• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Does depression affect our ability to think?

N

Nukelavee

Yeah - just see if it helps you get your thoughts organized and clears your mind of teh dream.

Eating is good. I have low blood pressure, so I get lightheaded a lot, like I feel about ready to pass out. Sometimes, it feels like dissociating, kinda. So, I'm kind of used to being dissociated off and on.

I'm glad you're actively trying things to feel better - that's a really good sign. Sooner or later this is going to become something you can easily manage.

Catty5

Catty5

@Nukelavee

Thank you for your help
I’m fighting against my fear and anxiety
Depression caused me “mental = cognitive impairment very badly this time.
My BP is low too. The first thing I do in the morning is eating some bread or cookies.

Catty5

Catty5

On Prozac for 14 weeks. TMS 24 sessions. My mood isn’t so bottom anymore but my brain is still fighting for regaining cognitive and perceptive equilibrium. I know neuroscience well. I know the brain recovery is slow. But i’m stil scared to death wondering if my brain will be back or not.

N

Nukelavee

It will come back. Part of the issue is that it's gradual enough you can't see a clear line between before and after. Like you said, it takes time. And, to a point, pushing ourselves to think in a more productive way. We often don't realize our capabilities have expanded, until we push teh limits. Realizing you are losing your "sharpness" is kinda terrifying, and like physically injuring yourself, results in "favouring" that part of you, taking it easy to avoid pain. In this case, it's the emotional distress caused by realizing we can't do what we used to, we feel like we've lost part of ourselves. Running up against a hard limit that didn't used to exist is a harsh reality.

So, we try to avoid that feeling by not butting into the limit. But, that means that we don't realize teh limit has been pushed back. That is, the potential for more productive thought is overlooked.

For me, that feeling less intelligent and capable of thinking came reading a book, "Blindsight". It's scifi, heavbily rooted in neurology and psychology. Lots of stuff on various cognitive models and issues, and an exploration of teh differnece between intelligence, and self-awareness. Very cool book - but most of it made no sense to me. A Few years later, I tried to re-read it, and the sequel, "Echophraxia", and... I still don't get them, entirely. But I know parts I couldn't fathom actually made sense.

did that make sense?

Catty5

Catty5

@Nukelavee

Thank you for reaching out . I woke up with a dream of food. Not so bad. Now I got up to let my cats out to a patio. I felt so confused and dissociated...so scare right now.

Catty5

Catty5

I feel so agitated and confused with horrible feelings. Dissociated and i cannot catch reality well.

I took a bath then ate a little bit but it didn’t calm me down. I have no idea what’s going on in my head. Just scared to death.....

I’m just sitting on the floor with cats. I almost went to ER but I know they’ll do nothing to mentally ill people. I don’r need Ativan.

N

Nukelavee

Are you feeling really anxious?

Remember the breathing exercise to reduce the anxiety. It will also help center you and reduce the dissociation.

Just breath in and out slowly, don't think, just breath until you feel calmer and more grounded.

I know it's hard. I was off balance all yesterday because of my dream. Watched TV all evening (which I rarely do), and had to keep forcing myself to relax. That's all we can do sometimes, work at getting centred. Over and over.

Catty5

Catty5

@Nukelavee

Thank you for your friendship to help me. I’m not so anxious? and not so depressed. It’s my inability to connect myself to reality even if I’m not disoriented. Really incapable brain.

Sorry to hear your realistic drram bothered you all day long.