• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Does anyone try to self manage bipolar?

Zero One

Zero One

I have tried quitipine but makes me feel drowsy, and wake up with a dry mouth at night. I have read into other drugs and they seem to have similar side effects.

Drugs for bipolar all seem to be toxic to health like lithium. People say that these drugs can shorten your like.

I therefore am considering self manageing my problem.
Are you on benzatropine? That makes the mouth dry. I have just started Seroquel and the first day I was fine but after that I keep falling asleep. I hope it will be better tomorrow. I used to self manage and thought I was doing well but then realized that I am just as crazy as the homeless people who talk to themselves, my environment was just different. Now I love my psychiatrist so much, but he is too weird for me to marry him.😋

Zero One

Zero One

I don't think it is possible to self manage serious bipolar type 1. Also, another vote for Aripiprazole (Abilify) as an excellent, very effective and non drowsy antipsychotic, that also has mood stabilising properties.
I agree with you on Abilify.

B

boffin1252

Yeah perhaps the right medication will help me. I think I was manic last week feeling really happy, Full of energy, getting angry tho. Now I'm at an all time low I hope it doesn't last too long. I think not taking my meds has caught up with me now.

Speaking with psychiatrist on Friday.

G

gar66605

Self management? I am allergic to all psychiatric drugs (literally). The allergies started about 2 to 3 years ago. Unmedicated not so great.

G

gar66605

Abilify. Not so great. Cases compulsive behavior, like gambling. Lawsuits over last 3 years. Company settling out of court.

G

gar66605

Quetiapine. I took it before I became allergic. Liked it, took it at night to help me sleep. It really helped with the insomnia that comes with bipolar.

gyutube

gyutube

i have bipolar II and i have been un-medicated for about 4 years. it's been extremely difficult at times, but i think that it can be done. that said, i don't think it is a possibility for every single person, definitely depends on the severity of your illness and your access to other methods of support as well as your commitment. i also understand that if i get to a point where i realize it is no longer manageable, i will 100% be ready to go back on medication, so i think being realistic about the longterm is helpful.

HLon99

HLon99

Quetiapine. I took it before I became allergic. Liked it, took it at night to help me sleep. It really helped with the insomnia that comes with bipolar.
What dose of Quetiapine were you on? Did it help with mania?

trueloveseeker

trueloveseeker

Recent studies have shown that taking anticholenegenic medications over the long term lead to dementia. You can search the dementia risk on youtube. I personally think that pills are a primitive form of science and not helpful for me at all. Also trading depression for the risk of dementia is not worth it to me personally. Therapists and psychiatrists have never once even been helpful to me and I tried that route for many years just to learn that it was not helpful ever, not even one time.

Just give me frequent sex and THC and I am fine. I am happy. I have no problems at all if those two things are a regular part of life. I am currently wishing for a long term girlfriend for christmas by the way. Tired of sleeping alone in the dark.

U

Uther

Hi Boffin

Meds don't work for me. I've tried a LOT of different medications over the years, some actually made me worse. I've recently been to see a Mental Health professional (MHP)and he says they only work 30- 40% of the time. I would love to be in that 30-40%.

I HAVE found that CBT therapy does help somewhat.. it can be hard work. I often get 'self help fatigue'.
Self managing is ok for some, but you need to learn the correct tools so you can use them yourself. I believe a good MPH gives you these tools.

Good luck, stay resilient my friend.

M

Manic16

I started taking a 5:1 CBD/THC tincture and found that it definitely helps me do a 180 when I’m feeling like @$$. Now my only problem is I want to take it all the time even when I’m not in the lows or manic stage lol. They say it’s not habit forming which is a +. Currently looking into mints or gummies so I can take it at work. Something kinda strange about pulling out a dropper at work lol