• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Does bipolar disorder affect cognitive and problem solving abilities?

P

phoenixBird

Greetings you guys, I've been diagnosed with bipolar disorder 5 years ago. Over this period of time, I've noticed that I'm getting slower and less sharp. I remember my college years when I used to grasp the most complicated ideas and concepts in a breeze. But now it seems like I'm having difficulties writing the simplest lines of code. Also, I feel like I'm losing my fluency in English. Does bipolar disorder have anything to do with that?

Passionflower

Passionflower

Are you on any medications?.Meds cause cognitive issues especially antipsychotics.

P

phoenixBird

Are you on any medications?.Meds cause cognitive issues especially antipsychotics.
I've never thought of that! I'm not sure you'd recognize the meds, but I'm taking Seroxat and Ralvic, they do cause sleepyness and drowziness

Passionflower

Passionflower

I know seroxat is an antidepressant, but I'm not sure about Ralvic.

C

celticlass

Well medications can impact on the brain so we need to think carefully about what we are taking. I think it is possible also that untreated bipolar disorder could eventually have an impact physiologically on the brain. The continued highs and lows and repetitive ways of thinking and acted will translate into changes in neurotransmitters etc. I think we, if we know this, can take some steps to protect our brains but that is just my view.

C

cryingwolf

Hi,

I share your experience. I also struggle with cognitive impairment (I have issues reading, writing, processing new information, memory issues, solving puzzles) and I feel like my fine motor skills deteriorate (I drop things, I stumble, I spill drinks and food on myself). This is almost always associated with brain fog that comes with depressive periods. According to my own research, there indeed might be a link between cognitive issues and bipolar disorder. I recommend Googling and reading some articles on it. Best of luck!

T

toto

It's from the drugs. I have schizoaffective, but I manage to control myself without drugs most of the time. One of the stimuli that I can handle if something is mentally based is that I did an IQ test and it was over 120. I also took a B1 in German and had more hours until the exam. I took it in advance. What I did was do a psychoanalysis and I know what causes psychosis. I try to go to bed at the same time. Your loved ones should avoid conflicts.

T

toto

Besides, during psychosis I am very creative. I draw / play the guitar, I write poems. In one of the psychoses / mania, I learned to sew on a machine. I painted the walls at home, made a cabinets of old boards.

Zana

Zana

I've been exactly the same over the past few months. My memory and ability to concentrate inparticular have flown out the window with bells on. Critical and logical thinking is about all that's left but that is enough to get by. Still, tasks that would have taken me minutes 2 years ago currently take me days (which makes me feel busy all the time!).

I attribute this to the brain needing some time to mend after being battered by the up-down-UP-down cycle. Maybe sometimes we need to slowly retrain ourselves in some cognitive aspects, just like you'd need to learn to walk properly again after major leg damage, for example.

J

Jmayfai_r

My memory is very bad. I did not consider the drugs. I thought it was mostly from my last major depressive state. I have forgotten the names of all my co-workers whom I have known for 20 years. I have been off work for a while and I forgot how to perform my job. This is all very bad. I always try to get my doctor to reduce my meds but he does it slowly if at all. Maybe I will start trying harder with him.

A

ash_whole

Fess up about alcohol and other drug use, such as cannabis. Also fess up about excessive screen time, lack of exercise, poor diet and lack of organic social contacts.

That is where most peoples' brain fog is coming from.

C

celticlass

We're not talking 'brain fog' but actual cognitive decline. Yes I am a recovered alcoholic so that will have made an impact. I was on Amisulpride for 5 years without necessary blood checks being made. when they were I had to stop taking it. Likewise psychiatrist freaking out when he heard I was experiencing memory problems because he knew that epileptic patients were having real issues with their memory due to Topiramate. With the exception of maybe screen time, the other factors you mention are well known to many with bipolar disorder - too depressed to cook and exercise and masses of social anxiety making it hard to make and keep friends.

A

ash_whole

There is natural ageing and people are ageing quicker because people have been exposed for years to a dehumanising and polluted environment. So loss of memory is a pain in the ass but it is going to be experienced sooner, for all sorts of reason, but for bipolars, probably moreso because of the years and years of self-abuse.

There are ways to improve the memory. Basically takes self-discipline to rely solely on yourself to push your brain.

Most people get idle and prefer to rely on memory-assistive tech.

Personally if I forget, well, ah well. maybe it was for the best.

But yeah... human contact... otr lack of it... you can almost hear the brain cells screaming as they perish.

C

celticlass

There is natural ageing and people are ageing quicker because people have been exposed for years to a dehumanising and polluted environment. So loss of memory is a pain in the ass but it is going to be experienced sooner, for all sorts of reason, but for bipolars, probably moreso because of the years and years of self-abuse.

There are ways to improve the memory. Basically takes self-discipline to rely solely on yourself to push your brain.

Most people get idle and prefer to rely on memory-assistive tech.

Personally if I forget, well, ah well. maybe it was for the best.

But yeah... human contact... otr lack of it... you can almost hear the brain cells screaming as they perish.
Oh I could not possibly agree people are ageing quicker. i think most people with bipolar disorder have to struggle extremely hard to deal with the effects of a very serious illness. And on that note I will say goodnight all.

A

ash_whole

You say serious illness. I say brain damage.

Hope you sleep well.