• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Does bipolar make you change your personality?

S

SweetBipolar

I don’t know what is wrong with me other than I know I have bipolar 1. I go from up
And down moods. Having a extremely low self esteem to sometimes mild.

I also lose interest in things that I liked before and have to avoid certain things.

I get times where I am so scared and paranoid. That I can’t watch certain things/listen to certain music Or wayxh I get easily triggered by small things

I feel that I never know what to expect. I get highly overly sensitive to loud noise or tone of voice that might make me seem someone is mad at me.
It is more depression than mania.
I don’t know if this is common for bipolar or not.
I feel like I lose my mind. I get so lost in my mind that I can’t focus on reality sometimes.

There is a lot of fear and paranoia. Also questioning my existence and thinking weird things.
Feeling so sad that life is just sad and tragic.
But sometimes I feel positive and that life can be peaceful.
It’s just that out of nowhere this can all change and it scares me.

I don’t know if this is changing personality or moods.

Feeling unstable and not able to function normally. Feeling out of place around people and feeling like a robot or unnatural.

JessisMe

JessisMe

For me when I am depressed I get very low. I withdraw from social relations. My self care goes down. I have very few facial expressions. When I am manic I have lots of projects going. I am enthusiastic and socially engaging. I am funny and have a great.sense of humor. I get out a lot, tend to buy a bunch of junk I don’t need and can get into trouble due to my increased energetic state. Both are very different but both are me. Just in two different channels. I hope this makes sense.

calypso

calypso

Admin
I don't believe it changes your baseline personality but it can certainly feel like that at times. The depression arc is awful and can feel so painful. People don't really understand who haven't been through it. I go from highs to lows in the twinkling of an eye and then stay low for months at a time. What have you noticed that makes you ask the question?

Zana

Zana

This disorder causes a lot of stress (and can be caused and worsened by it), and stress definitely can change you as a person. We all change as we go through life but I know exactly what you are feeling as I have been wondering recently who I even am and how my issues make me who I am. It's a tough question and probably one that must be answered on an individual basis. But it is a normal question!

Hope this helps and God bless.

S

SweetBipolar

I don't believe it changes your baseline personality but it can certainly feel like that at times. The depression arc is awful and can feel so painful. People don't really understand who haven't been through it. I go from highs to lows in the twinkling of an eye and then stay low for months at a time. What have you noticed that makes you ask the question?
I notice how I can feel
Fine and confident and then out of nowhere I am paranoid. Like my mind completely changed and I feel unstable. Like part of me knows I shouldn’t be paranoid but it just spirals out of control.

calypso

calypso

Admin
That must be quite scary for you. Have you ever talked to anyone about it? It sounds as though you might need to think about some counselling to see if they can help. Does anything trigger you to feel this way?