• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Does council take old broken furniture from the 3rd floor council flat, no lift available

K

Kailash

My brother who is suffering from schizophrenia is living in council flat for a long time. His fridge was broken and the bed has collapsed. Past one week he is sleeping on the floor using his old matters. He is in high dose of insulin. I am not living in uk. I let the case manager and care coordinator knows. And I was told to order the fridge with the bed. And I did. Under the counter Fridge has arrived, and the bed is going to come in a cuple of days.
Whom can I asked to remove the old broken bed and the mini fridge and assemble the new fridge.
Who is responsible for the stove, and the washing machine if it get out of order. Who can check if there is a gas leak.
There is a constant loud chipping sound comes from the fire alarm, though my brother does not smoke. Who should we contact to stop the loud noise.
My brother engaged in a lot of self talk and switched off most of the time. He also values his indipendancy and walk around the Nabhour hood, and the community like him. Rather than constant battle with the care, we were wondering if he can live in a facility which let him go out to enjoy his freedom.
GP also suggested a multi desiplinery complex housing. We don't know what it is. If you have any information on this please share. Kindly let me know your thought in this.

Mayflower7

Mayflower7

Hi,
Does he have a social worker? In multi-disciplinary housing there is 24/ hr care staff who look after the clients needs.
Hope this helps.

K

Kailash

He has, but the social worker is brushing off

Funnyday

Funnyday

The smoke detector could be a flat battery.

N

Nukelavee

The smoke detector could be a flat battery.
Yup, replacing th ebattery often fixes that issue.

I don't have any other concrete advice, but - you are a good sibling for watching out for your brother.

K

Kailash

I think so. It is at the roof. I asked for a personal alarm for my brother during the Covid, and alarm installers came and we asked to fix the fire alarm. And they did nothing and left.
If there is no one to monitor some people fall in to the crack. I wish if I can find an advacasy to monitor my brother's affairs would be very helpful. I installed a Cam in his living room with his consent and we were able to communicate, but it is not enough to run the show. It is very painful to watch him isolated and almost abandoned. And I had to coordinate things from across the ocean.

L

Lab rat

If it were me, I would chuck the old furniture out the window, and yes, that statement does include the fridge. The council will move it then!