• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Does anyone...

H

Han2403

...feel like a little child? I don't mean not feeling your age but actually feeling like you are a child in an adult's body?

I feel like this but have only clicked today. I've google it & found this which I can relate to..

http://m.psychologytoday.com/blog/evolution-the-self/200812/the-i-feel-child-syndrome

I thought it was interesting. I couldn't find any experiences of this apart from people who were much younger than me or who had lived sheltered lives. I'm 35 and I've not lived a sheltered life. I'm independent & have lots of life experience so am wondering why I feel like a silly little girl still?

I will be discussing more with my counsellor next week, was just interested to find out if anyone else feels this way?

T

tentgirl

Hi sweetpea

All the time. I could swear that I am 17 in my head and i haven't yet entered adulthood. I feel like a teenager with a responsible job and a mortgage. I am 39 and I see other people my age and think that they look grown up whereas I am like a kid, seeking people's approval, etc. I think feeling like a kid links to anorexia for me but i sometimes wish that I could make my head grow up.

Can't tell you how 'me' your post sounded
Love and hugs
Xx

O

onestepbehind

i often feel like i'm not a grown up i find it hard refering to myself as a women and dont think of myself as a real adult. i put this down to thinking back to my actual childhood and thinking that adults know everything seem to "know what to do" how to be/act. and now that i am technically of adult age and i dont know everyrhing or what i'm doing etc it makes me still feel like a child. i dont know if this is anything like what your talking about but youve helped me to understand that about myself ive never though about this before thankyou :)

H

Han2403

Thanks Sarah..we can be kiddies together!!

I'm not sure how old I feel inside, maybe 8! I'm just finding it interesting to think about. Certain things fit into place the more I ponder it.

I'm wondering how I can get my head to grow up..I will let you know if I find out! xx

H

Han2403

Onestepbehind - thanks for your reply. This is sort of what I feel like except I know that I know how to do things, most of the time I'm a bit of a know it all if the truth be told :) I've done lots and achieved lots but it doesn't tally with what I feel inside.

I deffo don't feel like a woman and even using that term for myself actually makes me feel uncomfortable. Aaargh, I've opened a can of worms!!! x

T

tentgirl

Agree with both of you. I detest the word 'woman' and want to be referred to as a girl. I was watching Claire Balding who's two years older than me and I think that she's mature, competent, coherent, successful and I am nothing like that. I have difficulties seeing people my age who look like adults and computing my chronological age cos I am 17 mentally. Probably why I love working with teenagers cos I am one of them Xx

T

Topcat

Yes!
I often feel small, I mean literally, like when I'm walking around outside the ground seems really close & I have a real sense of how small I am.
And I have 4 kids, but I'm amazed I've been 'allowed' to! I have no idea what I'm doing as a parent. I find the responsibility overwhelming & struggle quite a bit (my perfectionist issues don't help).
I also feel like I ought to be pleasing people all the time, and want praise & reassurance that I'm doing things right even though I'm sure I must be capable.
People always think I'm younger than I am which I often think is the 'younger me' other people can actually see.
A horrible example was a couple of months back, my husband wanted to have sex, so foreplay was in action, but I just lay there frozen. I felt like a child who didn't know what to do just letting things happen so I didn't upset him. It was awful! I was so glad he noticed something was wrong & stopped. (then I felt guilty for letting him down, aaaarrggh!)

XX

T

tentgirl

I can relate to all of that Topcat. People say that I don't look my age but I only started wearing makeup about 2 years ago cos I didn't feel like an adult who would be expected to wear it.... but people compliment me on my amazing skin that hasn't been ruined by makeup which makes me look younger. My children are taller than me now which I like cos I feel looked after. I do wonder if I'll finally be free of anorexia once I embrace adulthood. I don't know. Literally about to go into my eating disorder group so I might raise this as a topic. Would be interesting to get the other girls' take on it - and yes, we're all in our 30s, 40s and 60s x