Does depression effect the liver?

emzangelwings

emzangelwings

I know stress can cause problems with immunity and the liver and I've read on the internet that liver problems can cause depression but can depression cause the liver problems?

S

SimDon

From what I've heard (and someone correct me if I'm wrong, since I'm not entirely sure either! :) ) I suppose it depends on what kind of depression it is. If your stressed - it causes your body to react as if your stressed - ie, overly-awake when you should be tired, a constant nagging at the back of your head / stiff shoulders... This isn't exactly very good for any of your organs. But they're resilant - so don't worry too much about them.
If you're severely depressed, and feeling constantly down - your heartbeat can be quite low - and that could also cause heart problems in the long-run.
So I'm, guessing here, that depression can cause liver problems... If they're as bad as stress though, I don't know :(

S

SuzeeJ

I think that depression can put the bodys energy systems out of whack. If you receive an acupuncture treatment for depression they will often try to work on the liver meridian. Also if your sleeping is affected by depression the liver can start to work less efficiently (when you wake up the liver releases blood and you feel awake) so this can make you feel sluggish and your sleep rhythm can change.
So overall I would suggest exercise to help with blood circulation and help the liver. Also if your sleep is affected sunlight helps early in the morning (if you cant get to sleep) or late in day (if you wake early) to reset the body clock. Acupuncture or massage helps the energetic systems of the body which helps the liver. Yoga helps with this too. Also drink lots of water, avoid sugar :)