• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Does anyone take lithium.

Colin76

Colin76

Founding Member
Hi all. Does anyone on the forum take lithium and how effective is it's use in bipolar. I'm only asking as i am seing my pdoc soon to see about changing my mood stabalizer meds, i seem to be cycling between highs and lows a bit to frequently lately for my liking.

Any feedback will be greatly received :)

D

Dollit

Just seen this Colin. I've been taking lithium a long time and find that for me it is the medication that works the best. Apart from the regular blood tests and the dry mouth I get on with it very well and I am quite stable on it.

Q

quality factor

Hi Colin,
I was on lithium for fourteen years,came off it six months ago. Looking back it stabilised my mood quite well,however I was on carbamazipine as well.
The worst thing for me was the weight increase and constant thirst..I drank copious amounts of cold drinks.
Now I am without it I realise how much good it did me, I'm hoping my consultant will put me back on it next time.
You get used to the frequent blood tests as time goes by.:scared:

G

gunnerwho

I've been on and off lithium for years. I should have spent much more time on it than I have. It works exremely well for me and I have never experienced any side effects.

Colin76

Colin76

Founding Member
Hi all.

Thanks for the replies. Have an appointment with my pdoc next week and i WILL let me change to lithium. Just have to use my mind tricks on him :evil:

Q

quality factor

lithium

Hi,
hope your "mind tricks" work, let me know if they do and I'll try them on MY pdoc!!
GOOD LUCK!:clap:

Colin76

Colin76

Founding Member
Well one day to go before i see my pdoc. I have been keeping a mood diary so he can how i have been the past two weeks.

The past three days have not been so good, fighting suicidal thoughts. Last night was the worst, i was actually becoming excited at the thought of wanting to kill myself. That really cant be a good sign. Something had better be done or i will kick his ass from here to kingdom come.