• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Does Depression Cause Apathy/Low Motivation?

G

Gabzgrl89

I have been recently re-assessed for a diagnosis of Schizophrenia. I have been told by my psychiatrist for the past year or more that I have no evidence of Schizophrenia, and was labelled with Bipolar. But in the past two months I came clean that I have had symptoms and diagnosis of Schizophrenia in the past, and that I don't really experience mood swings or anything like Bipolar. I've actually had Schizophrenia in remission for a few years. I also have been dealing with substance use issues, and I'm clean and determined to stay sober.

I have trouble describing symptoms. I feel no energy or motivation. But I don't feel that darkness that is what depression is like. I cry more than laugh, I am not happy without coffee or something to stimulate it. While I try really hard to feel joy, it's been a struggle to feel anything. I just started Wellbutrin XL. I'm hoping this will lift the energy fog. But I am also nervous about it bringing out more symptoms again. I have not had much luck with anti-depressants that altered my mood and personality and usually made it worse, hence the prior Bipolar 1 diagnosis.

I am not even sure what the difference is between Bipolar 1 and Schizophrenia with depression.

And on the flip side, I sometimes wonder if the symptoms would go away if I got off the medication and got healthier. My symptoms have been in remission. I do not think I would get worse, but everyone has scared me into staying on medicine so that the symptoms don't return. So that's where I'm at. I am fairly happy with it though right now.
Has anyone ever considered that schizophrenia could be an extension of untreated major depression? I have heard the term psychotic depression. I know more about schizophrenia than have symptoms of it. I love to research stuff online and I educated myself enough that I should be able to know the difference between a delusion and reality.

One slightly uncomfortable issue is age, and that I'll probably have a very difficult midlife if I don't continue treatment to prevent any issues in the future. So I'm on medicine to PREVENT symptoms not to treat them. I find it a little hard to deal with because I don't want to be on medicine. But my mom also has had a history of intense depression and now has schizophrenia, and she would also refuse medications to help her if it weren't for her being on a monthly injection as opposed to being expected to take pills every day.
One
aep mys c f s

S

Silas1066

Yes it does. There are days when I don't want to do anything, including things that I normally enjoy doing. I also feel like I can't accomplish anything.

D

DL1

What a wonderful post so insightful.
When my mood swings /depression appears hell I feel so overwhelmed by my internal thought.i m disconnected from energies of life.
I am in remission taking my medication and working so for me that's the other side. So please God you can with help find your path with patience it took me a year.

I

iamnotmad

I think medication also causes apathy - Google antidepressant apathy!