• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Does anyone smoke cannabis to control their symptoms?

updownupdown

updownupdown

Hi all,

I have been smoking cannabis most days, only about 2 - 3 joints a day but nevertheless still everyday for about 18 months now and I find if I don't smoke it, I become very hyper. Just last week I had a bad manic episode where I thought I had a calling from Buddha, I was emailing Buddhist centres and booking retreats etc, to cut it short, it all ended with me having a Buddhist Monk tattooed on my arm. I have had bipolar ever since I can remember, before I even touched cannabis but I'm just wondering if it could be making me worse. I beat myself up about it when I'm depressed but welcome it when I'm manic and don't/can't stop. I'm seeing my P Dr this week and was going to mention it but wanted other like minded peoples opinions first..

A

Affective

Hi all,

I have been smoking cannabis most days, only about 2 - 3 joints a day but nevertheless still everyday for about 18 months now and I find if I don't smoke it, I become very hyper. Just last week I had a bad manic episode where I thought I had a calling from Buddha, I was emailing Buddhist centres and booking retreats etc, to cut it short, it all ended with me having a Buddhist Monk tattooed on my arm. I have had bipolar ever since I can remember, before I even touched cannabis but I'm just wondering if it could be making me worse. I beat myself up about it when I'm depressed but welcome it when I'm manic and don't/can't stop. I'm seeing my P Dr this week and was going to mention it but wanted other like minded peoples opinions first..
Well it sounds like you do have the psychosis element to your illness. I think it has been proven that cannabis can worsen psychosis. So maybe talk to your doctor about this and get advice from him/her.

emski

emski

Cannabis will never control any symptoms of mental health problems, least of all any involving psychosis. It may seem like it in the short term (instant change of mood), but in the long run it will only make any mental health problems worse

S

skyblue

Yes, I have to agree with the others. Try and get some help to stop your habit, it will not help you in the long run.

Good luck :flowers:

updownupdown

updownupdown

I know you're right guys!! It's just that instant escape from this world I sometimes live in, I'm addicted to it!

Thanks for your responses :confused:

S

skyblue

If you feel you're unable to give up alone, you could try NA - Narcotics Anon they'll be a great support to you.

emski

emski

Same goes for booze - and I have to keep reminding myself of that by drinking the stuff and then feeling bloody awful for days afterwards.

If you're seeing your pdoc this week try and talk to them about it, and getting some support to stop

updownupdown

updownupdown

Thanks once again for the encouragement, I'll speak to my Dr and see if I can get some help. I'm just so scared he'll think bad of me!!!

S

suki1066

hello, im sure your Dr wont think bad of you, you have realised by yourself that you are addicted and you want to change that. you realise that dope affects you and want help and support. i think that you should be proud of yourself, well done x

updownupdown

updownupdown

Thank you Suki1066, I will try and keep that thought! (y)

emski

emski

Thanks once again for the encouragement, I'll speak to my Dr and see if I can get some help. I'm just so scared he'll think bad of me!!!
Your doctor is supposed to be a non-judgemental, impartial medical professional. (Although we can probably all think of examples of doctors who don't behave like this). Nevertheless, you have a problem, in that you have admitted to having an addiction, which is part chemical and part psychological. You have taken the biggest step in admitting your problem and if your doctor thinks bad of you, then he's not a good doctor and you should take your custom (remember doctors get all sorts of spurious bonuses) elsewhere.

Like suki says, you should be proud of yourself, because you have made the first step (y)

S

suzy

I have had some trouble, when I smoke it, and I only smoke it a little, it triggers a down the next few days. I am not smoking it again and I feel so stupid for thinking it was ok for me to try it when it obviously just triggers depression with me

S

skyblue

And as Emski's mentioned, exactly the same happens with alcohol. They are depressants.