• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Does depression make you feel stupid?

D

dawnofanewday

Recently, as my severe depression carries on, I feel like I am literally losing brain cells. I forget what I'm talking about halfway through a train of thought, I can't comprehend lots of talking, goes in one ear and out the other. I feel incapable of everyday tasks, and my brain feels slow as wading though mud. I feel like if I could afford to go to a doctor they'd say 'yeah your brain isn't working' or something. I don't know how I'm supposed to dig myself out of depression this deep without meds because it feels like my brain is broken. I take multivitamins and stuff to try and help but my diet is very poor. Anyone else dealt with this, if so what helps you have a clear head?

fragrant_violet

fragrant_violet

Recently, as my severe depression carries on, I feel like I am literally losing brain cells. I forget what I'm talking about halfway through a train of thought, I can't comprehend lots of talking, goes in one ear and out the other. I feel incapable of everyday tasks, and my brain feels slow as wading though mud. I feel like if I could afford to go to a doctor they'd say 'yeah your brain isn't working' or something. I don't know how I'm supposed to dig myself out of depression this deep without meds because it feels like my brain is broken. I take multivitamins and stuff to try and help but my diet is very poor. Anyone else dealt with this, if so what helps you have a clear head?

Yep this is completely normal for sufferers of depression.

Its scandalous you cant afford to see a doc. Are there any charities in the area? Im sure some organization will be able to help. Can you get someone to do it for you?

D

Dazed & Confused

Hi @dawnofanewday

Yes, I can relate to this. I find drinking lots of water helps. I also take high strength fish oil capsules for omega 3.

I don't do it as often as I used to, but I find that meditation and mindfulness practices are also helpful.

I also feel stupid when rude, ignorant people who don't understand mental illness stigmatize me and treat me as if I'm mentally retarded or I'm a child. This includes 'normal' people who don't have a mental illness and people who work in the mental health profession.

C

chargrillwon

Yeah depression can make you a bit cloudy for sure. I would say that is probably a relatively normal thing. I also do the fish oil omega 3 and multi vitamins and vitamin D.

sunlight is supposed to help if you’re lucky enough to have it

stevie_sloth

stevie_sloth

Recently, as my severe depression carries on, I feel like I am literally losing brain cells. I forget what I'm talking about halfway through a train of thought, I can't comprehend lots of talking, goes in one ear and out the other. I feel incapable of everyday tasks, and my brain feels slow as wading though mud.

I hear ya! This is SO me. 🌷