• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Does depression make you say things you don’t mean to the people closest to you?

E

Ee123

The other day, me and my boyfriend, who I love very much, were having a silly argument. He said something which I didn’t like and it upset me a little, but instead of saying I didn’t like what he said, I said “I hate you”. I didn’t mean it at all and I definitely do not hate him. We have a very good relationship and now I feel really bad. Is it normal to say things you don’t mean in the heat of the moment when you are low? Has this every happened to anyone else?

P

Purpleplum

Yes it does. When you're in pain, you lash out - we're just animals after all.

jajingna

jajingna

Yeah, for sure, a bad mood, or an illness, can be behind saying some things like that

Blooming

Blooming

We all say things we don't mean sometimes, but it is important to give an apology afterward. A diagnose shall never be an excuse for not treating others with ordinary dignity.

K

karl7

The other day, me and my boyfriend, who I love very much, were having a silly argument. He said something which I didn’t like and it upset me a little, but instead of saying I didn’t like what he said, I said “I hate you”. I didn’t mean it at all and I definitely do not hate him. We have a very good relationship and now I feel really bad. Is it normal to say things you don’t mean in the heat of the moment when you are low? Has this every happened to anyone else?
it certainly is the case that you say things you dont mean when depressed.

A

Alexander Ypsilantis

Former member
My wife used to say 'I hate you!' all the time when we first got married and were having a quarrel. It seems to be the ladies default line, just as a man will say 'Quit your bi---ing!'

Depression can promote such things, of course.

B

BrightPearl

Anger is just a response to a deeper emotion that you may be feeling. Although the person at the receiving end may not understand this in the moment. X

B

Barksul

Yes. It can cause you to burn bridges too. That's what I'm dealing with now.