• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Does anyone take recreational drugs whilst experiencing mania?

Kos

Kos

I just wondered what the connection between the two was. I know I do, and I know it's a common symptom but I'm not sure why when you are feeling high and excitable anyway......????

S

skyblue

I used to take recreational drugs, I stopped before having my children.
I know if I was to touch them now, I'd probably lose my mind and may never come back (I know this because of bad experiences). That thought scares me so much, I now stay way clear and lead a healthy lifestyle, I've changed my life around.
I've also had to pretty much give up alcohol altogether, this too makes me ill and can bring on an episode. I needed rehabilitation for alcohol in the past.

What I do recognise is that if i'm going through a manic stage I tend to chase the high by drinking lots of caffeine (coffee, cocoa cola and redbull), but other than that I wouldn't go anywhere near recreational drugs ever again, they can mess your head up in a big way.

The only thing I can think of as to why we chase the highs is the slight fluctuations (small periods of time where we come down alittle from the high) and we tend to want to chase that high feeling again and so for yourself you choose the drugs where I choose the coffee lol.

Last edited:
Kos

Kos

OMG yeah I seem to be going for huge coffees and numerous cans of redbull to substitute for drugs!!!!!!

S

skyblue

The highs can be addictive when we're in it, just like a drug itself.

Kos

Kos

I felt really sad when I found out the "highs" weren't real, I really thought I had beat my depression, and was doing really well and that I had such a bright future because I was such a fab person......it sucked to find out it was all in my head.

M

mood swinger

recreational drugs

if by recreational drugs you mean pot weed cannabis then yes .
i take this drug and have for many years and for me it is safer and helps me manage .being in controll of my drugs is very important to me when i am swinging as the drugs i take last as long as i want them to and are not a full 24 hours plus of the same balance which does not work for me .i have been diagnosed for BP 12 years plus and this works for me i to have to stay away from drink and also have a major coke/coffee stock pile (hello all)

T

TOONAFISH

i stopped taking drugs 6 years ago after ending up in hospital suicidal. anyway, when i was high i was totally up for taking coke, e's whatever. my hubby had to keep me in the house. i was always wanting to go to the pub and just clubbing etc. felt like i would be the best dancer going. lol

Mouse

Mouse

I used to do this. I suppose the only reason I haven't lately is because I haven't been manic in a while. I once took cocaine during a manic episode- SO not like me!! I was prepared to do anything though. I think when we're manic we know it will end soon so we try to keep it going and just go all out! I think another thing would be that mania makes you feel so indestructable and like every second counts and its just a desire to feel as good as possible.

J

jamesdean

I will give everyone good advice dont talk about recreational drugs here at mhf. JD

D

dreambuggieII

Answer

I would say yes, but as I'm a compulsive liar, I plead not guilty on the grounds of diminished responsibility and provocation.

I find it sorts out a few things and creates a few others...

my wheel

have a nice day

:)

K

Kat667

I drink endless cups of tea and cola. Which ends up making me twitchy.
I don't do 'recreational drugs'. Tried these 'legal 'E's' that gave me palpatations. Ephidrene was another one (used to be in a lot of diet pills) but I think it's illegal now, can't buy it anymore, it made me hyper and talkative but weighing 7 stone it wasn't a good idea to take something that causes me to loose weight.

A

Apotheosis

I used to take anything & everything for 17 years, when I felt high/low or whatever. I think that the highs & lows of my drug using were far more pronounced than for most people. I used to get massive highs; but also massive lows. It wasn't until I was honest with myself & honest about my drug use that I was able to address it. Sadly I don't think that most people ever reach that stage.

If someone has a MH difficulty; then from experience I would not advise taking drugs; but it should be personal choice - in an ideal World all drugs would be legal.

[People are free to discus any issue that they wish on MH Forum].

Last edited:
K

Kat667

Drugs such as alcohol and tobacco do so much damage but are legal.

The problem with things like cannabis is that there are varieties which are very strong and since it is illegal in this country, there is no way of knowing what you're getting or how strong it is.
Some people use cannabis for illnesses such as MS or Parkinsons and say it helps their symptoms. Perhaps it does if it is home grown herbal and not laced with anything else.
There is so much dodgy stuff out there like 'soap bar' which contains more plastic and other nasties than actual cannabis, have heard it said that the stuff was a conspiracy by the government to discourage people smoking cannabis resin, the stuff was so bad (like smoking tyres) that no-one would want to touch it!
I don't think it's a good idea to take street drugs with a MH problem. The lows following and dangers in taking amphetamines etc far outway the temporary highs, not to mention what these drugs are laced with or the criminal activities funded by the sale of illegal drugs.