Does anyone use Cannabis to manage their mental health issues?

O

Overthinker420

I suffer with depression and anxiety and take prescription medication for this. However, I also use Cannabis to manage my symptoms and find that it works for me... I understand for some people it can have a negative effect. But just wondering if anyone else uses it to manage their own mental health issues?
I am aware that this may not be a forever solution but I'm just doing what I need to right now, in order to juggle all my responsibilities.

Stay safe,
Peace out,
Overthinker420 :)

L

letmein

I suffer with depression and anxiety and take prescription medication for this. However, I also use Cannabis to manage my symptoms and find that it works for me..
Overthinker420 :)
I don't use or ever have but so could get hammered tonight...... i can't face the next 24hrs...

sunset547544

sunset547544

Are you mixing the cannabis with tobacco? Maybe you are dependent on the tobaco not the cannabis.

FunkTheFear

FunkTheFear

I do. It's the only let up I get sometimes.
However I'm aware that it doesn't really help, it's pretty much the same as having a large glass of wine or two every evening - not particularly healthy.
Sometimes I feel better for a while, but if I'm feeling particularly negative those thoughts can get stuck on a loop instead of chilling out.
I've lost my appetite in the last month, smoking pot helps to eat I guess but I tend to eat crap.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
i'm spending new years eve alone hanging around with the alkys i'd have company. taking dope i could do it a dope circle, i'd probably share some with the dealer when buying

and if it damages my health it's not as though i'm going to be fit for work or working with a schitzoprenia duagnosis, id i ended up in hospital xmas in the workhouse i'd have company, one friend he makes friends on the inside including some very attractive women he beds on the outside

i really wonder sometimes why i don't, i worry i might bite off more than i can chew

A

Aeir523

Oh yes. When I was a teenager they pumped me full of so many drugs I literally blacked out the years I was taking the nasty drugs the doc gave me :( made me worse. I was always taught weed is bad so when offered I was always “no no no” then one day just before I was 21 I was hanging out with some people and they offered I was just like “what the hell!” And oh my gosh! I would have smoked sooner if I knew how greatly it would help! I lived in MN so we just had brick weed from Mexico :/ was great! But I loved to CA and got my card. They passed the law so I didn’t renew my card *wink* haha

But some make me worse. Some make me feel normal and others make me feel stellar. I prefer sativa bc most indica doesn’t make me tired just more depressed :/

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
one mental health issue that isn't recognised as a symptom is loneliness and isolation and belonging to a group say smoking cannabis or drinking seems a very sensible thing sometimes to me

O

Overthinker420

Thanks for all your replies, it's good to hear other people's experiences.

I smoke pretty much all day at the moment but still lead a productive life. I don't drink alcohol & find that it calms me down & makes me more relaxed in order to do my job and study.
Obviously for some people it won't work and will enhance their symptoms, but the stigma surrounding cannabis smokers drives me insane (United Kingdom) when it does (in my opinion) have medical benefits. It also means I don't have to take so much prescription medicine.

Always up for a chat and happy to answer any questions

Happy New Year,
Stay Safe,
Peace out,
Overthinker420 :flower2:

Last edited:
R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
i've had neighbours with mental health issues whove held down jobs in the short term thanks to dope thing i worry about is long term, there is a lot of evidence. i beleive all drugs for mind should be short term, in a perfect world i'll add

Bizzarebitrary

Bizzarebitrary

It's been with me for most of my life. I first tried it when I was 13 and I grew it while in college.

Cannabis is legal where I live and there's no stigma. Due to the abundance, I was able to try many varieties and eventually find a strain that seemed to work best for my depression symptoms, another for anxiety and yet another for my chronic insomnia. I became something of a connoisseur, I baked treats for family and friends who wanted something to help them with pain or sleeplessness.

I stopped taking it completely about 3 months ago as a condition of my participation in an experimental program using intravenous Ketamine infusion for treatment of major depression. Ironic that, isn't it? I needed 60 days from cessation to provide a THC zero urine test because I was a heavy user.

Curiously I don't miss it much. Mostly I miss the sleep-aiding variety of Cannabis, the pills they prescribed for my insomnia are completely useless.

SunnyDaze

SunnyDaze

I do,I use weed to help with PTSD.

It does help.

N

Nena

Hi, I use marihuana daily to help with my anxiety and it works at times but another side of me also uses it as a crutch for loneliness and isolation. I find myself feeling inadequate to cope with day to day activities. On the outside I have a sucessful job, keep a flat by myself and have functional friends. I feel the once solution is becoming a problem. Like is not fun anymore if it makes me anxious and hate feeling dependant.
Thanks for listening!

N

Nas

one mental health issue that isn't recognised as a symptom is loneliness and isolation and belonging to a group say smoking cannabis or drinking seems a very sensible thing sometimes to me
I smoked from age 19 - 25. Then started again about a year ago. What started off as something I was planning on doing a couple of times, ended up helping me defeat on alcohol problem I struggled with. When I'm high, I don't want anymore than 2 beers, I start feeling nauseated. Sometimes if I'm drunk and I hit the weed, everything starts spinning before I puke.

Weed for me can sometimes make me feel down and guilty. I wanna say the indica sedative high produces more of that feeling, but not all the time and has even felt nice while falling asleep on pain meds or benzos.

I don't recommend MJ to someone who is naturally kinda lazy or really introverted and don't have a lot else going on. It becomes routine. You're looking for a sack, you're waiting on a sack, you're rolling up another. If you live in a state where it's illegal, good stuff can be costly. And if you hang around a bunch of potheads who smoke all the time, you end up burning through a bunch of cash. Which may bring you more issues.

Like someone else said, they're alone because they don't wanna be around drinkers. I had that problem, but now I'm always around heavy smokers which is similar.

R

Ramson bangers

Been smoking weed since age 13. My life has revolved around it for many years. What Nas says is 100% true and very typical i think.

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
I’m confused here, I havent taken any drugs since I was in my teens. Just felt I would rather get drunk. But hasn’t it been proven that cannabis can cause psychosis in a susceptible person so wouldnt it be counter productive in the long term. I’m not criticising anyone’s use of cannabis just asking a question.

R

Ramson bangers

I was vunerable to psychosis because of a combination of real events and cannabis use. I dont think i have been otherwise paranoid to be fair. It was a mixture.

schizolanza

schizolanza

I’m confused here, I havent taken any drugs since I was in my teens. Just felt I would rather get drunk. But hasn’t it been proven that cannabis can cause psychosis in a susceptible person so wouldnt it be counter productive in the long term. I’m not criticising anyone’s use of cannabis just asking a question.
They say it can cause psychosis in some people. They say the same thing about alcohol.

tiltawhirl

tiltawhirl

Bristol, TN/VA, USA (near mountains and 6 hours fr
I have been almost completely clean and sober for over 10 years. I smoked a lot of pot when younger but quit when I got on meds because meds handled things for me and the pot didn't mix well with them.

But since I am taking a university class that is very challenging but I love...and it is not uncommon for me to get up at 3am and work solid for 8-12 hours, I feel so completely drained that it makes me teary. Then I discovered that marijuana was the only thing that de-stressed me and have been seeking it out since. I can't afford it. I make other trades. But the relief is so great, I will continue as long as it works.

schizolanza

schizolanza

I think that spice is the real danger when it comes to mental illness, at least more so than cannabis. And people are ending up in A&E after smoking too much of it and saying they've had weed. It might look like cannabis but it is very nasty stuff. At least 100x more potent than canna and very cheap to buy. Seasoned 420ers danger of thinking they can handle it because it used to be legal and they grossly underestimate what will happen if they just put a little bit too much in their joint. Instant psychosis anyone?

schizolanza

schizolanza

I think canna can help a lot of people. I don't believe the horror stories. For me at least I will smoke it everyday if I've got it. So I don't have it most of the time. I think if you do have it everyday you have to be more disciplined with your life. I like it too much and it makes me chilled when really it would be better to be sober.
I do wish I could buy it at the local shop though. It seems totally stupid in 2019 we still have to buy from a dealer or grow our own!!!!