• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Does deppression affect your work?

A

avinash8340

I think it does. MY legal work is affected. I DONT feel like working. my legal practice is declining. my clients are going away from me as they feel i dont talk pro perlly with them. i wish i had joined some job. it would have given some regular income for me

Last edited:
Jo1760

Jo1760

I feel like my bout of depression is quickly ruining my career. I know that may sound a little dramatic but if I think for example a year ago, i was stressed, i could feel the low period descend, but at work I remained in control. I found it hard and although I felt exhausted I was able to cope, now its almost the complete opposite. I can't concentrate on anything, my mind wanders far too much and I spend a huge amount of time thinking about how I am feeling, all the bad things I feel rather than the work I should be concentrating on.

I really feel my standards have slipped terribly and I can't deal with the day to day problems that arise within a work place, let alone when something major happens.

I know everyone is different but that is generally how I am feeling work wise at the moment.

A

Ainsworth

it did, so i decreased my hours and now only work afew hours a couple of days a week. they didnt like it much but i needed to do it for me.

A

avinash8340

FOR men work getting affected is worst thing. It affects their carear prospects and ego problem. Lack of money makes living tough particullarly paying medical bills. And social security is not there in every place. this further leads to negative thoughts and further in to deep depression

M

Mad Hatter

Founding Member
It does affect my work and there are days where I just have to force myself in. As the company I work for doesn't pay sick pay and the wages are so s**t I have no choice. By the way I am a classroom assistant/support worker working with people with mental health problems and/or learning difficulties. Says it all really when most of them are getting more benefit than I get wages. Bitter, twisted and cynical- you bet.

L

lilyc25

It is deffinitly affecting my work. I often cry at work- I cannot avoid it. My mood swings are so bad that I have been refused a promotion as i am not "displaying the behaviours they would expect" there is nothing I an do to help this- i have had 18 months of CBT and am on meds. What more can I do?!?!

A

Ainsworth

well update on me and work :(

work was informed of my 'depression' as it being called atm, havent gone in this week and wont be in next week. i have heard nothing from them at all, which in one way im glad about and in another i think b*****s for not caring about anything apart from work production and not their employees, especially with the job i do.

uncaring or what :(

L

lilyc25

I know how you feel. I work for a Health Insurance company and they couldnt care less about their employees health.

Hang in there.

A

Ainsworth

hey lily

dont think i care atm, in a few weeks i will but not now, just want to be well again, this time ive been ill for 5 months and hid it well from them. they did know some of the background but asked once if it was anything to do with work and my ability to work, i said no, end of subject as i cant talk openly about me being vulnerable :oops:

did cut my hours down but now cant face it all.

how can i be responsible for others when i cant be responsible for my own wellbeing :unsure:

Rorschach

Rorschach

Founding Member
I walked out of my job a month ago. To do with depression, perhaps. To do with it BEING depressing, certainly. People undiagnosed with mental illness are on some scale of sociopathy, if anyone is interested in how people's actions shrink the synapses (i.e. result in depressive symptoms), let me know and I'll have a minor rant!!!

A

Ainsworth

oh i like reading a good rant and i have a spare day of not doing anything

write it up :popcorn:

Rorschach

Rorschach

Founding Member
Ok I'll give you a couple of examples.

I'll start with a 'nice' one, one that probably wasn't malicious, but was UBER patronising!!!!

Part of my job could entail fixing minor items around the office. So this day one of the antislip strips on the edge of a stair had come loose. My job was basically to secure it so nobody slipped while coming down the stairs. So there I am, tape in hand in the stairwell. A 'colleague' passes, stops, and says 'You're doing a really good job there Rorschach'. Really, why thank you, it's really a very demanding task...tw*t!!!

Another...?

I don't get in till the afternoon. So before I arrive some people were prepping for a move in the office. They filled a recycling bin with journals etc. that were no longer needed. Going to their manager, they said 'We've filled the bin, what should we do with our waste paper now?' At this point the manager should have contacted our dept. (admin) and had someone deal with it, but knowing that I would be in later said to their staff. 'Oh throw it on the floor, it will get tidied up later'. Post PM and three wheelie bins later it was. Tw*ts!!!

And my particular favourite...

The staff refuse to leave the meeting rooms as they find them for the next team, often they literally couldn't leave the chairs etc in a more messy state for their colleagues. So I try and straighten the rooms if I'm passing. So we have a training room, and I'd tidy it, subsequently IT would come down for the AV kit (projector), and move two chairs to access the kit, then not put the chairs back. Really a very minor detail, but consistently it starts to grate. So this went on day after day for months, the same chairs every day. You can't help but wonder why someone would come into a room which had obviously been tidied, and just pull out two chairs to access kit, then not put them back. You can be damn sure if I undid anyone else's work consistently there would be complaints. So I let it ride for about 3 months, I'd pass by again and just straighten the chairs again. That's not to say it didn't irritate me to varying degrees, everyday, same thing, same chairs. I began to infer motivation by the specific member of staff, that at some level he was doing it to piss me off, but disregarded this train of thought as irrational. So on and on it went. Suddenly I had an epiphany; I know how to stop this winding me up, I'll just tidy the room, and leave the two chairs!!! Brilliant, simple solution. They come in, take the kit, I come back, and put the two chairs straight, simples. So that's exactly what I did. Except I came back and found for the first time ever, literally the first time in months, they decided to move the two chairs from the opposite side of the table, I sh*t you not!!! Some dark subconscious sh*t going on in that clown's psyche.

With over 200 people in the company, 365 days in a year (not all of them work days), you can imagine how often this kind of stuff happened. If each person was 'thoughtless' (and by saying that I'm giving them the serious benefit of the doubt!!!) once a year, it would basically happen everyday. Tw*ts.

Rant done.

A

Ainsworth

I know how to stop this winding me up, I'll just tidy the room, and leave the two chairs!!! Brilliant, simple solution. They come in, take the kit, I come back, and put the two chairs straight, simples. So that's exactly what I did. Except I came back and found for the first time ever, literally the first time in months, they decided to move the two chairs from the opposite side of the table, I sh*t you not!!! Some dark subconscious sh*t going on in that clown's psyche.
so that was done on purpose then to wind you up! (or thats what i would of thought but im paranoid) i would of lost it and lost my job at that point if i thought someone had done something because they think people are beneath them or dont think enough to appreciate anothers work, i think its called having their head up there arse

i do a very good 'walk out' from jobs. have down to a fine art now. :LOL:

Rorschach

Rorschach

Founding Member
It's very hard to see it as anything else. Of course I'm not claiming that it was conscious for the individual, but as they say (usually referring to codified legislation) 'ignorance isn't an excuse'.

A

Ainsworth

in my job i have atm (may not have it much longer) they didnt tell me i was filling in a mileage sheet wrongly for 5 months, when they finally told me they said they had noticed a while back and i couldnt claim any of it back, yet they were claiming for the mileage i'l done from elsewhere but not giving it to me. i was very disappointed at that :(

and now they havent even contacted me i dont feel like going back, feel quite abandoned really :(