• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Does depression affect our judgment?

KittyCat92

KittyCat92

I’m just having a think..

More specifically when you are actually still self aware?

I am very aware of how I feel and what I think and also I guess what I’m doing.

Lapses in judgement make us human right?

NoNameRequired

NoNameRequired

Yes, at least it affects mine. Even when I am self aware, my perception of things become so clouded that nothing makes sense.

KittyCat92

KittyCat92

I feel like I agree with that but also not in the sense of when things are clouded I still feel aware.

I’m asking myself the question of am I making these decisions because I actually want to or is it because of my depression?

24thMAU

24thMAU

Definitely. Depression effects so much of our lives, it is hard to quantify. In fact, I don't think even the medical professional have the full idea of effects of depression.

KittyCat92

KittyCat92

It’s hard to distinguish between which decisions I’m making and which are made by that other part of me, the illness. If that makes any sense?

J

justabloke

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I’m just having a think..

More specifically when you are actually still self aware?

I am very aware of how I feel and what I think and also I guess what I’m doing.

Lapses in judgement make us human right?
I believe so. I've done things that I regret while depressed (leaving jobs etc.). Things are always a mess afterward and it is more difficult to pick up the bits.

K

Keesha

Of course it affects our judgments. It affects every single thing we think about.

KittyCat92

KittyCat92

I believe so. I've done things that I regret while depressed (leaving jobs etc.). Things are always a mess afterward and it is more difficult to pick up the bits.
Yeah I understand you. Some things I’m not even sure if I even regret though to be honest 🤷🏻‍♀️

KittyCat92

KittyCat92

Of course it affects our judgments. It affects every single thing we think about.
Would I still think the same things if I didn’t have depression? Or am I just going down a rabbit hole right now?

K

Keesha

Would I still think the same things if I didn’t have depression? Or am I just going down a rabbit hole right now?
I really don’t know how you’d think since I have my brain and you have yours BUT from my own experience with depression, my thoughts change drastically while depressed as well as my thought patterns so it’s easier to trip into that deep black void ( rabbit hole ) and not even care. That’s the very danger of depression , in my opinion.

J

justabloke

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Yeah I understand you. Some things I’m not even sure if I even regret though to be honest 🤷🏻‍♀️
I've quite a few things I regret. But then, would things have worked out differently anyway? I've tried sticking at a job that was very stressful to me, and that ended badly. I've tried leaving as soon as I start to feel stressed out and that ended badly too. So all options might be bad. In that case should I regret something? It is all complicated.

KittyCat92

KittyCat92

I really don’t know how you’d think since I have my brain and you have yours BUT from my own experience with depression, my thoughts change drastically while depressed as well as my thought patterns so it’s easier to trip into that deep black void ( rabbit hole ) and not even care. That’s the very danger of depression , in my opinion.
I don’t really remember a time before depression in terms of a change in the way I think, I just can’t differentiate between the two.

KittyCat92

KittyCat92

I've quite a few things I regret. But then, would things have worked out differently anyway? I've tried sticking at a job that was very stressful to me, and that ended badly. I've tried leaving as soon as I start to feel stressed out and that ended badly too. So all options might be bad. In that case should I regret something? It is all complicated.
I guess we’ll never know if things would have turned out for better or worse had it not happened the way it did.

K

Keesha

I don’t really remember a time before depression in terms of a change in the way I think, I just can’t differentiate between the two.
That’s very sad. I sincerely feel for you. Since I’m bipolar, i at least get a taste of the overly happy side life has to offer. Of course some of that is scary but it at least gives me a break from that mundane black hole. The only piece of info I can offer is :

- to eat a balanced wholesome diet
- get regular exercise ( walk outside every morning - best advice for me )
- make your bed everyday ( it starts your day off right )
- try to do one productive thing each day so you can feel a sense of accomplishment
- find a good book to read
- find a hobby even if it’s colouring in a colouring book. Doing something gives your mind a break from negative thought patterns . Going for walks outside gives you fresh air and something for you to look at and think about. Once again, distracting your mind from the same ole,’ same ole.’

It may sounds corny but it’s helped me through several clinical depressions

Sometimes change can give you a whole new perspective. I wish you the best.
Depression truly sucks.