• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

does anyone think

A

abbeyroad

does anyone think that ocd is caused by unresolved emotions and is a way of distracting yourself from inner feelings of hurt.
I had ocd all my life and believe it was caused by bottling my feelings up when my family or others said things to hurt me I would want to cry but stop myself.
Eventually as I got older by the age of 21 I was suffering panic attacks and anxiety, then by the age of 25 I had severe ocd, panic attacks, depression and anxiety.
When I was 34 I moved away from my parents and into a flat of my own where I was living alone and the ocd went away for the first time, but the panic and anxiety did not. Was living this way for six months and then something happened that made my life even more unbearable than ocd. I had a panic attack and went to my parents and they phoned the police and the police took me to a mental hospital. I have been to the mental hospital several times before with ocd. but on this occasion they made me stay there against my will and because I said I didnt want to take the meds they injected me against my will. Well if you want to read the story see my other posts, but to cut a story short, they decided to diagose me with schitzophrenia and some of the medication they injected me with called Depixol caused me to lose all my feelings and emotions. Have been off the meds for a year a half now but my feelings have never returned to this day.
I believe that maybe ocd and panic attacks can drive you to insanity I dont know, or could have been lonelyness that was really more my problem.
Wish none of this had ever happened to me and I was just normal.

schiz01

schiz01

Fear is one you left out.The world today is a scary place.
Maybe this vid will give you some insight

[YOUTUBE]<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_JOZPbkD4zY&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_JOZPbkD4zY&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

P

philmriv

Yes very much so!

It is about the deeper emotions.

I used to have OCD as well as having struggles with SAD.

Also it's about my relationship with my emotions (can I sit with / tolerate my emotions, or do I want to hide up in my head with my OCD obsessions)?

Feeling is the opposite of thinking, and when I learn to sit still, in a steady way, with my difficult emotions they lose their power to drive my OCD obsessions.

does anyone think that ocd is caused by unresolved emotions and is a way of distracting yourself from inner feelings of hurt.
I had ocd all my life and believe it was caused by bottling my feelings up when my family or others said things to hurt me I would want to cry but stop myself.
Eventually as I got older by the age of 21 I was suffering panic attacks and anxiety, then by the age of 25 I had severe ocd, panic attacks, depression and anxiety.
When I was 34 I moved away from my parents and into a flat of my own where I was living alone and the ocd went away for the first time, but the panic and anxiety did not. Was living this way for six months and then something happened that made my life even more unbearable than ocd. I had a panic attack and went to my parents and they phoned the police and the police took me to a mental hospital. I have been to the mental hospital several times before with ocd. but on this occasion they made me stay there against my will and because I said I didnt want to take the meds they injected me against my will. Well if you want to read the story see my other posts, but to cut a story short, they decided to diagose me with schitzophrenia and some of the medication they injected me with called Depixol caused me to lose all my feelings and emotions. Have been off the meds for a year a half now but my feelings have never returned to this day.
I believe that maybe ocd and panic attacks can drive you to insanity I dont know, or could have been lonelyness that was really more my problem.
Wish none of this had ever happened to me and I was just normal.

P

philmriv

I just re-read your story and something else occurred to me.

When I was 9 my Dad went to the Vietnam war (and I lived in a military community with a high casualty rate).

During that year I developed mild OCD.

But when my Dad came home from the war a year later, my OCD went away.

I also got (more severe) OCD again when I was in my mid-twenties (that was triggerd by some stressful events).

**And the second time, it took working on myself to get over it (it did not go away the second time by removing stressors).

But the first period of my life when I had OCD (as a child), removing a major emotional stressor (my fathers absence and uncertainty about his survival) actually eliminated my OCD.

A

abbeyroad

Thanks

thanks for reading my thread Philmriv

Im glad that someone agrees that ocd is due to bad emotions.
I think it is a terrible way we have learned to deal with emotions that does
not resolve them atall.
Trouble is it is a difficult to thing to stop because I believe that ocd becomes a habit.
Im glad to hear that there have been times that you got rid of your ocd.

M

markypuk

Think you may have a point

Hi yes i think there is a link to bottling emotions up and not realisin the deep harm they may do to us..
I have always been a bottler (have i invented a word or spelt it wrong) anywaaay yeah i have always bottled stuff up and have always been a deep thinker but for the past 15 years i have been unable to stop thinking about this that everything and nothing, stating off on one thing and then like a GTI moving on so quickly to other thoughts that i had no idea where i started off ?
We have to learn about ourselves or be taught to learn ourselves from the inside-out.
Im not going to bore you but talking to a professional Physcologist ?
A freind of mine has started a Councilling course at college and feels much better by learning about herself as well as others..
I personally have just started a course of Delantin (phenytoin) its an Anti Convulsant for Epilepsy but also slows activity in the brain for people like me that can't slow it down by my own thoughts...
Only been two days but feel likes a step in the right direction and brain and thought activity seems alot calmer.
Best of Luck Abbey Road

P

philmriv

HI,

I also wanted to mention that I am almost completely free of my OCD now (it has been about 95% gone for years).

Two things that helped me enormously were 1) Meditation (especially types of meditation focused on being more fully in the present-- like mindfulness meditation, insight meditation and vipassana).

Also 2) the 12 Steps (there are a few different 12 Step programs for OCD).

Best, Phil M

A

abbeyroad

sorry

Hello Markypuk

Im sorry to hear you have had the same problem, I think that bottling emotions is very harmful, I wish so much I had never done it. I hope the medication helps you, but personally I would not take medication again.
glad to hear its working for you . :)

yes Philmriv I believe that meditation helps, I believe that listening to music is very helpful also, there have been times when I have been too bad to switch on the tape though. :( Music has helped me a lot over the years though.
Glad to hear you are better.
Iv not heard of the 12 steps. Will look it up.
Thanks
Abbeyroad