• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

For more features and forums

Does anyone recall the day their brain officially broke and OCD took over?

Faith198

Faith198

I think physical abuse has a lot to do with ocd. I was too being beaten by my father out of the blue, I was constantly scared and I now realize that ocd was a coping mechanism, gave me a sense of safety and control
I’m so sorry you dealt with that too :hug: I’m glad we can both relate to each other in a way though. That’s exactly how I felt

M

MissPink

Was it a distinct moment or a slow build. I had traits and some small compulsions but they didn't provoke much anxiety and I wasn't even sure what they were at the time. It definitely didn't eat up my time like it did after it hit full-on.
It all happened when I was recovering from stress from a ex relationship. I moved down South and I had a lot of negative thoughts and my mind was going over board and it was focused on a bad thought that I could not stop thinking about and it tormented me for 3 years. Then my mum had a accident and then it started from there, the trigger came in and now it has lessened as I am much calmer, though. What I went through gave me a lot of stress mentally and took a toll on my life, I don't think I will be 100% better but I am 80% there... I manage every day without any pills

F

fightthegoodfight

I wasn't even aware it was building. All I knew was that my life seemed a lot scarier and there was no explanation. I developed OCD sometime around the age of 8. My grandmother had died very suddenly. She went into the hospital for a stroke, then had a freak accident while in intensive care and died shortly afterwards. She had barely made it into her sixties.

Completely messed me up, as I had adored her. I became extremely depressed, and very, very angry at the world.

Over time, I began having a lot of issues with obsessive and compulsive behaviors, especially some of the more stereotypical things like handwashing. I developed absolutely bizarre obsessions about germs and cancer being on literally everything. In one of my more lighthearted moments, I even obssessed that I was actually Darth Vader.

Yes. Darth Vader. Because that makes sense, you know?

Fortunately my father, who is a psychiatrist, had been seeing these things in me and brought in a close family friend who was a child psychiatrist to talk about it with me. I will never forget him coming to our house and sitting down with me and explaining OCD. He was this towering giant of a man, six foot nine, with a big old salt n pepper santa beard. But he was a big old softie. He explained the OCD so carefully, and gently, and in a way that made total sense to a kid. I felt so much better after, because finally there was some explanation to the hellish nightmare I had been experiencing in my head. Before him I was constantly terrified. I thought I was a freak.

I will be forever grateful to both him and to my dad for spotting it. I consider myself very lucky to have found out so soon as I know it often takes years of trial and error.