• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Does anyone???...........

irishmam

irishmam

Founding Member
Does anyone else find it really hard to open up about how they are really feeling???

I find it so hard, there are certain things that I need to my partner and my Gp that relate to my depression etc but for some reason I just can't. I don't know if I feel ashamed or guilty or what but all I do know is that I have got to soon because it is eating me up inside.

Any advice on what I can do??

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
I know exactly what you mean. I have 'secrets' that i would never reveal to my psych for fear of what the outcome would be

Ashami

Ashami

Founding Member
Hi there Irishmam

Have u thought about writing a letter? One to your partner and one to your GP? Then follow up with a discussion.

:)

D

Dollit

I think sometimes it's the first time you say something that has the biggest fear factor. It's the fear of the response with me - what ifs run round my head like crazy and then suddenly it's out and I'm not being treated as though I'm odd. I recently told a friend that I loved them, I just shoved it in the conversation as a sort of "by the way" and then worried that I'd said too much. The person doesn't actually treat me any different except that before we could talk about anything and did and now it's somehow nicer. Not the same as talking to a GP or psych but outcomes are sometimes unexpected. :hug:

J

jooblue

Opening up

The problem I've had in opening up is simply not knowing where to start and agree that writing things down sounds like a good idea, even if you just make a list of feelings to take with you to the gp - he'll have something to work with then.

Of course, just walking into the consulting room and bursting into tears is quite effective too, i think they get extra tissues in when i have an appointment :eek:

irishmam

irishmam

Founding Member
thanks all

Hi all,

Thanks for all your lovely replies. I have started writing a letter but really don't know where to start and the way it is going I am going to end up with a 10 page 'assignment' to take along to my Gp!!

I can relate to the fear factor though. I am so scared but once I come out with it I expect I will feel really stupid for feeling so scared. I think some of it though, is that I don't want to burden anyone else with my 'baggage' (if you see what I mean) even my partner. He already worries enough about me.

I am frightened of what the consequences will be if I do say, things will be taken out of my control and at the moment I am a bit of a control freak.

Thanks again.
x:)

J

jooblue

It's really difficult to get away from feeling like we're dumping our baggage on loved ones (and the docs) but maybe it'll help your partner to know more about how you feel. If they're worried about you already they know something's up and might feel better to know exactly what it is? Plus the fact they are worried about you shows they care, and that's great because I am sure you'll get a lot of support :hug:

D

Dollit

Hi Irishmam - why don't you start with a list of things you feel - when I'm not well (depressed) the list could read

No appetite
No sex drive
I want to sleep all day
I feel scared but I don't know what of
I can't get up out of the chair
I forget to feed my cats

The last one being very important and my team know my cats rule the world. That gives the doctor something to go on and then you can say a little about each thing - it gets the whole subject going.
:hug:

M

Michael

Founding Member
All I can say is that writing worked and still works for me!

Michael

irishmam

irishmam

Founding Member
Hi all

Hello to everyone

Just wanted to say thanks again for all your advice the other day. I did what was advised and wrote all my feelings down and plucked up the courage to go to the surgery yesterday. Although I could not see my doctor, I still gave him the list and we discussed lots of things so I feel that things might start to go in the right direction.

I still have not managed to speak to my partner about some issues and I feel guilty for that but plan to do it in the next couple of days.

I certainly feel a bit lighter and a bit less worried but aprehensive now about what is going to happen next.

Thanks again!!

X:p

Fedup

Fedup

Founding Member
Hello to everyone

Just wanted to say thanks again for all your advice the other day. I did what was advised and wrote all my feelings down and plucked up the courage to go to the surgery yesterday. Although I could not see my doctor, I still gave him the list and we discussed lots of things so I feel that things might start to go in the right direction.

I still have not managed to speak to my partner about some issues and I feel guilty for that but plan to do it in the next couple of days.

I certainly feel a bit lighter and a bit less worried but aprehensive now about what is going to happen next.

Thanks again!!

X:p

Welldone you for making a positive step with the Gp :hug:
I hope in the next couple of days you manage another positve in talking with your partner :)

M

Michael

Founding Member
Well Done

:clap:

Believe me when I say WELL DONE

I can honestly say looking back that the first step was the hardest one to take.
Going on to tell others - in your own time - you may be surprised at the reaction as most people (not all) already sensed that something was wrong.
It could also be a relief for them as they will know what they are working against.

Anyway again WELL DONE

Michael:grouphug:

D

Dollit

Good for you Irishmam - the first step is always the hardest one and we'll be here for you! :grouphug: