• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Does Depression Have A Purpose?

I

Ian Haines

I'm feeling low, tonight - it takes very little to knock me down, to be honest. It's deathly silent all around me, of course, as usual. I sometimes wonder if we have this depression and sickeningly low mood so often, and for so long, because we're "supposed to"...in some way.

If Nature wants us to be suffering from depression as some twisted form of natural development of all of us, why the Heck do some of us suffer so heavily - often far more than lots of other people do? I'm down here, now, and alone, as usual. I'm making words out of dots on a screen and I've no idea whether or not that even helps...I've not a clue.

Just...somebody's hand to hold mine while I sit, feeling this way would be nice, but there's...as usual...nobody here, and not even a single likely candidate.

Hands need holding! Hugs need doing! I need some friends, because I have none, right now. People have long forgotten what being a friend even means, so looking for friends is probably a senseless waste of time.

I'm thinking about starting a forum dedicated to lonely people. It won't be the first of its kind, either. I'm rambling, again.

Here comes the very next overnighter...the next graveyard shift, again!

Wow...I do so much love those! :BLAH:

M

ManDss

"Does Depression Have A Purpose?", no, depression is a consequence. Its like walk, fell down, and break a leg, does break a leg have a purpose?

J

JoeRipley

Sorry to hear you are feeling so low, I am also feeling very low myself tonight. I am fighting the urges to self harm, but it tough trying to keep it together. Ate you on any meds?

A

Alexander Ypsilantis

I've suffered from clinical depression since I was 12 and I'm 66 today. Had plenty of ups and downs, and some real deep downs over the decades.

Clinical depression emanates from a defect in the human brain, in my opinion. Depression and Anxiety are related issues-two sides of the same coin as we say. The human brain has evolved to anticipate potential problems and 'think our way through' them before the exist. All well and good, but the problem is that our brain doesn't know when to stop. That's what creates Anxiety issues.

Depression can be the net result of continual anxiety, it's the human mind signaling it can no longer cope with continual concerns. People with clinical depression have brains that take 'catastrophizing' and over-thinking to extreme levels. I'm a research engineer by profession, my career builds off of my strengths at problem anticipation/resolution. Problem is, when I can't turn that same analytical process off when I leave the workplace and go home at night-continual Anxiety and subsequent Depression.

So no, there is no 'purpose' to Depression-it's created by a condition in our brain structure that evolved to help mankind anticipate problems and plan ahead. Some of us just can't control it and turn it off when needed. People with strong analytical skills are often subject to Depression, not surprisingly.

C

Cinghiale

Sorry to hear you are feeling so low. Some people say it´s a signal what is trying to say something to us. I din´t realize what in my hole life.

mirrormaker

mirrormaker

I think depression has indeed a purpose. It's almost the same purpose as pain.
It indicates that something in our life is not going good and our brain sends chemicals that make us really uncomfortable with the situation for us to try to avoid it.

For example, if you burn your hand you will have terrible pain and your brain makes you so unconfortable that you learn that burning your hand is bad for your health

In a similar way, if for example you need money, you can't make friends, you have an uglyness problem or whatever, depression puts you in an uncomfortable state of mind pressing you to make money, to make friends, to not be ugly and all the things that, trough the human evolution, the brain has considered optimal for reproducing and surviving.

But the problem lyes in that being uncomfortable does not solve the problem the same way that the pain of your burn does not heal your hand. And real problems are often really hard to solve or accept.

Life is so hard sometimes. But we are all here supporting each other. Be happy today because me, a stranger, really wants you to feel better, Ian Haines.
I really want you all to feel better

I

Ian Haines

I think depression has indeed a purpose. It's almost the same purpose as pain.
It indicates that something in our life is not going good and our brain sends chemicals that make us really uncomfortable with the situation for us to try to avoid it.

For example, if you burn your hand you will have terrible pain and your brain makes you so unconfortable that you learn that burning your hand is bad for your health

In a similar way, if for example you need money, you can't make friends, you have an uglyness problem or whatever, depression puts you in an uncomfortable state of mind pressing you to make money, to make friends, to not be ugly and all the things that, trough the human evolution, the brain has considered optimal for reproducing and surviving.

But the problem lyes in that being uncomfortable does not solve the problem the same way that the pain of your burn does not heal your hand. And real problems are often really hard to solve or accept.

Life is so hard sometimes. But we are all here supporting each other. Be happy today because me, a stranger, really wants you to feel better, Ian Haines.
I really want you all to feel better
That was bloody wonderful, actually, MM! Thanks, for that!

S

SadRainbow

There are also a couple of theories of evolutionary benefits to depression but I'm not convinced.

Depression seems to be a very unhelpful thing to have but I suppose in at least some circumstances it could be beneficial to have no choice but to rest for a few weeks/months.

Capt Hooke

Capt Hooke

Yes, there's an argument that says that if it didn't serve a purpose, it would have "evolved out." But there are many physical conditions which serve no purpose but which persist. Considering how widespread depression is, I don't believe that the physicians have done much of a job in understanding it. Of course, they are very adept at making up excuses; I don't expect to see much progress in my lifetime.