• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

does anyone swear infront of shrinks/drs?

M

mickeymoo

I actually find it very hard to express myself without swearing so always have to hold back in appts incase something slips out! Does anyone swear infront of their drs?

M

mad as a hatter

on many occasions they drive u 2 it

K

Katie84

I do, but try not to do as much as i do at home, dont know why she doesnt mind when i do.

S

skyblue

Lol @ Hatter, 'On many occasions they drive you it'. You could be right there !:D

I have no problem in expressing myself to Psychiatrists,.. have even told some where to go before :redface:.

I now have a really nice Psychiatrist, who I trust. He is really friendly and has a very therapeutic way about him and for this reason I don't find myself having the need to swear.

iffybob

iffybob

Too ****ing right I have / do ..... there not gods or special (well they are but.... ).. they just think they are ...

But you would have to hate the implied line .... "We want you to honestly express yourself ... but no swearing" ... thats got to be a farce .... :innocent:

M

mickeymoo

Laughing at replys! We are obviously a foul mouthed bunch of people.

What about swearing infront of your gp? Do the same rules apply? I'm a bit worried that I might get told off!:D:D

iffybob

iffybob

yep.... its not that I sware for effect .. its just the norm in some of my old social haunts .. so it just comes natural ..:drool:

I

IntrospectionFtw!

Yh i swear alot as you may of noticed on these forums..ive tryed to be more civil with my doctors because they've started writing stuff on my file saying im abusive and agressive though i never direct it towards them or insult them...its more just me expressing myself...quite immature i surrpose fuck em.

S

*Sapphire*

I don't often swear in front of professionals, and never direct it at them. I swore in front of my therapist a few times and she started asking me what the meanings were behind the particular words I used! :scared:

I never swore in front of her again after that!

M

mickeymoo

I guess she didn't like swearing!

iffybob

iffybob

Go for it .. the ask me what it means and I tell them .. they should not ask questions the dont want the answer to ...

My objection to people about not using "Swear" words is this ... look them up un the dicrionary ... next to the word is the word "vulgar" ,... look up that work .. it means "common" .. to use swear words is to talk as a common person ... the whole thing is a piece of left over holyer than thou crap from the upper and middle classes and used to beat us commoners down with ... so my vote is f**k 'em ....

.... the whole thing is given far to much importance ... always make sure that you are understood ... or at least try the best you can ..........

I

IntrospectionFtw!

i turn every session into a arguement..i cant stand my psychologist he has a go at me for using long words too descibe what im going through or "medical" terms...i mean what do they want me to do just sit there and humour them oh please help im so stupid i cant deal with my problems..theres a voice in my head im terrified.

S

*Sapphire*

Before you get all heated boB, I should say that when she asked the meanings behind the words I used I think she meant the meaning to me, I think she was asking a therapeutic question.:)

emski

emski

I think I swear more in front of my GP than I ever have done a psychiatrist, probably to do with the fact I've had about a bazillion more appointments with the GP. My GP calls me doll, which I could say is sexist/demeaning, so I guess I have a right to swear? Nah, seriously they are just normal words to me - GPs and psychiatrists use them so why shouldn't we!

Note to self, save up a load of swearing for next time I see a psychiatrist just to even out the score between them and my old doc!:)