• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Does anyone sometimes hate their mother?

Q

quilteddown10

This is hard for me to admit to because I love my mum. But also there are times when I find myself shouting I hate you at her in my head.

She’s done nothing wrong and she is helping me out a little bit financially even though she doesn’t have much.

But she’s a tough old bird and resolutely refuses to really accept how I am trapped by an illness that sucks the life out of me.

Her answer to everything is ‘well, you’re just going to have to get on with it aren’t you?’ in this staunch, matriarchal tone. I can’t bear it.

losingme1989

losingme1989

My mother is dead, so it would be a bit silly for me to hate her. 🤷‍♂️

SoftRain

SoftRain

When I was growing up I hated my mother all the time. I hated the word no.
As I grew older we developed a good relationship. She is gone now and I always loved her but sometimes I didn't like her!

E

Ele123

I have mixed feelings about my mother who died in 2015. She lied to me and kept things from me. At 17 I found out I had 3 half siblings by accident. She never told me, she lied that she was married to my dad, I found out after she died she wasnt. Her and my dad had affair and she walked out on 3 little kids, I struggle with what they done. She shouldnt have left 3 little kids, my dad shouldnt have played around with a married woman.
She showed me no love growing up. The animals got more attention than me. She shouldnt have had kids.

jajingna

jajingna

Didn't hate her, had some mixed feelings. She died in 2016. She was schizophrenic and that made her difficult to be around, and it was confusing growing up with troubled parents who didn't get along. I had an interest in mental problems when I was young, reading some books about schizophrenia and other things, and that helped me sympathize with her struggles.

A

Aurelius

Sounds like you love your mother but hate some of her behaviours/habitual responses to things. You should not feel ashamed, guilty or awkward about this, it is quite normal!!

JessisMe

JessisMe

I love my mother with all
of my heart. She is my main support in life and I lean on her a lot. I live with my mother and she provides me with transportation places. I do pay rent but she does the grocery shopping and I chip in for some of the food. I am on disability and do not work and my mother is retired so we spend most of each day together. Usually we do whatever she wants to do which is something that I am fine with. She does sometimes irritate me when we are involved with projects as her thinking is very different than mine but I get over it soon enough. xo, j

Capt Hooke

Capt Hooke

I hated the woman, and she's been dead for 25 years and I still hate her. I'm convinced she ruined my father's life and did a good deal to spoil mine. Of course, she had depression!

Me Myself

Me Myself

Yes, now more often than not. Not really sorry. She is a cruel fraud.