• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Does depression affect our ability to think?

Catty5

Catty5

Hello everyone

I’m severely depressed. I cannot think about things as I used to. I’m scared 😱

C

Coolname

Hi!

It is just the depression messing with you as it does in so many ways. It will pass, as all things must.

Catty5

Catty5

Hi!
It is just the depression messing with you as it does in so many ways. It will pass, as all things must.
Hi

Thank you for reaching out
I truly hope so. I chose Prozac since a research said “it improves cognition”.....

C

Coolname

Prozac or at least its generic, fluoxetine, is my go to drug. It has helped me lots over the years, I hope it does the same for you. Not a magic happy pill, they don't exist, but it does keep the worst of the darkness at bay, I suppose that helps me to think more clearly.

Catty5

Catty5

Prozac or at least its generic, fluoxetine, is my go to drug. It has helped me lots over the years, I hope it does the same for you. Not a magic happy pill, they don't exist, but it does keep the worst of the darkness at bay, I suppose that helps me to think more clearly.
Hi
It sounds so good to hear Fluoxetine has been helping you. It was my first antidepressant that worked well at that time. But the next psychiatrist changed it to Lexapro that i’ve never liked it.

S

Sunny2020

Hello everyone

I’m severely depressed. I cannot think about things as I used to. I’m scared 😱

Yes Catty, depression can do that. I remember when I was very bad I could not hold a positive thought, even for a second. But don't forget this is depression talking and not you. Don't believe what brain is telling you when your are depressed.

Catty5

Catty5

@Sunny2020

I agree....my brain doesn’t produce anything good. I’m fighting depression, dissociation, anxiety and cognitive impairment. I’m in such a bad condition right now. sometimes I want to cry. But crying doesn’t help.

S

Sunny2020

How is dissociation, what exactly do you feel, if you don't mind asking?

I feel like crying but I can't, my emotions are strong and i can't release them......I feel them in the middle of my chest, like I can't breath.Sometimes I want to scream, but instead I freeze.

Catty5

Catty5

@Sunny2020

Antidepressants makes us numb.... I cannot cry either. Med makes us emotionless

My dissociation is horrible. I cannot perceive my body. I know i’m Here but I cannot feel I have a body. IlVery scary.

N

Nukelavee

Think of your mind as your computer. You know how, the more things you have running, even in the background, the slower your computer does things? Our brain is similar. Anxiety and depression take up so much processing, it slows us down.

Also - thinking is a bit like working out. The less you actively try to think, the harder it is to keep the habit of thinking.

So, we need to keep our minds active. It's the same thing as older people doing the daily crosswords and such, to keep themselves sharp.

It doesn't help our depression that feeling stupid, or slow, feeds into our negative thoughts.

The good news is it will pass, if you start actively thinking about stuff.

Catty5

Catty5

@Nukelavee

Hi

I know lowering the cognitive ability is a part of depressive symptoms....so sad. I did read a research... some SSRIs didn’t help improve our cognitive ability. Then I found a research that said Prozac improved it even if it was slightly (i’m a research maniac ?). I discussed it with a hospital pharmacist before requesting to change my med this time. Their pharmacist knew Prozac helps improve cognition somewhat.

Yes you’re right.... we have to try to keep our mind active. Less use, lower the function?
Yes feeling “ stupid” makes me more depressed.

How’s your mural paint going?

By the way, I had a vivid dream....I went to a salon to have my hair cut. Not a nightmare.,,.thank God.
But I’m confused and dissociated as usual right now.

N

Nukelavee

I had a vivid dream about helping my sister make a pool table sized lasagna.

Just doing the rough sketches for the mural so far, likely be a few weeks before I get to putting it on the wall.

Sooner or later we'll find a trick that helps you get anchored after you wake up. I used to play a little computer game I found online while I woke up. Nothing complicated, just a matching type game like candy crush that helped my mind focus and pushed the dreams back.

Catty5

Catty5

A pool table sized huge lasagna.... dreams are funny. I studied a bit of dream analysis before. It was interesting.

In my dream, they did a good job.
At least it wasn’t a nightmare. I’m dissociated as usual but not so confused.

I took a bath to calm down then had a breakfast, 3 slices of bread with butter and honey, and oranges.

Yes I have 3 games on my iPhone. Simple matching and crash games. I play to kill my time. Ok i’ll Play when I had a nightmare.