• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

does anyone use a SAD light?

Fairy Lucretia

Fairy Lucretia

does it work? im thinking of getting one but im a bit sceptical ,I don't see how it can help lift mood if its just a light ,wondered if they have helped anyone else xx

J

Justalittlebitmessedup

Yes but it mainly just helps me with the waking thing rather than mood.

pepecat

pepecat

I have one.

I used it a bit last year - but probably not enough as you need to use it every day so that the effect builds up.
For me - and I know it's not the same for everyone - daylight (or lack of it) affects my mood. It always has.
Doesn't really matter whether its summer or winter.....the grey miserable rainy days I find hard to cope with. Sunshine makes me feel better. Of course the shorter days this time of year don't help at all because at least in the summer it's lighter for longer.

The SAD lamp is ok.... you only use it for half an hour a day anyway, preferably in the morning when you're just awake or just got up. It's VERY bright, and meant to simulate daylight and make you feel better.
I didnt' find this winter as bad as others, so maybe it did work without me noticing!

Fairy Lucretia

Fairy Lucretia

thank you everyone x its sunny outside now and I still feel awful ,so maybe it isn't because its winter im feeling so sad
the difference at the moment is ,I have no energy and cant face doing anything ,usually that doesn't happen with my depression ,so I thought it might be down to the time of year
it might be instead all the stress recently and crying so much ,not eating properly and not sleeping ,im just worn out x I will have a look at the link and at a few lamps before I decide whether or not to get one xx

mrlaurel

mrlaurel

thank you everyone x its sunny outside now and I still feel awful
Lu sorry if I sound abit stupid here.

I know I' sure this has been said loads to you, and I don't know how it could work for you, but have you tried just being out more on days like this? talking the dog for a walk?

went to woodgate country park with Hilda yesterday and I didn't want to go, mood was nasty... but I felt so much beter after i was out... only walked 100 yards has back was bad but @ least i got out...

but i do know some poeple like the light box so if you think its SAD it might be worth going down that route,?

sorry talking rubbish.

Fairy Lucretia

Fairy Lucretia

you aren't talking rubbish x I walk maddie most days x its so dirty outside though ,there is disgusting things all over the ground and people are really scary ,im going to walk her in a minute though ,
doesn't sound silly at all xx

mrlaurel

mrlaurel

ginger? you must be so cute then xx
Lu you crack me up, I'm 48 balding old hippy who can't be arsed to shave from one month to the next. I'm 21st 6'1..

cute isn't aword that gets used much :)

Fairy Lucretia

Fairy Lucretia

well ,often I cant be arsed to shave from one month to the next ,but I still consider myself as cute :)you will always be cute sweet adorable stan to me :hug:

C

Callalily

I haven't used one myself Lu but I know a lot of people who have and they have found them to be really helpful. Apparently it is not something you can scrimp on though and you really do get what you pay for. I think a lot of people with MH problems feel worse in the winter months, I hate it when the clocks go back.