinking cause mania?

R

raverminx

Just wondering if drinking booze can cause mania? I am bipolar but find my symptoms are worse when drinking or taking drugs. That makes me think if it's the substances or the illness that makes me ill??
If I have a drink i ether get so low that I try to take my life, or so high thst I do manic things. My thoughts race like crazy sometimes if I have a drink.
Would love some advice, thanks

emski

emski

I usually don't drink unless I'm going off (self bloody medicating), and lately, all booze seems to do is make me quite psychotic in my behaviour and thoughts. I'm trying to leave the demon drink alone

S

*Sapphire*

Hi raverminx

I guess i've experienced and seen others react to alcohol in many different ways. It is usually known as a depressant but I have seen people go through a whole host of emotions whilst drinking it.

I guess it might be possible that alcohol can interact with your illness but also your medication, and could also be dependent on the environment you are in, what you are going through, the thoughts you might have had that day, down to how much you have eaten if at all.

For most people everytime you have a drink you are taking a gamble with your emotions, I don't know anyone who can 100 percent guarantee a response to it, especially if they are on meds.

I guess I would be asking myself if drinking is worth the consequences either way?

S

skyblue

Just wondering if drinking booze can cause mania? I am bipolar but find my symptoms are worse when drinking or taking drugs. That makes me think if it's the substances or the illness that makes me ill??
If I have a drink i ether get so low that I try to take my life, or so high thst I do manic things. My thoughts race like crazy sometimes if I have a drink.
Yes, it certainly makes me manic, which is why I steer clear of it altogether now. Bipolar and alcohol do not mix.

:flowers:

R

rasselas

Alcohol/ethanol is a drug with two distinct actions depending on dose and duration.

It starts out at low dose (the first few drinks, depending on your tolerance, metabolism, feelings prior to drinking, what youve eaten and so on) as a stimulant. This can feel like mania. That euphoric feeling can lead to a manic binge, as you try to sustain the high.

But after a few drinks alcohol works as a depressant. In most people. Most of the time.

There are also the effects of expectations. If you expect gin to make you very low, it most likely will. If you expect lager to make you very sociable, crazy and fun, then most likely it will.

:)

S

*Sapphire*

Thank you Mark I did not know that. I'll try not to expect to go home in an ambulance then. Mmm.:p

angrydad

angrydad

In the past, drinking and taking drugs was how I managed my bp. I would drink during manic episode and when depression set in (as mark.uk states above) I would take coke and speed to get myself out of the depression causing me to become psychotic leading me to drink etc etc....and on and on.

Drinking even small ammounts now is a problem to me so I just don't drink at all. I havn't taken drugs for nearly twenty years and I feel that my bp is more manageable without either drink or drugs.

Hope this is of some help

dib4uk

dib4uk

Drinking can cause a depressive episode that i know off, when i drink i get all low and moody, even worse than i normally am- so i try not to drink that much anymore. Dont know about taking drugs sorry.

S

skyblue

When I used to drink, people often thought I was high on drugs :unsure: and I felt it too. People that didn't know me didn't believe I was just drinking alcohol. It had a strange effect on me, but then I always used to drink whilst taking my medication without any thought, so I suppose this could have had something to do with it. Quite embarrassing when I look back on things, the bizarre behaviour and risk taking :unsure:. It also used to cause Psychosis :(.

But yes, as Mark says, alcohol is a depressant (and it always gets you in the end). I've learnt the hard way and needed to detox in hospital (the worst and most terrifying experience of my life).

My fav drink now is ginger and lemon herbal tea :p.

Last edited:
S

skyblue

It starts out at low dose (the first few drinks, depending on your tolerance, metabolism, feelings prior to drinking, what youve eaten and so on) as a stimulant. This can feel like mania. That euphoric feeling can lead to a manic binge, as you try to sustain the high.

But after a few drinks alcohol works as a depressant. In most people. Most of the time.
This is true for everyone, though I believe alcohol effects people with Bipolar at a higher level.

I used to be amazed that my friends could always sleep, I could never sleep until midday the next day, I would be dancing all night (and they were the ones on drugs) :oops:.

Last edited:
J

jms45

Alcohol

Thank you Mark I did not know that. I'll try not to expect to go home in an ambulance then. Mmm.:p
Ive had lifts from amubulances from police and god knows how. I go completely crazy when I drink. But I dont drink everyday and mostly find it repugnant. My trigger is going out when ive been invited by old friends. Its so complicated and Im blaming it on everything except the alcohol. I have social phobia, but only in certain situations. I can be extra confident and seem like a right arrogant cow when Im sober and on a night out. I will not be put in box. I have so many bad memories I never know what kind of day ill have. But if ive been invited out by old friends Ill not eat all day and rush round like a lunatic then have a drink before i go out and act like im someone else. I need alcohol so much in certain situations that if i dont have it I think Im going mad. And other time I can drink all night in a different surrounding and be quite normal. And other times I dont want to drink at all, Im convinced the AD's Im on are hurting me, but I cant come off them without going crazy after 3 days. Ive been referred for another opinion by my doctor and waiting to see someone else now for 4 months.... in the meantime Ive been going from suicidal to manic, depressed and content, round in circles I am. This is all with or without the alcohol. Ill shut up now. Sorry, I know its confusing ..... I should go back to GP and sort my meds out again, but Im tired of it all, been on Ad's since I was 17 on and off... when will I get the help ??? Ive seen various councillors all my life too

rasselas.redux

rasselas.redux

ACCOUNT CLOSED
mark.uk said:
There are also the effects of expectations. If you expect gin to make you very low, it most likely will. If you expect lager to make you very sociable, crazy and fun, then most likely it will.

:)
Okay mark.uk, I am drinking grolsch and expecting it to make me irresistible to highly sexed women. Will report back for sloppy seconds forthwith.

What is mania anyway? It's a concept that has changed. Originally it included epilepsy, religious visions, contorting paroxysms of the soul, and any episode of Tiswas. Now it's anything from wearing a funny hat to giggling alone on the bus because everyone is pretending no one else matters.

Does mania induce drinking or drinking induce mania?

Probably neither, in the final analysis. Getting drunk is getting drunk. Getting drunk and acting like a twat is and always has been getting drunk and acting like a twat.

How do I know all this?

I know all this because I'm drinking grolsch and sitting on the bus wearing a funny hat and giggling at the other passengers who are quietly and unashamedly pretending they are not having paroxysms of the soul.

Now everyone knock em back quick coz bobshockers got his wallet out. ;)

calypso

calypso

Admin
JMS45

This is a very old thread, (2 years old), so would it be an idea to write your own thread so we can understand you better? Just an idea.

I think all the answers are valid, drink can have bad effects on bipolar as it lowers inhibitions so can emphasise an underlying mood.

T

Topcat

Okay mark.uk, I am drinking grolsch and expecting it to make me irresistible to highly sexed women. Will report back for sloppy seconds forthwith.

What is mania anyway? It's a concept that has changed. Originally it included epilepsy, religious visions, contorting paroxysms of the soul, and any episode of Tiswas. Now it's anything from wearing a funny hat to giggling alone on the bus because everyone is pretending no one else matters.

Does mania induce drinking or drinking induce mania?

Probably neither, in the final analysis. Getting drunk is getting drunk. Getting drunk and acting like a twat is and always has been getting drunk and acting like a twat.

How do I know all this?

I know all this because I'm drinking grolsch and sitting on the bus wearing a funny hat and giggling at the other passengers who are quietly and unashamedly pretending they are not having paroxysms of the soul.

Now everyone knock em back quick coz bobshockers got his wallet out. ;)
You make me laugh :)
X